Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#501 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:40 PM

Id be surprised if they get turfed. I think Victoria residents firmly support what's happening which is why we must fight hard against amalgamation. Victoria should be the containment zone. I'm okay if Saanich succumbs to it too though. Nothing lost there either.

Sadly there is some truth to that.  I am seeing some issues being created out in Sooke though...

#502 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:40 PM

Id be surprised if they get turfed. I think Victoria residents firmly support what's happening which is why we must fight hard against amalgamation. Victoria should be the containment zone. I'm okay if Saanich succumbs to it too though. Nothing lost there either.

I don't believe most Victoria residents support them. Look at the byelection results.
  • Nparker and jrm like this

#503 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

Perfect spot for a picnic 😳🤦🏼‍♀️
https://www.reddit.c...utm_name=iossmf
  • On the Level likes this

#504 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:12 PM

I don't believe most Victoria residents support them. Look at the byelection results.

Then please explain their actions. If there's no support for this there should be pitch forks at city hall. Nope I figure it'll be a massive landslide for tv again. Voters in Victoria see the homeless camps and everything else and whole hearted support it all.

Edited by tanker, 26 February 2021 - 07:13 PM.

#505 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:29 PM

If you don't mind the drive, Albert Head lagoon, Taylor beach, Weirs beach and Pedder Bay are all spots you can park reasonable close to the sea.

I, for one, do not go downtown at all anymore!  I was out yesterday checking out other sites by the water and will find a new place to go.  I was so looking forward to CP opening up again but I will find another good spot.  Cattle Point is good, Saxe Point is good (but not a lot of parking), the lagoon is good.  Many other good spots.

As so wisely mentioned by the two posters above, there are many great locations for ocean front parking. Not a fan of the expenditure at this point, but parking on one side is reasonable and fair, as would having no parking there. I’ve heard whining the proposed parking doesn’t provide views across to the Olympic Mountains. Well, dozens of Dallas Road spots do. Oh, but it doesn’t provide a view of the sunset! Ok, put the parking on the other side and people would complain it doesn’t provide a view of the...SUNRISE. Seriously, it’s a tiny rocky outcrop of land - and yet some folks believe they have a right to have an asphalt parking lot on it providing 180 degree views. Of course views are only straight on for the most part, especially if there are cars parked on either side of you. Maybe we need to build roads out from Clover Point to little rotating parking lot islands big enough for one vehicle - think a mini version of the Dubai islands but with motorized rotation thrown in.

Picnic tables are food trucks are a dumb idea - especially taking into account how windy it is. Can you imagine all the napkins, plastic and food wrappers that will get blown away and over the cliffs into the natural bird sanctuary below, into the ocean, eventually getting trapped in a great white shark’s blowhole, resulting in its tragic death.
  • Matt R. likes this

#506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:32 PM

Sadly there is some truth to that. I am seeing some issues being created out in Sooke though...

What’s happening there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#507 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:24 PM

What’s happening there?

Mayor Maja Tait 

Sooke has bands of caring volunteers and its food bank tries to accommodate everyone, but the influx of people is testing the community’s patience and resources.

“It’s when we have new folks coming out this way, they don’t fit into the culture of the shelter, they get turned away and it causes problems,” she said.

“So is that the answer? We just drive them back to your various communities and say: ‘OK, you need to look after your own?’ ” Because that’s what our community is urging me to do.”

"Just let them die alone in the forest? That’s just … The reality of the situation is heartbreaking.”

https://www.timescol...ness-1.24217199

#508 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

Maybe we need to build roads out from Clover Point to little rotating parking lot islands big enough for one vehicle - think a mini version of the Dubai islands but with motorized rotation thrown in.

Why stop there?  Build a huge turntable on Pointless Picnic Point.  Everyone can then share the view and they can vary the speed of the spinning to cancel out the wind so you can sit at the picnic tables, play ping pong or whatever.  

I don't know why Staff didn't come up with this on their own.

• zoomer likes this

#509 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

...Voters in Victoria see the homeless camps and everything else and whole hearted support it all.

It's not that most Victoria residents support the TV bull$#*&, it's that many voters are apathetic and TV know how to rally its troops.

• Love the rock, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#510 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

Mayor Maja Tait

https://www.timescol...ness-1.24217199

Ah, thank you.

I think the community made it known that they will not buy into the 24/7 camping Victoria implemented. Once the shelter opened camping in parks disappeared and the RCMP made their presence felt. At least that’s the word on the street.
  • Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#511 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:44 PM

It’s a tiny rocky outcrop of land - and yet some folks believe they have a right to have an asphalt parking lot on it providing 180 degree views.

It's hardly a parking lot. If the city ever made any effort to maintain the grass at Clover Point there could be an abundance of green space here.

Capture.PNG

• sebberry and pennymurphy2000 like this

#512 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:50 PM

It's not a parking lot, it's a viewpoint.

• Nparker, sebberry, Love the rock and 2 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#513 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:41 PM

It's hardly a parking lot. If the city ever made any effort to maintain the grass at Clover Point there could be an abundance of green space here.
Capture.PNG

It's the greenest parking lot I've ever seen.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#514 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:25 AM

Colwood just about closed the Lagoon down for traffic until there was backlash. Why doesn't public pressure even work on Victoria council? Is their vote so locked in there's zero chance they'll lose or what?

public pressure doesn't work for city council (ok it might work for the odd thing in pre-covid times like the horse carriages) the beacon hill park petition got over 28,000 signatures before they even acknowledged it then they blew it off calling people a bunch of haters.. that is more people that voted for any one of those sitting in the chair at that table.. and we get a great big "meh" from mayor and council about what the people in this city want

• Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#515 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:08 AM

That's a quarter-million dollar experiment. And you know the painted asphalt will be worn away and look like rubbish in a matter of months.

They recently repainted ship point and it looks like cr*p. What an eyesore and an embarrassment.

#516 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

public pressure doesn't work for city council (ok it might work for the odd thing in pre-covid times like the horse carriages) the beacon hill park petition got over 28,000 signatures before they even acknowledged it then they blew it off calling people a bunch of haters.. that is more people that voted for any one of those sitting in the chair at that table.. and we get a great big "meh" from mayor and council about what the people in this city want

Conversely, how many times have we heard the mayor bring up a single email she received as the reason for doing something she wanted to do anyway? Hint: many, many times!!!
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#517 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

What does Ship Point look like now? I'm rarely down that way.

#518 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:36 AM

It's not a parking lot, it's a viewpoint.

A viewpoint with a parking lot - correct.

Come on guys, let's not resort to Together Victoria language gymnastics. Are there cars PARKING there? Yes. Are there a LOT of cars there? Yes. That makes it a PARKING LOT.

And to make matters worse there are no time constraints or meters to feed, so it's even better than the downtown lots.

Putting some grass in the middle doesn't change the fact that it's a parking lot, just as putting raspberry jam in the middle of a donut doesn't change the fact you're still eating a donut - and not a raspberry.

PS - this post is intended for humour or lack of humour purposes only.

#519 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:00 PM

Someone posted to one of the Facebook pages a photoshop showing a family sitting on a picnic blanket in the middle of a parking lot resembling something like you'd find at the mall.

That's why it's laughable to call Clover Point a parking lot.  

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#520 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

A viewpoint with a parking lot - correct.

Come on guys, let's not resort to Together Victoria language gymnastics. Are there cars PARKING there? Yes. Are there a LOT of cars there? Yes. That makes it a PARKING LOT.

no it really isn't.  in most parking lots 99 or 100% of the car occupants leave the area.  

at clover point - often depending on the weather - up to 100% stay in their vehicles for the duration of the vehicle stay.

• Nparker, mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users