Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#561 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

^ strange behaviour.  guy drives from parking lot to parking lot all day.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#562 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

^ strange behaviour.  guy drives from parking lot to parking lot all day.

Hehe, not all day, maybe a nice 45 min drive in my fun car  :wave:  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#563 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:18 PM

Try not to cry

https://www.youtube....h?v=hUpVOttEweY

• On the Level, Teardrop and jrm like this

#564 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:20 PM

The crowds of families that rode their bike down there picnicking.... unreal!!!

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Victoria Watcher like this

#565 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:31 PM

That video is exactly why the local anti-car brigade wants to banish vehicles from Clover Point. They hate the idea of a place where cars are more popular than pedestrians or cyclists. It's a like a red flag to a bull to them.

What I also see is whole lot of green space that mostly goes unused except when the weather conditions are ideal. All the reconfigurations by the geniuses at City Hall aren't going to be able to do a damn thing about that.

• Victoria Watcher and jrm like this

#566 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

That video is exactly why the local anti-car brigade wants to banish vehicles from Clover Point. They hate the idea of a place where cars are more popular than pedestrians or cyclists. It's a like a red flag to a bull to them.

What I also see is whole lot of green space that mostly goes unused except when the weather conditions are ideal. All the reconfigurations by the geniuses at City Hall aren't going to be able to do a damn thing about that.

Well the green space is totally unused because it's so terribly dangerous to cross that road to get to it.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#567 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

Well the green space is totally unused because it's so terribly dangerous to cross that road to get to it.  

And the ones who weren't afraid to cross the road were wearing grass-green camouflage when the video was made, rendering them invisible.

#568 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

Better still is Fairfield resident Maureen Jones’ reply to the Aryze parkade tweet:

“I think your "sense of humour" needs an adjustment. Not funny when so many of us are seriously suffering varying degrees of depression from not being able to access Beacon Hill Park, and now, it seems we are precluded from Clover Pt. as well.”

Maureen’s interests as shared on Twitter are “France, food, philosophy, photography, champagne, espresso, travel, naked swimming :)

It's funny you singled that out because the woman you're referring to is one of the biggest whiners on this site; in this very thread actually.

• Matt R. likes this

#569 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:16 PM

Now that Twitter thread from VW is a hilarious read! Wow, folks are getting all worked up with no sense of humour over this park parking lot debate! I actually feel a bit sorry for Aryze (or the person behind Aryze posts), who support a car free Clover Point, and in their other comments suggested Dallas Road as an alternative car parking option.

There is a very good reason why you rarely hear a word from the vast majority of successful developers in town. They quietly work behind the scenes to get their projects approved and then quietly get them completed. Like most business people, they are very reluctant to pick "sides" out of fear that a leadership or council change might seriously impact their business.

Edited by spanky123, 02 March 2021 - 07:16 PM.

#570 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

I bet Clover Picnic Point must have been packed today with all those families riding their bikes down for picnics and watching the storm. 

• Nparker, sebberry and pennymurphy2000 like this

#571 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:23 PM

I bet Clover Picnic Point must have been packed today with all those families riding their bikes down for picnics and watching the storm. 

I walked down there this evening.  Pretty steady wind and only one other person walking around.  About the only thing Clover Point is good for on a night like this is sitting in the car, reading, whatever and enjoying the weather, view, etc..  If people aren't hanging out up at the top, nobody is going down to Picnic Point on a night like this.  What a waste.

https://youtu.be/Bb1CHCkOw_E 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#572 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:57 PM

Hard to have a picnic in a storm, probably wouldn’t be out there on a day like today. Especially with the area still closed off. Good thing there are lots of suitable days for picnics and other activities down there. Good thing we don’t avoid a project because it’s windy sometimes.
  • jrm likes this

#573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:17 PM

It’s true. The City spent thousands on an industrial table tennis set that’s growing moss.
  • Nparker, rjag, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#574 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

I dunno Sebberry, your video is pitch black - hardly proof that will stand up in the court of public opinion! In fact I downloaded it, increased the lighting and I was able to count 213 people picniking in the dark and wind.
  • Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 1 other like this

#575 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:28 PM

Hard to have a picnic in a storm, probably wouldn’t be out there on a day like today. Especially with the area still closed off. Good thing there are lots of suitable days for picnics and other activities down there. Good thing we don’t avoid a project because it’s windy sometimes.

Maybe, but the city seems hell bent on eliminating space for an activity that can ben enjoyed year-round in exchange for one that is highly weather and time-of-day dependent.  There's already a massive pedestrian friendly realm that exists or is being developed.  Why isn't that good enough?  It far eclipses the amount of space dedicated to cars.

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#576 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:13 AM

Windy sometimes! hahahaha good one! 

I would challenge there are more unsuitable days to picnic on that point than there are suitable...what to do on all the other days? Oh right, maybe play table tennis...FFS

Btw people were having picnics there long before Her Woke Worshipness and her Clown Council decided whats good for us

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 1 other like this

#577 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:29 AM

I’ve never seen anyone have a picnic there before, but maybe they have been. And no, not because of inclement weather, but maybe a grass patch with no benches or picnic tables and being surrounded by cars and exhaust isn’t the most appealing place for a picnic? Why not make it better?
  • rjag likes this

#578 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:39 AM

I’ve never seen anyone have a picnic there before, but maybe they have been. And no, not because of inclement weather, but maybe a grass patch with no benches or picnic tables and being surrounded by cars and exhaust isn’t the most appealing place for a picnic? Why not make it better?

People go get take-out all the time and sit on a log down by the water with friends.  Why not simply put picnic tables in the already expansive pedestrian-only areas?  This idea that they'd just be sitting around sucking in exhaust is silly.  The only times people are sitting there with the engine running is for heat on a cold windy day, not exactly conducive to picnicking.

I don't see why it's so hard to see that this plan shuts out one of the few reasonable year-round, day-round uses of the area.  Might it get more pedestrian activity on nice days?  Probably.  But why lock out cars when the weather conditions aren't suitable for picnicking or toddlers peddling around with balloons tied to the handles of tricycles?  

• jrm likes this

#579 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:42 AM

Further on the idea of exhaust fumes - I'm a regular visitor at Esquimalt Lagoon regardless of the weather.  There's plenty of people parked there and there's nothing I find more irritating than... wait for it.... someone lighting up a cigarette 100 feet upwind.  The stench from the smoke of a a single cigarette blowing my way far eclipses anything I experience from idling cars.

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and kitty surprise like this

#580 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:49 AM

I agree, with proper and fair consultation anything is possible. However this wasn't the case. This was rushed through in the same manner as the SJA Statue debacle. 

I will challenge you on this part

maybe a grass patch with no benches or picnic tables and being surrounded by cars and exhaust isn’t the most appealing place for a picnic

There are acres of space from Clover Point all the way to Beacon Hill for picnic tables and ample room for all modes. The air at the Point, because of the constant breeze is likely as good as its going to get. Very little opportunity for vehicle fumes to permeate someone's lungs. I'm sure you breathe in far more exhaust standing at a bus stop in a day than you would in a year at the Point.

Again, as has been stated before, there is ample space down there for all. This is nothing more than a continuation of misplaced ideology

Edited by rjag, 29 March 2021 - 09:15 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 5 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users