Grey Cup

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

Well, at least Calgary got in, that'll probably mean they will sell it out after all.  Surely at least 10,000 Calgarians will make a trip.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Vancouver is expecting over 40,000 visitors that weekend who wouldn't otherwise be in the city. Apart from the actual game there will be lots of other events taking place around town. Maybe even a riot if we can help it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

Vancouver is expecting over 40,000 visitors that weekend who wouldn't otherwise be in the city. Apart from the actual game there will be lots of other events taking place around town. Maybe even a riot if we can help it.

40,000?  Someone is fibbing the numbers to justify some government grants someone got.

At best you have 15,000-20,000 out-of-town fans, and at very best maybe 1,000-2,000 media and broadcast support, officials etc.   Ya, there are events other than the game, but everyone at those events is also going to the game, you can't count them twice.  Only 55,000 people fit into the game, and the vast majority of them will be locals. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

40k isn't all that much. There are football fans from across the country coming down for this thing.

On any given day in Victoria there are 10,000 tourists if we are to believe our annual visitor count.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

40k isn't all that much. There are football fans from across the country coming down for this thing.

On any given day in Victoria there are 10,000 tourists if we are to believe our annual visitor count.

But only 55,000 fit in the stadium.  Nobody is coming here with no ticket to the game.  And I'll suggest that at least 30,000 were bought months ago by BC Lions fans, or general Vancouver-based football fans (more than 10,000 Vancouver-based Rider fans go to games).

So there are not 40,000 tickets left for out-of-towners, never was.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

It's not just the game that attracts people, it's the party. I'm going to go on a limb and say 150,000 people with no tickets dropped in on Seattle during the Superbowl. The festivities go well beyond the stadium and sometimes you just want to be a part of the action in a city even though you don't have tickets to the game.

Know it all.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

It's not just the game that attracts people, it's the party. I'm going to go on a limb and say 150,000 people with no tickets dropped in on Seattle during the Superbowl. The festivities go well beyond the stadium and sometimes you just want to be a part of the action in a city even though you don't have tickets to the game.

Seattle won the Superbowl that was played in New Jersey.  You do know that the Superbowl venue is set years ahead, right?  Nobody can count on it being in their city when their team plays in it.  In fact no team has even played in it in front of their home crowd, ever.  And sometimes it's played in a city that has no NFL team (like the Rose Bowl).  No way 150,000 went to Seattle last February.  That's just silly.  100,000 probably go to Vegas for the Superbowl weekend.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I'm going to go with the numbers as announced. They may not be 100% accurate but they're also not 50% inflated.

Know it all.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

Superbowl 2012 in Indianapolis estimates 116,000 people came to the city for at least 4 days including the 68,500 that went to the game.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Superbowl 2012 in Indianapolis estimates 116,000 people came to the city for at least 4 days including the 68,500 that went to the game.

Grey Cup is no Superbowl.  The only people travelling to Vancouver specifically for Grey Cup weekend are those going to the game, working on it, or in maybe some very rare instances, families of people attending.  Ya, people love to go to the Superbowl city, and not go to the game, that's a big deal, the whole city is one massive party.  Not true of Grey Cup.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

Have you ever seen what a Grey Cup party looks like?

And Vancouver is probably one of the best cities to travel to in the fall, in Canada, to be a part of a big football event. I can also see a lot of football fans from Seattle making the trip up. Football is football and if there's a party up the street how could you resist not checking it out?

Know it all.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

Have you ever seen what a Grey Cup party looks like?

And Vancouver is probably one of the best cities to travel to in the fall, in Canada, to be a part of a big football event. I can also see a lot of football fans from Seattle making the trip up. Football is football and if there's a party up the street how could you resist not checking it out?

I've been to a few GC parties when it's been in Vancouver.  And I hope you are joking about Seattle fans.  Grey Cup will get a 30-second video-clip re-cap on the US football wrap-up programs on Sunday, just as a novelty act.  98% of US fans will not be able to tell you where or what Grey Cup is.  Vancouver ought to be thankful that the Seahawks play tomorrow, instead of this Sunday in Seattle.  As 5,000 or more fans would choose going down there rather than staying in Vancouver for GC.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

Serious football fans love the Canadian game. It's not just a one way flow to the US by Canucks. And Seattle being so close to Vancouver gives the organizers an advantage.

40k coming into town for the event is not that big a deal.

Know it all.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

In the 2011 season, twice as many Canadians watched Superbowl than watched Grey Cup.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Ticketmaster still has seats available, albeit they appear to only have single seats available in most sections with more available in the corners.

I was thinking of going, but at  least $200.00 a pop to watch a CFL game (in the top corner of BC Place, no less)? Meh.

We used to get tickets for $5.00 at Sobey's in Edmonton and then go sit pretty much wherever we wanted (lots of empty seats).

Edited by jonny, 26 November 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Ticketmaster still has seats available, albeit they appear to only have single seats available in most sections with more available in the corners.

I was thinking of going, but at  least $200.00 a pop to watch a CFL game? Meh.

We used to get tickets for $5.00 at Sobey's in Edmonton and then go sit pretty much wherever we wanted (lots of empty seats).

Lots of ~ $120 and up tickets now at reputable places like StubHub.  And for Mike K. - - next Seahawks game the best you can get seats for is $249 US.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

The Seahawks are fortunate that they're the only NFL team in the northwest corner of the US. What's the next closest, San Francisco?

It's funny, per-capita Canada has more top tier teams than the US, granted they have college football which is pretty big.

Know it all.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

It's funny, per-capita Canada has more top tier teams than the US, granted they have college football which is pretty big.

The US has 58 college stadiums that have more seating capacity than BC Place.  Many (most?) of them hosting a game will be full this Saturday.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

The Seahawks are fortunate that they're the only NFL team in the northwest corner of the US. What's the next closest, San Francisco?

Oakland, San Fran, Denver, San Diego, Arizona.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, wow, talk about cornering a massive chunk of the country. But I would imagine everyone east of Washington and Oregon is behind the Broncos.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users