Photo

Forum decorum...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Seeing as how things went a bit sideways on a certain thread recently, I think it would be a good idea to talk openly about the forum, its moderation and perhaps even have some positive suggestions on how we can better interact when talking about divisive topics.

I'm wondering:

Where does one draw the line between fair comment and "flaming", trolling etc? To what extent is it O.K to be sarcastic or use irony or satire to make one's point?

How do moderators decide when to close a discussion?

How do we determine what constitutes a topic relevant to Vibrant Victoria?

Cheers,
Sasha

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

I'm going by the rules as stickied... but I have some recollection of someone posting something along the lines of "if you wouldn't say it in front of your grandmother don't say it here" (can't find that now) I liked that thought because this forum isn't just for people to come and shoot the breeze but also serves as a nexus for an emergent political lobby with potential to be as strong as any neighbourhood association imo. It would be a shame to see that sidetracked.

That said, I belong to (and mod) several forums that allow very strong language where moderation is kept low to nill. In those forums the successful balance between freedom of speech and keeping it a welcoming environment for new users was struck by designating a certain section "the flame forum" where people can go at each other like retarded chimpanzees on any topic, with no fear of moderation.

If we were to do something like that here, I'd like to see it viewable to people with x number of post counts only, so as to ensure that it is the old guard who are essentially already committed to the forum that uses it as a place to squabble, rather than the first impression a newcomber endures or a place where people are draw to in order to argue about off topic things.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:47 AM

Where does one draw the line between fair comment and "flaming", trolling etc? To what extent is it O.K to be sarcastic or use irony or satire to make one's point?

As long as you stick to the topic and the facts at hand and not make personal attacks you should be OK.

How do moderators decide when to close a discussion?

When the thread is not relevant to the forum or is going off topic. When the discussion turns from discussing fact to personal attacks. Locking of a topic is discussed between all of the moderators first.

How do we determine what constitutes a topic relevant to Vibrant Victoria?

Each forum section has a header explaining what topics are permitted in that section.

"if you wouldn't say it in front of your grandmother don't say it here"

Most of us on this forum have a passion for this city in which we live and would like to see positive change. We have that in common so we should try and remember that and what Caramia stated when posting on a topic.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#4 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'm going by the rules as stickied... but I have some recollection of someone posting something along the lines of "if you wouldn't say it in front of your grandmother don't say it here" (can't find that now) I liked that thought because this forum isn't just for people to come and shoot the breeze but also serves as a nexus for an emergent political lobby with potential to be as strong as any neighbourhood association imo. It would be a shame to see that sidetracked.

That said, I belong to (and mod) several forums that allow very strong language where moderation is kept low to nill. In those forums the successful balance between freedom of speech and keeping it a welcoming environment for new users was struck by designating a certain section "the flame forum" where people can go at each other like retarded chimpanzees on any topic, with no fear of moderation.

If we were to do something like that here, I'd like to see it viewable to people with x number of post counts only, so as to ensure that it is the old guard who are essentially already committed to the forum that uses it as a place to squabble, rather than the first impression a newcomber endures or a place where people are draw to in order to argue about off topic things.

I like the idea of a flame forum, although i think having it open to everyone would even be better. The internet was like that at one time, but don't expect to see such a thing at this site anytime soon, since many people at this site are extremely concerned with the way they are viewed by the public. Appearance is everything here. I'm a big fan of the old school approach to websites where freedom rules and people can say whatever the **** they want. It seems that the prudes, the goody-two shoes and the politically correct control the internet these days. This constant obsession with sanitizing everything you read actually really pisses me off. The passion and the honesty from people back then made it so much better
In chains by Keynes

#5 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

^The wonderful thing about the internet is there is thousands of other sites you can do that, see ya later.

Btw, nothing is sanitized here, this site is about Victoria's development and we'd like people to respect each other regardless of opinion, nothing more.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

Phil the internet did used to be like that, but those were the good old pioneer days, when only the "outcasts" used it, just like when B.C. was first colonised, and the west was rough and crazy and yeah... not sanitary. To be fair, if you look about you can still find those places on the internet without too much trouble, my regular "home" on the net is one of them. But that doesn't mean that every place has to be that.

If you have been around since those days, then think about how many forums you have seen grow and then die as they wandered off topic, and descended into the generic back and forth between old school forum participants who keep coming there out of habit. It isn't the public that I want to see enthusiastically use this forum, it is the "Ents" ... the best brains and best knowledge about the topic of urban vibrancy in Victoria that I want to see find their way here and make themselves at home. I'd love to see some of the authors of the books we talk about speaking here for themselves. I would love to see some of the developers of the buildings we admire making themselves at home.

The mods put a lot of work into the content of the site. They've defined what tone they want to set here. IMO they pitched it right for the topic at hand. Phil I skimmed through your posting history. There are quite a few thoughtful contributions posted there, valuable additions to the discussion. Why not continue to participate with us prudes on topics that interest you, and then go relax in a less moderated environment? Just as you might go to UDI meeting and behave one way, then go relax at BBJs after and behave an entirely different way.

BTW, shameless plug... for Victoria people who were part of or admirers of a very "unsantized" part of our culture... http://www.punkhistorycanada.ca lots of good victoria nostalgia here, familiar faces and you can use whatever language you like!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Amazing how many of us are both old school internet folk and aging punks. ;)

#8 Ada

Ada
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Appearance is everything here. I'm a big fan of the old school approach to websites where freedom rules and people can say whatever the **** they want. It seems that the prudes, the goody-two shoes and the politically correct control the internet these days. This constant obsession with sanitizing everything you read actually really pisses me off. The passion and the honesty from people back then made it so much better

I agree with the premise that sometimes people just have to recognize that forums like this can get a little more heated than regular, face-to-face discussions but I've come to see that although I can usually put on my "big girl panties" and take what's said with a grain of salt and a health dose of debate, not everyone can see things this way.

I enjoy heated debate - more face to face than on a forum but whatever – however, too much will put too many people off and they won't come back. Many of you know a hell of a lot about the city, development issues and planning. It can be intimidating to voice your opinion in a forum with such knowledge. To see people baring their teeth is an even bigger deterrent to join in the discussion.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,686 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:10 AM

Excellent point Ada. And our main wish is to encourage as many people as possible to join the discussion. Also from what I know of members there are not to many big time posters that are professionals. We are people that love our city that is it. If you love the city you are qualified to speak about it.

I hope we as mods are showing people that they can speak up without fear of being shot down.

If anyone has any concerns about how new posters are being treated please do not hesitate to send me a private message.

We want more voices and more opinions! Hearing the same point of view from 10 different people defeats the point.

Anyways that is my piece for the day. :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 VIResident

VIResident
  • 211 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

Was not sure where this best be placed, this was as close as I figured was best.  

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differencesa study was published that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people. 

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response. 

What kind of person would do this? Some Canadian researchers decided to find out.

https://www.psycholo...ths-and-sadists

Edited by VIResident, 15 November 2018 - 12:05 PM.

• nerka likes this

#11 todd

todd
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

^Boring. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#12 VIResident

VIResident
  • 211 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

aaaaand here we are.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Todd is a narcissistic sadist with psychopathic tendencies, so don’t sweat it too much.
  • aastra, sebberry and VIResident like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

...it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.  What kind of person would do this?

Who are: politicians?

• rjag and sebberry like this

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Todd is a narcissistic sadist with psychopathic tendencies....

Really? That totally overturns my impression of him. He always struck me as more of a sadistic psychopath with narcissistic tendencies.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

His split personality can send people astray, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 todd

todd
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

No I just have ADD you people are bullies.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

Trolls, todd.

Know it all.

#19 todd

todd
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

And for the record my psychiatrist and I decided I do not have psychopathic tendencies and the first couple opinions must’ve been sadists.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:18 PM

Sure that's not sadistic tentacles?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users