Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#861 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:58 PM

Saw the new picnic tables today.  They've been moved to the inside of the road loop now but still not on the grass.

Here's what I've observed during my many visits to Clover Point:  Lots of kite people/hang-gliders/windsurfers still there.  No change from before.  A few people using picnic tables, rarely for eating, mostly for sitting for a short time to watch the hang-gliders or kites.  Cyclists bike around the loop as they did before.  

Based on how I've seen it used, here's how to fix it:  

• Restore the parking around the full loop but space out the spots 30-50%.  People need room to get kids/tricycles/coolers/dogs/windsurfing equipment and kites in and out of their cars. 
  • Make 1 out of every 10 spots around the entire loop reserved for accessible pass holders (can't say handicap anymore).  This would allow them to enjoy the view regardless of the direction, and end the use of the handicap as pawns in this silly anti-car game.
  • Keep the picnic tables now that we've bought them but put them on the grass.  Kids are more likely to play this way.
  • Back the parking spaces in from the water about 8' and pave a pathway around the loop for walking.  This lets people walk the loop safely and frankly more comfortably than they can now, and allows people to sit in their cars and read or whatever on a windy/rainy day and take in the views.  
What we have now is nothing about balance.  We can do so much better.

No photo? It should be built into your phone.

#862 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:03 PM

No photo? It should be built into your phone.

Fine.  

Two groups of three sitting at two different benches.  One group with person with a walker.  No food in sight.

1.jpg

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#863 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:12 PM

This feels so [insert random European large city name here]-like.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#864 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:20 PM

Agreed. Right after that random European city was bombed during WWII.

• max.bravo likes this

#865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:25 PM

So what exactly did the removal of cars accomplish? It seems like zoomer heads down there even less now.
  • Nparker and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#866 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:32 PM

I don't like that angle they're at. I'm a person who doesn't like things on angles, lol. I could never sit at those, it would drive me crazy. Wouldn't matter if they were in a place I actually wanted to picnic, they're set all wrong. 

Good suggestions for fixing Clover Pt, but we know The Bully will never go for it. It makes too much sense. 

#867 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:39 PM

So what exactly did the removal of cars accomplish? It seems like zoomer heads down there even less now.

Well clearly the air is so much cleaner now without all those cars driving down there.  And of course the heat island effect is no longer.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#868 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:55 PM

I’ve been going down there more often to inspect the tables. I tied it in with other errands additional emissions minimal

#869 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:38 PM

https://en.m.wikiped.../Poo_(Cabrales)

Edited by todd, 01 September 2021 - 08:42 PM.

#870 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

Been there.  Good for dog races and spitting tobacco but I don't know I would go back.

• todd likes this

#871 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:14 PM

So, full disclosure - I did see someone walking up to the benches just as I was taking the photo.  They stopped their car at the bollards to unload all the picnic supplies and an elderly lady who had to walk to the picnic tables with her wheeled walker thing.  Not overly convenient really.  There was one parking space left that someone moved the vehicle to shortly after.

New benches.jpg

• Nparker, todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#872 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:36 PM

Hope nobody decides to plop down with a bag of bird seed.

#873 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:25 AM

It seems like nearly every time I visit Picnic Point, the parking spots are taken up and there's someone parking illegally outside of a space.  And the picnic tables are largely unused.  

These chairs will certainly get lots of use by sweaty joggers and cyclists.  

Attached Images

• 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

• todd likes this

#874 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

Anybody using those expensive picnic tables?

#875 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:53 AM

The amount of money being spent here based on ideology and not on common sense is insane.  :blink:

• Redd42, grantpalin, DavidSchell and 5 others like this

#876 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2021 - 11:22 AM

Anybody using those expensive picnic tables?

I saw a few people sitting at one.  They each had the sort of plastic water bottle you get from the fridge at 7-11.

#877 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

Those are nice. I think the etiquette is to bring a towel

#878 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:04 PM

I was there one evening this week. The parking lot was full, and all the picnic tables were being used. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. I think the animosity to this project is overblown.
  • m3m likes this

#879 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:09 PM

It seems like nearly every time I visit Picnic Point, the parking spots are taken up and there's someone parking illegally outside of a space. And the picnic tables are largely unused.

Once again, another of the mayor's brilliant ideas has been proven right!

#880 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:32 PM

I was there one evening this week. The parking lot was full, and all the picnic tables were being used. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. I think the animosity to this project is overblown.

Just giving you my experiences based on what I see walking past it every other day, if not every day.  

This spot will have a lot less usefulness over the next 6 months than it did in its previous configuration.  

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users