Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#641 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:00 PM

/\ also lots of empty parking spots at Clover Point and Dallas Road. Maybe time to eliminate some?

:)

Maybe they should turn that picnic area into a high quality bocci field or croquet? People like to golf along the ocean, but for these two the balls are bigger, heavier and low to the ground, so better suited for the environment. Basketball court?

Edited by zoomer, 11 July 2021 - 10:01 PM.

#642 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:36 AM

/\ also lots of empty parking spots at Clover Point and Dallas Road. Maybe time to eliminate some?

Half the spots from what I saw when I was there are for handicap parking, hence the empty spots. 

#643 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:55 AM

Half the spots from what I saw when I was there are for handicap parking, hence the empty spots. 

All these 'accessible' (to be politically correct) spaces were done as a big middle finger from the city to everyone who was claiming that closing off Clover Point would be unfair to those with mobility challenges.

As if everyone with a mobility challenge has an accessible parking pass....

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#644 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

:)

Maybe they should turn that picnic area into a high quality bocci field or croquet? People like to golf along the ocean, but for these two the balls are bigger, heavier and low to the ground, so better suited for the environment. Basketball court?

Yup, and it will be as popular as the table tennis table. The prior use was the most equal use for everyone across the region. Its funny how the anti-car placemaking crowd shout equality only as long as its their version of equality. 

The highest and best use for this area has been and continues to be a rotational viewpoint that citizens across the region used. There was no reason to change this to deny access as was done. With the recent spectacular weather, I would submit has been proven that the current use is ineffective. All you have to do is go to Cattle Point, King George Terrace & OB Marina and see where citizens have migrated to....meanwhile Clover Point looks like a barren wasteland

Edited by rjag, 12 July 2021 - 09:25 AM.

• Nparker, sebberry, DavidSchell and 7 others like this

#645 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

That's why I make the drive out to Esquimalt Lagoon 4+ times a week when I want a nice place to sit and watch the water and drink tea.  At least until gas wasn't $100/tank.

• On the Level and jrm like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#646 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

I wonder why drive-in movie theatres and restaurants failed, when drive in coastal/mountain scenery is thriving? We have Cattle Point, King George Terrace, OB Marina, Esquimalt Lagoon, Cadboro Bay, Mount Tolmie - heck I know I’m missing at least a half dozen more. Or is it possible there are too many options and not enough cars? To increase attendance perhaps we need to close a few? Or should we start charging parking fees at the more popular ones to encourage parking again at Clover Point (we can make that half price as part of a trial - $5 an hour instead of $10 elsewhere).

I do think that having a sporting attraction would draw more cars to watch though. Waves and clouds can only do so much (mountains move so slowly it takes centuries to notice), so when you’re bored of that, you can watch the pick up basketball game, or bocci.

#647 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:33 PM

I wonder why drive-in movie theatres and restaurants failed, when drive in coastal/mountain scenery is thriving? 

Drive in movie theatres didnt fail, they were created in the 50-6-'s on outskirts of town and those towns grew and enveloped them, the land became more valuable to develop and by the early 80's we had Dolby sound and multiplexes.

Many drive-in movies, especially smaller, rural theaters, closed because they could not afford to purchase the new digital equipment. But there are still approximately 325 drive-ins theaters opened in the United States. Many have gotten creative in how to stay in operation. They also had to compete with VHS

Same as drive in restaurants, the classic A&W on OB Ave etc was sitting on a goldmine of land value....

But you keep on keeping on....hopefully Corey or Erik or Bran or Ray will feed you some other nonsensical defence of what is bad policy catering to only a few while denying the many....equality eh? RRRRRiiiiigggghhhhtt

Edited by rjag, 12 July 2021 - 06:45 PM.

#648 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:56 PM

Car drivers complaining about the lack of equality is like Karen complaining about systemic racism against white folks.

Anyways rjag, I think you hit upon it - a drive in A & W for Clover Point! Right in the friggin middle of a restored full circle loop - how cool would that be! It would attract tourists from across North America.

Anyways, all in good fun rjag, and I don't even know those names you mentioned. Are they regulars at the Legion?
  • rjag likes this

#649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:32 PM

Car drivers pay for a lot of the nice stuff you enjoy through gasoline taxes, though. Every year millions of dollars from the billions paid in gas taxes on Vancouver Island comes back into your community, in addition to paying for the roads we all rely on. Imagine all the things you wouldn’t have, or would have to pay more for through property taxes/higher rents if drivers weren’t funding them through the pump.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#650 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:38 PM

Ah yes, the old 'go elsewhere' to enjoy it, drive further and burn more fuel! Soon, elsewhere also gets the bright idea of closing their lookouts in favor of picnic tables and eventually you run out of elsewheres.

7:00 this evening, picnic point had about 10 people walking around.  Maybe two sitting in benches and nobody picnicking.  

Why they didn't put the benches on the grass I don't know. Oh right, stick it to the 'privileged' car drivers.

• Nparker likes this

#651 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:41 PM

What does the gas tax contribute to besides highways and bridges?

But more importantly, where was the old A&W drive in on OBA? When did it close down?

#652 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:07 PM

But more importantly, where was the old A&W drive in on OBA? When did it close down?

It was located where the Red Barn Market currently sits. It was awesome in the early 80's and a total hangout. This was where you'd go on the weekend evenings if you wanted to find out where the house parties were. Payless gas was where the Shell is now next door, gas was $.25-.29/litre and Venderkerkhove (the owner of Payless) started the gas war with the majors and there were times when gas was $.10/litre. 

• rmpeers likes this

#653 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:08 PM

Car drivers complaining about the lack of equality is like Karen complaining about systemic racism against white folks.

Anyways rjag, I think you hit upon it - a drive in A & W for Clover Point! Right in the friggin middle of a restored full circle loop - how cool would that be! It would attract tourists from across North America.

Anyways, all in good fun rjag, and I don't even know those names you mentioned. Are they regulars at the Legion?

Maybe Lisa would go for a mobile A&W food truck but it would have to serve fake meat. 

#654 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:13 PM

Interesting stuff, thanks for the history lesson!
  • rjag likes this

#655 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:15 PM

Tons of stuff. Lots of the bike lane funding in Victoria came from gas taxes. Gas taxes also help fund public transit, at $5.50 per hundred litres of fuel purchased.

For example, in 2016 the City of Victoria received $3 million in gas tax dollars to put towards ‘green’ infrastructure pursuits.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:16 PM

Langford just held a drive-in movie night at Western Speedway. It was very well attended.

Know it all.

#657 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 04:41 AM

So what happens as we are transitioned to electric? Do they add the taxes to the vehicle ownership or to the hydro rates? 

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#658 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 05:11 AM

So what happens as we are transitioned to electric? Do they add the taxes to the vehicle ownership or to the hydro rates? 

we have smart meters.  i don't think it would be too hard for the government to ask us to declare electric car ownership and tax that somehow.  

or they could add it to your odometer reading somehow.  

but electric car ownership is pretty tiny right now.  so gas taxes will generate money for years to come.

• rjag likes this

#659 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

Road pricing and/or VMT (vehicle miles traveled) charges. I think the latter is more likely and easier to implement.

#660 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:26 AM

I wonder why drive-in movie theatres and restaurants failed, 

Starbucks is shutting down in-store locations to open up drive thrus.....

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users