Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#781 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,727 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

Now who wouldn't want to sit down to a lovely picnic at one of those tables?

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#782 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:23 AM

...Helps raises the issue of the urban heat island which has absolutely nothing to do with climate change and frankly, is irrelevant to Victoria...

....She offers the ideological notion that we must go all in on the sharing economy if we “want our children and their grandchildren to survive and thrive.” Here she is confusing an Orwellian approach to social engineering with what is needed for climate change mitigation...

...When you justify a poor decision by evoking climate change, you end up polarizing the electorate into two camps: Cheerleaders who blindly, and unquestionably, follow along; and those who recognize the illogical string of arguments in the justification...

https://www.timescol...deas-1.24348740

Ok so there we have it, Obee, Helps and Weaver duking it out in the TC for all of us to see and derive opinions from. 

Kinda like the good, the bad....and the ugly. 

Well done folks ...I embrace the discussion.  

• rjag, sebberry, DavidSchell and 3 others like this

#783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,986 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:25 AM

Now who wouldn't want to sit down to a lovely picnic at one of those tables?

play a couple sets of ping pong on it first, that'll loosen that sh*t up.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#784 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:29 AM

^^ ...and for those of you that do not know what Weaver is referring to with his use of the word Orwellian, here is a refresher for you.

"Orwellian" is an adjective describing a situation, idea, or societal condition that George Orwell identified as being destructive to the welfare of a free and open society. It denotes an attitude and a brutal policy of draconian control by propaganda, surveillance, disinformation, denial of truth (doublethink), and manipulation of the past, including the "unperson"—a person whose past existence is expunged from the public record and memory, practiced by modern repressive governments."

If that doesn't get under someone's skin...I don't what what will. Weaver brings it on.

save you from looking it up. https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Orwellian

• sebberry, DavidSchell, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#785 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:07 AM

play a couple sets of ping pong on it first, that'll loosen that sh*t up.

You got a paddle?

#786 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:28 PM

Guano Point.  

They should affix rolls of disposable plastic sheeting like the kind painters use to the end of the tables.  Just pull some fresh poly sheet from the roll, set your picnic up and enjoy.  Toss away the plastic when you're done.  

• Mike K., Nparker and rjag like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#787 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:35 PM

I thought plastic is our enemy?

I was going to suggest a brown paper roll but that would mean chopping down a tree.
  • rjag likes this

#788 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:45 PM

But it’s still under. and can’t just bring some wipes to clean that it’s a full pressure washing. I’m guessing gas pressure washing

#789 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:50 PM

I thought plastic is our enemy?

I was going to suggest a brown paper roll but that would mean chopping down a tree.

The paper wouldn't stand up to the rain.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#790 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:54 PM

I was thinking about rolling it out like a table cloth when you sit down to eat.

#791 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:55 PM

Aluminum foil?

Edited by todd, 05 August 2021 - 05:56 PM.

#792 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:02 PM

I was thinking about rolling it out like a table cloth when you sit down to eat.

Still going to be raining half the year :D

#793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:17 PM

The smell will be lovely, though.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#794 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:39 PM

i know it's not directly clover point but adds to the whole remodel along dallas road... i do have a bit of an annoyance with the newish angled parking they have down by ogden point.. why didn't they make it angled in both directions.. they angle one direction then have a area for chairs but nothing angled from the other direction it makes it very tricky to park if your coming from the opposite parking of the angle.. they could have easily have done half and half and still ended up with the same amount of parking spaces

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#795 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

i know it's not directly clover point but adds to the whole remodel along dallas road... i do have a bit of an annoyance with the newish angled parking they have down by ogden point.. why didn't they make it angled in both directions.. they angle one direction then have a area for chairs but nothing angled from the other direction it makes it very tricky to park if your coming from the opposite parking of the angle.. they could have easily have done half and half and still ended up with the same amount of parking spaces

If it was set up as you described, those drivers would have to back out across one lane of traffic into the other.

#796 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:46 PM

^
^You think they want it to be easy to park your car?

Edited by todd, 05 August 2021 - 07:46 PM.

#797 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

I really liked Andrew Weaver's op-ed in the Times Colonist.  I know that his essay was limited by space constraints, but the broader point he is trying to make is that the move to limit parking at Clover Point really won't reduce CO2 emissions.  People can still drive to the general area and park (along Dallas Road or on nearby residential streets like Bushby) but, beyond that, removing parking simply doesn't reduce emissions (it could,  potentially, increase emissions if it results in people driving further afield for easily-accessed waterfront- like to the lagoon in Colwood).  Also, many vehicles now are EVs- Weaver's personal vehicle is a Kona EV (and by next decade all new vehicles sold will be zero-emission), so it adds additional nuance around the issue; in fact, the city's 2018 Climate Action Plan calls for the city to invest more in EV infrastructure, but does not call on the city to reduce parking in any way.

In full disclosure, I'm a Fairfield resident myself, and I know that transit access to Clover Point is limited; the closest stop (most times) is the #3 stop at Moss/May (the walk to Clover Point is 8-10 minutes from there), though this bus' weekday frequency is generally every 20-30 minutes.  The #3 does have limited stops at Dallas/Linden once per hour during midday on weekdays.  

Phasing out home heating oil use in Victoria will have a much greater impact on emissions (in fact, this is called for in the climate plan) but it's a 'hidden', mostly behind-the-scenes effort, whereas the reduction in parking at Clover Point may have tempted some politicians to 'greenwash' owing to the visibility of the effort...

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#798 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:33 PM

Very fun facts - for a short period of time Weaver was my boss. And he also was a very drunk Santa at the SEOS Xmas party. Which caused the "rules" to change about the party.

• Mike K., Greg and todd like this

#799 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:48 PM

If it was set up as you described, those drivers would have to back out across one lane of traffic into the other.

That is happening anyways. Some cars seem to sprawl across both lanes to back out. Had to jam on the brakes a couple of times when we were driving on the house side of the road. 

• Midnightly likes this

#800 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:55 PM

So this is really going off on a tangent, nothing to do with clover point, since I made that snarky comment about the drunk Andrew Weaver. I owe my whole life in Victoria to him, he hired me. The skills I learned there at UVic set me on the path to the life I have today. 

• Mike K. and Love the rock like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users