Internet advertising discussion

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

What I don't care for is the 15 second commercial at the start of a UTube video. I also don't care for the 2-5 second ads that have been popping up in the corner of the television screen while viewing programs like Gracepoint.

Those are not going to go away any time soon.  That's their answer to PVRs and downloading.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

Rare for me to agree with Mike K on anything, but in this case I do.   Ad blockers are convenient, but by running them you are essentially screwing over the websites that you want to visit.   No wonder the news media has gone downhill so badly if everyone wants free high quality news but no one wants to pay and no one wants to see ads.  

I stopped using ad blockers a few years ago for that reason.  If I encounter a site with very obnoxious ads I just leave and never come back.  

How about this for an approach to ad blockers?  Detect them, and if it is a logged in user who has been using the site for a while, display a small message something like "Looks like you're using an adblocker.  VV depends on advertising revenue to maintain this forum and we'd really appreciate if you whitelisted us. We hate obnoxious ads as much as you do, and we are careful not to run them on our site."    

Edited by pherthyl, 28 November 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

Ad blockers are getting quite sophisticated. Harder and harder to detect.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

Rare for me to agree with Mike K on anything, but in this case I do.   Ad blockers are convenient, but by running them you are essentially screwing over the websites that you want to visit.   No wonder the news media has gone downhill so badly if everyone wants free high quality news but no one wants to pay and no one wants to see ads.  

I stopped using ad blockers a few years ago for that reason.  If I encounter a site with very obnoxious ads I just leave and never come back.  

How about this for an approach to ad blockers?  Detect them, and if it is a logged in user who has been using the site for a while, display a small message something like "Looks like you're using an adblocker.  VV depends on advertising revenue to maintain this forum and we'd really appreciate if you whitelisted us. We hate obnoxious ads as much as you do, and we are careful not to run them on our site."    

Yeah, you know that may be a good idea. Something simple and unobtrusive. That's interesting that you decided to remove an ad blocker. Not many would consider that or ponder over the effects of destroying a business model that created the very Internet we all take for granted. If that business model collapses and websites are forced to seek payment from visitors in order to keep the lights on we'll look back on today and wonder why the good stuff disappeared and why the Internet became what cable television is.

VV is a relatively small site, all things considered, and the motivator behind this resource is not profit, but our other projects are and that's where we really feel the effects of ad blockers.

@Lanforod, and therein is another issue. Ad blockers also have an anti-corporate, anti-$$$ component to them. It's not just a means of removing annoying pop-ups and pop-unders, it's also a political/social statement that is often brought up when people talk about the Internet being "free" and "unregulated." Of course neither of those things are reality as the Internet is most certainly not free and is regulated (we just don't notice or care for the regulation that is already in place).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

I never thought it as an anti-corporate issue. 

Mike, do website owners typically make money on ad click or impression?  Because with an adblocker or not, the only time I've clicked ads is when they've expanded unexpectedly when I've gone to click something near them.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Here you go: just add this to your sites and folks w/ ad blockers won't see your content...

stackoverflow

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

I never thought it as an anti-corporate issue. 

Mike, do website owners typically make money on ad click or impression?  Because with an adblocker or not, the only time I've clicked ads is when they've expanded unexpectedly when I've gone to click something near them.

The common misconception is that only click-throughs generate revenue. That is not the case at all. More is made via impressions than click throughs and that's been the case for many, many years.

@jklymak, thanks for the link. It would be nice to not have to go down that route, but eventually this may be what happens. Of course the ad-blocking community is now creating depositories of sites that block ad-blockers and are finding ways to circumvent most content blocking attempts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

There's a car forum I visit, it's never had ads for the 10 years I've been visiting it.  They are however set up to take donations from members and many members do toss the site's owner $20 once in a while. 

Might be something to think about.  Strangely there's also a lot of forums where the operator will remove the ads if you sign up.  I guess as some sort of encouragement to join and participate. 

The other thing you could do is have a vendor section where vendors pay to advertise their business and engage in discussions with members.  Another way to circumvent ad blockers is to take payment directly from advertisers and embed the ad images on the site.  They'd display like any other JPG on the page and since they're not being served up by ad servers, they won't be blocked.  Added benefit of not tracking users too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

I think that ads are going to bring in more than donations any day. People are cheap.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Andrew Sullivan seems to do OK with a quasi paywall: you can see part of all the articles but to see the whole thing you need to subscribe.  Of course his content is not a forum.  

You could not let people who are not subscribers post, but for a small forum like this that might be a problem where you don't have a lot of posters already.  I appreciate what is done here and would pay on the order of $20/y, but I'm not sure how many would.  No idea how that would translate to the Skyscraper page.   

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

LJ, I think you've got a chronic virus or malware issue. Your browser has been hijacked by something and its overlaying ads. I think we've tried to help you with these issues on a few occasions. Oftentimes the malware will target the website or websites you visit the most in order to mask its presence. That being said, if you ever notice an obtrusive ad please let us know and we'll get on it.

Sebberry, and that's fine, but a few sites with an overabundance of ads or disruptive ads shouldn't force all other publishers who take great efforts to ensure their ads and the partnerships they strike are unobtrusive to their visitors to lose out on important revenue.

Yeah I wish I knew the answer. It causes VV to stop working in IE and slows it down in Chrome. I run malaware bytes and it doesn't find anything so I don't know where to go from there.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

^And I know it is not something you are running because I just got an ad in Spanish for Cricket phones.

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I don't know where to go from there.

Future Shop.

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yeah I wish I knew the answer. It causes VV to stop working in IE and slows it down in Chrome. I run malaware bytes and it doesn't find anything so I don't know where to go from there.

If you get the ads in both Chrome and IE, it isn't a single browser plugin. More likely a full blown chuck of malware installed.

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Yeah I wish I knew the answer.

Quit watching **rn. :)

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Tony, at Mother Computers.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Quit watching **rn. :)

What would I do in my spare time?

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

If you get the ads in both Chrome and IE, it isn't a single browser plugin. More likely a full blown chuck of malware installed.

I have Malware bytes professional installed so sent them a query, haven't heard back yet.

One of the offenders is myturfads.com and the other is liverail.com, but can't find anyway to uninstall the buggers.

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Follow the steps here: 

http://malwaretips.c...cake-popup-ads/

Malwarebytes is good, but nothing will remove everything.  Often multiple applications are required for a more complete clean.  I can give you a hand if you need.

#40 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

I also don't care for the 2-5 second ads that have been popping up in the corner of the television screen while viewing programs like Gracepoint.

I have been trying to watch something called Real Humans which is a Swedish production and is subtitled. SPACE keeps putting those stupid ads right over top of the subtitles!

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users