Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:38 PM

Any negatives though?

might scare away the flies

#942 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:03 AM

There was a fire on a cargo ship. it is likely from that.

Yeah!

Does anyone know if it’s still burning?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#943 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:08 AM

From a posting on FB:

Update on the Zim freighter fire. As of this morning there is no visible smoke or flames coming off the ship. Last night there were two other freighters anchored at Constance Bank nearby, they have left overnight. Not sure if by schedule or for safety reasons. The two Maersk ships that were involved in the plastic garbage pickup are nearby, as is a Seaspan tugboat. Photos via iPhone / telescope, so not great. Hopefully they have it under control.

• Mike K., todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#944 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:36 AM

Looking at the live feed other vessels might be tossing some water on it(earlier on they were told not to put water on it because of the volatile cargo), hard to say: https://namroc.com/live/

Hopefully the windstorm later today won’t start it up again with moving cargo

Edited by todd, 24 October 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#945 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:38 AM

Someone else just posted a photo on FB that shows flames still on the ship. So guess first person was wrong. 

Todd , don't you have a clear view of the ship?

#946 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

Someone else just posted a photo on FB that shows flames still on the ship. So guess first person was wrong. 

Todd , don't you have a clear view of the ship?

We’re over in the other room: https://vibrantvicto...issues/page-141

#947 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:49 PM

fyi, traffic is backed up and hardly moving on Dallas from Mile 0 all the way to the new stop sign at Cook.

Gotta love urban planners

• Nparker likes this

#948 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:21 PM

A few shots from my phone...

Attached Images

• IMG_20211023_155648v5.jpg
  • IMG_20211024_121039v2.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and todd like this

#949 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:23 PM

fyi, traffic is backed up and hardly moving on Dallas from Mile 0 all the way to the new stop sign at Cook.

Gotta love urban planners

That stop sign was definitely needed. And I know a few planners - they have nothing to do with stop signs.

I imagine all the traffic today was people wanting to get a look at the burning ship. Wasn't that why you were there? 

Gee - an unusual event that brings heavy traffic. And that is some how some city staff persons fault?

• zoomer and freedom_2008 like this

#950 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:42 PM

Better urban planning would be putting a six lane freeway all along Dallas Road (who cares that it’s one of the busiest pedestrian areas in Victoria) right to the Clover Point parking lot - and heck go all in the PPPDev’s concept of a multi-storey Clover Point parkade. Hmm, if we levelled all those houses that face Dallas Road, and widened the highway that would allow for more vehicles, plus eliminate the risk of those houses falling into the ocean from natural erosion in the next century or two.

I’m just kidding people!! The VV handbook permits one extreme over reaction for every ten over reactions on the other side. :)

I think this thread needs “wrong answers only” but I can already hear NParker saying ‘that is exactly what Lisa Helps has been doing for years!’ At this point I don’t even need to check VV anymore, I hear all the forum members voices in my head already.
  • Matt R. likes this

#951 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

That stop sign was definitely needed. And I know a few planners - they have nothing to do with stop signs.

I imagine all the traffic today was people wanting to get a look at the burning ship. Wasn't that why you were there?

Gee - an unusual event that brings heavy traffic. And that is some how some city staff persons fault?

Actually no that’s not why I was there. I had driven to the M-I-L’s who lives near the Beacon Drive In. It’s now a 20 min drive each way from UVIC. With so many roads closed the unintended consequence of a single stop sign can have an impact as noted today. So yes it is a traffic planning concern.

#952 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

...I can already hear NParker saying ‘that is exactly what Lisa Helps has been doing for years!’ At this point I don’t even need to check VV anymore, I hear all the forum members voices in my head already.

If you're hearing voices in your head, you might have bigger things to worry about than what VV members are saying.

#953 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

Oh for sure - and I only have 2,000 posts, not 30,000 and I was a Day One member! Clearly I need to learn from others how they effectively interact with VV.
  • todd likes this

#954 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:36 PM

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. What do you think Tony?

Edited by todd, 24 October 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• zoomer likes this

#955 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

Damn, I just answered my own question - dramatically increase my posting rate to get rid of the voices! Just share every thought that comes into my head on VV. Although no one wants to read that all day long.. so back to square one, ugh.

Anyways back on topic, did anyone see PPPDev's proposal for a multi-storey motel for Clover Point?

https://twitter.com/..._oSzSCZYLw&s=19

#956 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:08 PM

Mrs. Torrance, I think we’re probably just coming off the effects of the toxic smoke gas.

Edited by todd, 24 October 2021 - 06:12 PM.

#957 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:21 PM

Damn, I just answered my own question - dramatically increase my posting rate to get rid of the voices! Just share every thought that comes into my head on VV. Although no one wants to read that all day long.. so back to square one, ugh.

Anyways back on topic, did anyone see PPPDev's proposal for a multi-storey motel for Clover Point?

https://twitter.com/..._oSzSCZYLw&s=19

Could have taken the opportunity to present something genuine and instead decides to embellish and ridicule.

https://twitter.com/...779369325449223

#958 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

The crazy thing is that last reply is from a Twitter account called Clover Point! You know social media influencing has gone too far when pieces of unceded land start tweeting.

Clover Point's Twitter bio reads "Iconic park in the heart of Fairfield - home to the #kitefestival and beloved by residents and visitors alike."

Strange how he/she didn't mention the biggest attraction and the most voraciously defended - the parking lot. That parking lot gets used 365 days per year, can't even remember the last kite festival, lol. Must be a bot Twitter account.

#959 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

The crazy thing is that last reply is from a Twitter account called Clover Point! You know social media influencing has gone too far when pieces of unceded land start tweeting.

Clover Point's Twitter bio reads "Iconic park in the heart of Fairfield - home to the #kitefestival and beloved by residents and visitors alike."

Strange how he/she didn't mention the biggest attraction and the most voraciously defended - the parking lot. That parking lot gets used 365 days per year, can't even remember the last kite festival, lol. Must be a bot Twitter account.

We attended an event to highlight mental health at Clover Point, which was a kite festival.  The centre section around the parking area was full of kites, but I hear you re polarization.  

Balance is what we need.  I love most of the bike lanes, most of the improvements along Dallas Road, blocking off a portion of Broad street, taking over sections of road for outdoor patios.  With that said, it should till be OK to voice concerns that go too far, or have unintended consequences. 

No-one is asking for a 6 lane highway down Dallas yet we see other "bold" extremes like trying to block off Clover Point.  That wasn't helpful in promoting a less car eccentric city. 

• zoomer likes this

#960 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

The last Kite festival was when John Vickers ran the Victoria Festival Society along with Chalk Art, Pumpkins and of course Buskers. All destroyed because CoV and Tourism Vic didn't like how a volunteer run organization could be so successful so they put a whack of roadblocks in his way and he flipped them all the bird and moved to NB 3 years ago. 

• zoomer, sebberry and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users