• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#81 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Boy I am not familiar with this at all. Why are the coming on every 15 seconds, wouldn't they just come on when heat was required? From what I gather these are meant to keep the temp at a constant level +/- .15 degree. Is that why they are cycling so often? I think I would go back to the old mercury switch and let the temp change a couple of degrees before they came on.

By cycling the heat in short bursts they maintain a more even temperature.  By running the heater until the mercury switch trips at the desired temperature, you end up over-heating a good portion of the room. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#82 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

^Yeah but it comes on a lot less often which seems to be your complaint with your system.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#83 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

I guess it depends on the temperature of the room and the set point.  If my room is 19 and I set it at 21, I don't notice it so much, but if it's 19 and I set it at 19, go to bed and the room drops down to 18, it cycles a lot more. 

I think it's just the older heaters that make it more noticeable. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#84 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Maybe it's time to replace them.  They don't cost much and are easy to replace.

#85 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

As an owner-builder be prepared to have a flexible work schedule as quite a few things coming during the course of the build that need attention.  Last week, one of the trucks delivering backfill went over the curb and ran over the neighbouring sprinkler box....neighbour discovered it, driver was not caught in the act so it's really my word against trucking company but in the meantime I am stuck footing the repair bill to maintain positive neighbour relations :)

The framers came back late this week, but managed to get a bit done in two days.  I'll have more pictures next week as the structure rises out of the ground.

20141117_114204_resized.jpg

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Wouldn't setting up a camera or several cameras be a good idea while construction goes on?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

Wouldn't setting up a camera or several cameras be a good idea while construction goes on?

It would be helpful but only for very specific scenarios.  This sprinkler box was a ways away from the home and a camera wouldn't have captured it.  Also, would be tough to monitor interior work with cameras and can't see too many trades’ people being too comfortable giving their best quote with a bunch of cameras sitting around :)  

• Mike K. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#88 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

That would be just a tad too neurotic, dontcha think?

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

You do realize you're being filmed literally everywhere you go nowadays, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Well setting up cameras at your residential construction site in central Saanich is a sure way to get all the trades on the island talking about how they once built a house for some crazy paranoid guy.  Never mind the costs which will be well in excess of the occasional sprinkler box.

Edited by pherthyl, 26 November 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#91 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

I would set up Go Pros to do a time lapse of any house I ever built from scratch. Hardly crazy.  

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

^so would I. That would be awesome.

Every construction site I've ever come across has cameras setup all over the place. I'm not sure why this is suddenly so bizarre.

Know it all.

#93 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

^so would I. That would be awesome.

Every construction site I've ever come across has cameras setup all over the place. I'm not sure why this is suddenly so bizarre.

On residential construction sites outside the crackhead core?   

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Really?

Know it all.

#95 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

What's your point?

Spending a grand or whatever setting up candid cameras at your home's construction site is probably going to end up costing you more money and time than you'll ever recover in the unlikely event of any sort of malfeasance.

#96 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's about making a time lapse of you custom house build! Doesn't need to be a grand. You don't need the latest GoPro... Setup 2 cameras. Any surveillance / monitoring benefit is secondary to having the time lapse of the build... It's a wonderful thing to watch later... plus if you aren't on site you can watch the dailies to get an idea what's happening. 

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

What's your point?

Spending a grand or whatever setting up candid cameras at your home's construction site is probably going to end up costing you more money and time than you'll ever recover in the unlikely event of any sort of malfeasance.

My point is if someone feels a home owner is neurotic because there's a camera at his construction site then they've just woken up from a 10 year coma or spent the last decade living in the forest.

Know it all.

#98 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

^ You are suggesting setting up several cameras for the construction of a single family home.

I would guess that most homes in Canada do not have a single camera set up, never mind several cameras set up. Only neurotic homeowners would have several cameras set up around their property.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

Evidently this hits a very sore spot for a couple of you. Yikes.

Know it all.

#100 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Evidently this hits a very sore spot for a couple of you. Yikes.

No, just trying to inject some logic into the conversation. :P

Edited by jonny, 26 November 2014 - 02:19 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users