BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1061 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

There certainly isn't much hype, excitement or feverish pace surrounding this development to date!   Such a "big" disappointment given this development is in the center of CSV!!!!!

I'm certain other developers would have made this their crowning development. It's COOK STREET............

Personally, it's looking like a blight,  a missed opportunity to have shown all objectors this is a needed project. 

#1062 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking for.  A big marketing blitz?  Balloons?  The thing is sold out, they will build it as they please.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 09:45 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1063 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking for.  A big marketing blitz?  Balloons?  The thing is sold out, they will build it as they please.  

Are you sure that it's sold out?  It still shows sign up for pre-sale information on their website, coming Summer 2017.

#1064 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

^ I submitted my email address a year ago for pre-sale. I never heard back.

#1065 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

There has been no public sales effort to-date. However, we don’t know if the project is sold out, if it will be built as purely rental residences, or whether marketing will begin only once the project is move in-ready.

The developers of 595 Pandora took the approach of only selling once the building was nearly completed. It’s certainly not unheard of in our region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1066 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Are you sure that it's sold out?  It still shows sign up for pre-sale information on their website, coming Summer 2017.

No, I just assumed.

Yes, the website talks about some 2017 pre-sales and the "latest news" section has the last item, from 2016.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1067 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

There has been no public sales effort to-date. However, we don’t know if the project is sold out, if it will be built as purely rental residences, or whether marketing will begin only once the project is move in-ready.

The developers of 595 Pandora took the approach of only selling once the building was nearly completed. It’s certainly not unheard of in our region.

I do hope that there is a selection of units offered for sale to the public.  I watched the webcast for the public hearing of this project and many of the proponents who spoke out in favour of the development were young (i.e. under 35) people who supported the project as it might give them a chance to buy their first property in a hot market (and in a Fairfield location; some of the proponents rented nearby).    If there is never an offering for sale then it would just give development opponents (and there are many in Fairfield, though I would like to think that- as a neighbourhood resident- I'm not in that camp) an opening to discredit the approval process by claiming that proposed strata developments may simply be a 'bait and switch' if the developer sells them off to a single operator...

#1068 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

I have it on fairly good authority that none of the units will be offered up for sale and that the developer plans to operate the building as a rental. The units are strata-titled, which allows him to sell them piecemeal at a future date, but wow on the GST hit. My contact discovered this after making some inquiries on behalf of clients of his who were interested in buying in the building.

I asked my contact to clarify the above three times, because it seems rather unbelievable. That said, if he can get $3 sq ft in rental revenue (location, location, location), maybe the numbers add up?

#1069 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Construction is really ramping up here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1070 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Anybody know what those big blocks of Styrofoam are for?

#1071 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

As I understand it, most buildings are shipped in pieces from overseas. The shipping crates are packed with styrofoam.

• Nparker likes this

#1072 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

As I understand it, most buildings are shipped in pieces from overseas. The shipping crates are packed with styrofoam.

Giant packing peanuts?

#1073 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

The poor soil conditions in this area are quite challenging from a geotechnical perspective. One consideration is foundation settlement due to building loads. Large foam blocks are often used in construction to provide volume (fill) without weight. I suspect they will be using the foam to fill a part of the site to achieve a design grade while mitigating the associated weight gain.

• Mike K. likes this

#1074 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

...Large foam blocks are often used in construction to provide volume (fill) without weight...

IIRC this technique was used at the ERA project on Yates.

#1075 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

AB97972E-18B2-44E6-9EED-1DC5036903D2.jpeg
May 23, 2018
  • Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#1076 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Coming along now!

Know it all.

#1077 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:17 AM

Wow, a whole floor in five months. Amazing!   :whyme:

#1078 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

It does take a while for the underground component. Now that they’re above ground things will move forward very quickly.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1079 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

It does take a while for the underground component. Now that they’re above ground things will move forward very quickly.

The "Bluesky"/ St. Andrew's School project is a perfect example of this. It took forever to get out of the ground, but the wood-framing component is going very quickly.

#1080 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

The "Bluesky"/ St. Andrew's School project is a perfect example of this. It took forever to get out of the ground, but the wood-framing component is going very quickly.

That parkade was substantially more complicated with 286 stalls; this project has 68. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)