- - - - -

"Wholesale" Car Dealerships

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

Has anyone had any experience with such dealers as "BriantheCarGuy", JD Brokers, Motorize Direct etc? Their prices seem to be reasonable but are they reputable?

Edited by Coopershawk, 30 November 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

I bought from one in Vancouver years ago and it worked well. They just get the car wholesale with a dealers license and add xx amount on top for themselves.

They save because they don't have any overhead to speak of or a dealership to run.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

Thanks LJ!

#4 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've used Michael Flynn http://michael-flynn.ca/ for a few cars some years back. Russ Noble of http://www.noblecarbuyers.com/ as well.

Also Wayne Aukland at National Car sales.....they all have access to the auctions and know whats coming and going etc.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Where do you take the car for warranty work? Is the dealer going to give you a hard time when you bring it in for service?

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

I would take it to Parkside Motors they are warranty approved for most models and taking it to a dealership is a rip off.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

Ok, how do these "warranty approved" shops work?  If someone buys a new Honda and something breaks under warranty, do independent mechanics have the ability to source parts and bill labour under the manufacturer's warranty? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

Where do you take the car for warranty work? Is the dealer going to give you a hard time when you bring it in for service?

My first dealing with Michael Flynn he helped me buy a new 2000 Maxima. I had been working the Nissan dealer and got them down from $35k to $33k but they wouldn't budge any further and they eventually told me they were done and cut me loose.

Flynn got me the same car for $31.5k and that included his $600 fee (at that time). There's always a bit more wiggle room for a broker and what amazed me was the dealer was happy as they still made trunk money (manufacturer incentive)  

I took the car to the dealer for the next 2 years and never had a problem.

I used him to buy some fleet vehicles and some personal ones and never had a problem with the dealers and it didn't matter the brand

Brokers are good to use but the caveat is you need to do your homework first....know what you want and in what colour and if used what age and mileage....narrow it down to 2-3 brands of vehicle i.e. looking for an Audi A4 or 3 series BMW in black not more than 5 years old and under 50,000km

With the internet now, we are becoming more savvy and the price gaps are narrowing but they can still help source through areas that you cant access such as the auto auctions like Mannheim etc

Edited by rjag, 03 December 2014 - 08:06 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

Ok, how do these "warranty approved" shops work?  If someone buys a new Honda and something breaks under warranty, do independent mechanics have the ability to source parts and bill labour under the manufacturer's warranty? 

yup....warranty approved basically means the mechanic has taken an advanced manufacturer sponsored program and knows how to use the diagnostic equipment

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

yup....warranty approved basically means the mechanic has taken an advanced manufacturer sponsored program and knows how to use the diagnostic equipment

Interesting.  Seems odd that manufacturers would want warranty billing taking place outside of their own dealership network.  Also, since warranty work is at no cost to the owner, it's hard to say you're getting ripped off at the dealer. 

I always thought "Warranty approved" meant that the mechanic can do the regular maintenance (oil changes for example) and their work is recognized by the manufacturer and the manufacturer can't void the warranty because oil changes weren't done.

I know I probably over pay at the dealer, but the service has generally been good and I get free loaner cars.  Some dealers can barely give out a taxi voucher.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

Interesting.  Seems odd that manufacturers would want warranty billing taking place outside of their own dealership network.  Also, since warranty work is at no cost to the owner, it's hard to say you're getting ripped off at the dealer. 

I know I probably over pay at the dealer, but the service has generally been good and I get free loaner cars.  Some dealers can barely give out a taxi voucher.

I don' think that your question was read properly. The only place that will perform free warranty work is the dealership. Once your car is out of warranty or you need non-warranty work then you can take your car anywhere.

My experience with brokers on higher end vehicles is that you are in 2nd place for warranty work at the dealership.

Edited by spanky123, 03 December 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

My experience with brokers on higher end vehicles is that you are in 2nd place for warranty work at the dealership.

That's bizzare, what brand of car?

I brokered a 18 month old Lexus GX from the BMW dealership in 2007 and have always been treated well with Lexus, loaner cars or full fare taxi rides etc and when it went out of warranty they continued to spoil my wife so much that she refused to look at any other brands when I told her it was time for a newer model...we kept the older one and I'm now driving it, its 10 years old and I still get a loaner car and full cleaning when it goes in for its annual service.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

Interesting. Seems odd that manufacturers would want warranty billing taking place outside of their own dealership network. Also, since warranty work is at no cost to the owner, it's hard to say you're getting ripped off at the dealer.

I always thought "Warranty approved" meant that the mechanic can do the regular maintenance (oil changes for example) and their work is recognized by the manufacturer and the manufacturer can't void the warranty because oil changes weren't done.

I know I probably over pay at the dealer, but the service has generally been good and I get free loaner cars. Some dealers can barely give out a taxi voucher.

Sorry that is what I meant. The regular services you have to take your car into to keep it under warranty. These are not free and are a huge ripoff. I was regularly paying about 250 at a dealer and the same work at Parkside would be 85 - 150. I also never get those irritating and expected calls half way through the day saying that the estimate was wrong because they found X and also Y is looking a little worn and should be changed.

It has a whole new look!

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

That's bizzare, what brand of car?

I brokered a 18 month old Lexus GX from the BMW dealership in 2007 and have always been treated well with Lexus, loaner cars or full fare taxi rides etc and when it went out of warranty they continued to spoil my wife so much that she refused to look at any other brands when I told her it was time for a newer model...we kept the older one and I'm now driving it, its 10 years old and I still get a loaner car and full cleaning when it goes in for its annual service.

Still have the wagon? 

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

Sorry that is what I meant. The regular services you have to take your car into to keep it under warranty. These are not free and are a huge ripoff. I was regularly paying about 250 at a dealer and the same work at Parkside would be 85 - 150. I also never get those irritating and expected calls half way through the day saying that the estimate was wrong because they found X and also Y is looking a little worn and should be changed.

Ah, yeh.  Fortunately I know a little about cars and can avoid that crap.  I dropped it off for an oil change once at the dealer and they called to tell me my brake rotors were a little too thin.  That was ~80,000km ago and they're still within spec... go figure.

But I can see how people get taken for a ride.  My engine rebuild was expensive but I did a bunch of other little things at the same time, and I figure renting a car for 3 weeks would have more than made up the extra cost of having it done at the dealership while driving around in a free loaner.

#16 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Still have the wagon? 

No, I sold it a while back as I needed a bit more room for my growing fur family...

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Damn.  I wanted a ride in that :P  Dream shattered. 

Oh well, I suppose the coffee offer still stands. 

• rjag likes this

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

The regular services you have to take your car into to keep it under warranty. .

I don't believe that is correct. As long as you have the manufacturers recommended work done by a licensed mechanic your warranty remains valid.

Dealerships always have a level 1,2,3, and usually 4 service, which of course get increasingly expensive and are a way more than what the manufacturer requires.

I get free service on my car and it goes in to the dealership to get whatever they want do to it twice a year but I only ever put about 4000k a year on the vehicle.

On my SUV it goes to the dealership every second service as I change the oil every 6000k, and the manual says to change it every 12000k. When I take there, I list the services that the manual recommends and tell them that is all I want done.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

You must have negotiated free warranty service when you bought then. I had to pay for everything with mine. The only things that were free was if anything broke when it shouldn't have.

It has a whole new look!

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Ok, so let's clear this up (with what I understand).

New cars come with warranties - if any OEM part breaks and you want the manufacturer to pay for it under the warranty, it must be returned to the dealership for warranty service.

Routine maintenance required to ensure your warranty isn't voided due to neglect (oil changes, etc...) can be done by any licenced mechanic and the owner should maintain detailed records and purchase receipts.  Heck, you can do your own oil changes providing you document it and keep receipts.

Where it gets confusing is independent shops saying "we do warranty work".  No, you don't.  You do work required to maintain the warranty, such as oil changes.  You're not able to order manufacturer parts (at no cost for the warranty) and bill the manufacturer for labour. 

Extended or 3rd party warranties may let you take the car to mechanics of your choosing for repair under their warranty.

It's becoming common these days for manufacturers and dealerships to offer free service for xx,xxx km or years. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users