• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

& it looks to be going global too

Researchers behind a new interactive online map that tracks cycling crash hotspots and near-misses are anticipating the project will soon spread to cities across the world.

Bike Maps (bikemaps.org) has already drawn 9,500 online visitors and reports of 466 cycling incidents in its first month of operation, said University of Victoria associate professor Trisalyn Nelson, who created the project with a small team in the Spatial Pattern Analysis and Research geography lab.

“We already have people entering data from nine different countries without any promotion,” Nelson said. “This is the launch site.”

The idea started with Nelson, who commutes by bike to UVic. Her kids, three and six years old, are following suit as little commuters of their own, which inspired Nelson to take cycling safety analysis to the next level.

“I originally thought about a site where you could rant about a near-miss and community cycling hazards, but that wasn’t enough. The planning community wants to increase ridership and safety is a number one concern,” she said.

Bike Map’s main feature is collecting reports of cycling-involved crashes fusing data from ICBC, the Victoria Police Department and the public, who are invited to submit their own experiences. Researchers are keeping the emphasis on Greater Victoria for now.

http://www.bclocalne.../282361041.html

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Interesting, but in the absence of other data (number of cyclists, number of other vehicles, number and types of bike routes, etc....) I don't think there's much that can be gained from this.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

There is already infrastructure information on it (from the CRD) and they are looking at adding bicyclist volume information (some of which can come from the CRD Bike Count data). [Disclosure: I work for CRD Regional Planning]

#4 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

Interesting, but in the absence of other data (number of cyclists, number of other vehicles, number and types of bike routes, etc....) I don't think there's much that can be gained from this.

Yeah, I suppose, but think about the implications on larger cities. For instance, when the local government has to choose between a handful of bike paths to connect, they could connect the one first that has the most casualties. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users