#461 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

What a disaster

• Nparker, rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:30 PM

Staff say the configuration will allow for a total of 25 parking spaces. Eight regular stalls and six accessible spaces would be at the water’s edge with a split-rail fence separating the parking area from the new pedestrian-only zone.

The change, which will cost up to $275,000, will add 2,400 square metres of pedestrian space.

Council and staff stressed that the partial closure is an interim measure and that the public will have a chance to influence the park’s permanent design during a future planning process.

https://www.timescol...park-1.24287129

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 February 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#463 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

^ Right. There is also imminent public discussion on the JAM statue!

Whatever you allow them to do now is cast in stone.

• Nparker, sebberry, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

$275,000 of my tax dollars for a completely unnecessary change. October 2022 cannot come soon enough.

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#465 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:46 PM

That's a quarter-million dollar experiment.  And you know the painted asphalt will be worn away and look like rubbish in a matter of months.

• rmpeers likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:48 PM

That's a quarter-million dollar experiment.  And you know the painted asphalt will be worn away and look like rubbish in a matter of months.

did we do painted asphalt once before and it didn't work?    :rtfm:  

• sebberry likes this

#467 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

Staff say the configuration will allow for a total of 25 parking spaces. Eight regular stalls and six accessible spaces would be at the water’s edge with a split-rail fence separating the parking area from the new pedestrian-only zone.

The change, which will cost up to $275,000, will add 2,400 square metres of pedestrian space.

Council and staff stressed that the partial closure is an interim measure and that the public will have a chance to influence the park’s permanent design during a future planning process.

https://www.timescol...park-1.24287129

Is that just like we were supposed to have a say in closing off Beacon Hill Park after 4 months?  Interesting how the parking spots will face east so we lose the sunsets and the better views.  Is that split rail fence the ugly one that is up on Dallas Road?  

• sebberry likes this

#468 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Is that just like we were supposed to have a say in closing off Beacon Hill Park after 4 months? ..Is that split rail fence the ugly one that is up on Dallas Road?  

Yes to both of your questions.

#469 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:20 PM

Sounds like council agreed to limit parking to that in proposal B with 8 regular parking spots and 4 accessible spots at the base of Clover Point. I was surprised how SA voted on some of the proposed amendments to limit costs.

I am very disappointed in SA and wrote to tell him so.

#470 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:35 PM

SA's comment was that council are not experts as creating parks (or words to that effect) so we should go with the recommendations of our parks staff. Fair enough, but that doesn't eliminate the need for oversight in ensuring that parks staff do proper consultation and that they are actually polling the community and stakeholders and not just doing the biding of the Mayor and a few anti-car fanatics.

• Nparker, rjag, sebberry and 1 other like this

#471 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:40 PM

Step one complete

Step two will be the tents arriving

This is a good step , Mayor Helps may just yet get her statue!

• rmpeers likes this

#472 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

Step one complete

Step two will be the tents arriving

This is a good step , Mayor Helps may just yet get her statue!

The tents wont go there, it is too cold and windy!  Better to be in the park where there is shelter!

No matter, we knew that she would just push her agenda through no matter what people thought.  I, for one, am just boycotting Victoria, other than my grocery store and Il Covo restaurant.  I shop where I can get parking, where I do not get hassled by street people and I do not have to work my way through bike lanes.  At malls, parking is free, there is security and easy access to all stores.  Langford has great stores also and I am going there more and more.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

.... we knew that she would just push her agenda through no matter what people thought...

Her Worseship a tyrant of the first order.

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#474 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:02 PM

We're going to more places in Oak Bay to shop, that's for sure. I'm not a big shopper but will do even more to avoid downtown except for the Dutch Bakery and a couple of book stores. 

As far as staff recommendations, I feel that many of them are on the fanatical side as well, so I have no confidence in them either. I know that's certainly true when it comes to bike lanes, why should parks be any different? Eight spots is ridiculous. They will be hearing from me....AGAIN.

• Nparker, sebberry, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

...As far as staff recommendations, I feel that many of them are on the fanatical side as well...

And the ones who aren't fanatics are afraid of their council overlords.

• mbjj and jrm like this

#476 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Her Worseship a tyrant of the first order.

I was one of the 483 who wrote her emails regarding Clover Point.  She wrote us a VERY long BS letter about the history of CP, etc.  and  ended it with "it's time for the days of driving right up to the ocean to come to an end."  It was very obvious that her mind was made up and if she had her way no cars would be down there at ALL!  I wrote to her and said that one day she would be old and not very mobile.

• Nparker, sebberry and mbjj like this

#477 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:13 PM

We're going to more places in Oak Bay to shop, that's for sure. I'm not a big shopper but will do even more to avoid downtown except for the Dutch Bakery and a couple of book stores. 

I've never really been a big shopper and while I don't specifically boycott downtown, I simply go where it's easier.  Path of least resistance.  

Amazon has been great, although I'll give a shout out to All Victoria Vacuum for helping me the other day with a very specific part.  Sort of on the way home and free parking.  If they were downtown?  Not so much.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#478 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:30 PM

I was one of the 483 who wrote her emails regarding Clover Point.  She wrote us a VERY long BS letter about the history of CP, etc.  and  ended it with "it's time for the days of driving right up to the ocean to come to an end."  It was very obvious that her mind was made up and if she had her way no cars would be down there at ALL!  I wrote to her and said that one day she would be old and not very mobile.

I doubt she wrote it but look at the upside, you generated some work for at least one of the 12 PR folks the CoV employs.

• jrm likes this

#479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

I was one of the 483 who wrote her emails regarding Clover Point.  She wrote us a VERY long BS letter about the history of CP, etc. ...

I too received a copy of that missive. I had to disinfect my email inbox afterwards.

• mbjj and jrm like this

#480 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

SOP ... make an absolutely ridiculous proposal, then look reasonable when you "compromise" by putting in half of it which is probably double what you really wanted!

what a bunch of suckers COV councillors are!

• sebberry, Victoria Watcher and jrm like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users