Grey Cup

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

The US has 58 college stadiums that have more seating capacity than BC Place.  Many (most?) of them hosting a game will be full this Saturday.

In 2002 because I was working for a large Omaha-based technology firm I got the opportunity to watch a Nebraska Cornhuskers game, home stadium in Lincoln NB, seating ~ 90,000. The game was against Texas which was the # 7 ranked team in the US coming into that game. All I can say is attend any large US college game at a program where BCS football is king and I promise you won't forget the experience any time soon. There were probably 10,000+ people at the tailgate party alone, and happening at the same time. It was in a nutshell a complete and utter gong show. I am a proud Canadian and love this country as much as the next person but football here isn't even in the same galactic dimension as south of the 49th. The "cradle" of the CFL by common consent is the Prairie region, Saskatchewan specifically. Their stadium seats less than 30,000.

The Cornhuskers are virtually a religion in the entire state of Nebraska pure and simple. On the four corners of the Memorial Stadium are inspirational messages which any kid under 16 in the state probably knows by heart, one of the most repeated being "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." Can the Canadian game claim to have anything remotely similar? And remember - this happens in over a 100 other US college campuses each Sunday. And then there is the mega-hype over Super Bowl which everyone knows all too well....

On game day in Nebraska - not just Lincoln but in virtually the entire state - everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE regardless of gender or age, wears Husker t-shirts, shorts, track pants, shoes, underwear and sports bras. You stick out like a bruised thumb if you don't. The closest thing we have in this country in terms of sporting passion, participation and media coverage is, not surprisingly, hockey. The CFL, venerable as it is, doesn't even begin to come close IMO and I've been to three Grey Cups.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

^ So true. I've been to a few big NCAA Div 1 games and it is insane. Everybody in town wears the home colors on game day. The tailgating alone is unbelievable.

A couple weeks back I attended a game at Death Valley at Louisiana State University as the LSU football team took on 'Bama.

Nothing in Canadian sports comes anywhere near that level of fanaticism. That stadium now holds over 102,000, and was freaking packed.

20141108_170218.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

In 2002 because I was working for a large Omaha-based technology firm I got the opportunity to watch a Nebraska Cornhuskers game, home stadium in Lincoln NB, seating ~ 90,000. The game was against Texas which was the # 7 ranked team in the US coming into that game. All I can say is attend any large US college game at a program where BCS football is king and I promise you won't forget the experience any time soon. There were probably 10,000+ people at the tailgate party alone, and happening at the same time. It was in a nutshell a complete and utter gong show. I am a proud Canadian and love this country as much as the next person but football here isn't even in the same galactic dimension as south of the 49th. The "cradle" of the CFL by common consent is the Prairie region, Saskatchewan specifically. Their stadium seats less than 30,000.

...snip

I thank the gods every single day I don't live in Nebraska. Largely because of stuff like that.

Good grief...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

Don't forget, the highest-paid civil servant in most every state - that's right, government employee - is usually a football coach.  Sometimes a basketball coach.  And occasionally some lowly lame employee, like Med School Dean, if you don't have a good football or basketball team.

http://deadspin.com/...-a-co-489635228

ykdkqhstdm1ptubyuct2.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

I thank the gods every single day I don't live in Nebraska. Largely because of stuff like that.

Good grief...

Really? It's so much fun.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

Don't forget, the highest-paid civil servant in most every state - that's right, government employee - is usually a football coach.  Sometimes a basketball coach.  And occasionally some lowly lame employee, like Med School Dean, if you don't have a good football or basketball team.

http://deadspin.com/...-a-co-489635228

ykdkqhstdm1ptubyuct2.jpg

Oh yeah. Nick Saban, HC at Alabama, gets paid over $7M/year. It's silly, but the football programs bring in so much money to the school.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Really? It's so much fun.

Yeah, maybe once or twice, but to live in a culture that takes a game to such unbelievable extremes just creeps the hell out of me. I can talk football for about four minutes then I start to phase out. And of course I'm also the guy who gets stuck sitting next to a football loving salesman from a fly-over state at every airport bar. Story of my life.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

ykdkqhstdm1ptubyuct2.jpg

I have new-found respect for Montana and the Dakotas.

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, maybe once or twice, but to live in a culture that takes a game to such unbelievable extremes just creeps the hell out of me. I can talk football for about four minutes then I start to phase out. And of course I'm also the guy who gets stuck sitting next to a football loving salesman from a fly-over state at every airport bar. Story of my life.

Whateves. As far as I can tell the only extreme it gets taken to is an extremely good time. It's not like people riot or behave like European football hooligans or anything.

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

Good grief...

Actually I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and the people were ridiculously friendly. One of them actually mentioned the Grey Cup by name. In general they are great folks but certainly dedicated to their Cornhuskers, no question. And - you would never guess this - but you could get almost as much NHL on the tube as here by virtual of the geography; they are so close to Dallas, Colorado, St Louis and within earshot of Chicago so there was an NHL game on almost every night which was an unexpected bonus - and way more hockey than you see on Seattle TV for example.

And of course, since it was America where you can obtain almost anything, I was...um...."intrigued" by the various flavours of ice cream at the burger joint beside our hotel. Vanilla. A-OK. Chocolate. Naturally. Strawberry. Check. Beef. Huh?! Pork.....pork? Say what? Prawn. Prawn!?! Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Dropped in at 3 different bars today, that had spent some money promoting today.  Turn out was dismal.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Dropped in at 3 different bars today, that had spent some money promoting today.  Turn out was dismal.

I'm sure local sports fans were much more interested in the Canucks-Red Wings NHL game; between that and New England-Green Bay which was the real marquee football game on either side of the border, the poor Grey Cup likely just could not compete. I am sure in Victoria there are many more Seahawks fans than even BC Lions followers; and the Lions of course were nowhere near playing in any game today. Virtually an impossible "sell" IMO.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'm sure local sports fans were much more interested in the Canucks-Red Wings NHL game; between that and New England-Green Bay which was the real marquee football game on either side of the border, the poor Grey Cup likely just could not compete. I am sure in Victoria there are many more Seahawks fans than even BC Lions followers; and the Lions of course were nowhere near playing in any game today. Virtually an impossible "sell" IMO.

One local sports bar left the sound on the Green Bay game, did not turn on the Grey Cup volume until after the NFL game was done.  The half-time show with Imagine Dragons was good.

If you are not familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRsgZuwf_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gKWVyhPZYs

#34 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

I thought it was one of the better Grey Cup games...very entertaining!

#35 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

I'm sure TSN will announce record breaking ratings before the day is out.

I thought it was a pretty good game, for the CFL. Too bad Hamilton couldn't complete the comeback.

#36 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, wow, talk about cornering a massive chunk of the country. But I would imagine everyone east of Washington and Oregon is behind the Broncos.

FB_NFL_Fandom.jpg

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

What's up with the tiny pocket of Raiders fans in northeast California? I'd love to see what the bar scene in that county looks like on Sundays.

Know it all.

#38 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

What's up with the tiny pocket of Raiders fans in northeast California? I'd love to see what the bar scene in that county looks like on Sundays.

No idea!

I also love that there are more 49ers fans in Oakland than there are Raiders fans. The only county's that actually favor the Raiders are in and around LA.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

Modoc County.  Strange.

#40 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

^ Likely only one Facebook user in Modoc county. 

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users