BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1101 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

I live in a concrete building now and don't hear anything but the occasional muffled clang of something being dropped. I lived in a woodframe townhouse earlier that was built around 2010 below another townhouse...I slept in the below ground floor and was woken every day but extremely loud footstep banging from children in the townhouse above..even while wearing earplugs!

Anyways..does anyone have the website or contact information for 200 cook st to ask about a rental wait list?

#1102 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

I lived in a 70's wooden townhouse for 7 years... the only time my neighbors ever inquired me about noise was when I was doing plyometrics with sneakers in the evening haha. I also stayed in the ground floor of a newer wood-frame condo for a while, with the bed right above the garage, and I didn't have noise issues. YMMV with sound transmission in wood builds, it depends a lot on the craftsmanship and the specific design. With that said, when I moved to Victoria I made a point to avoid wood-frame apartments because I'd rather not figure out sound transmission the hard way.

• 1vanguy likes this

#1103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

200 Cook is a little odd. Nobody really knows what’s going on, as it was supposed to be a mixed condo and rental building but none of the units hit the market. It might be that they’ll sell them upon completion. A minimum of 17 will be rentals, however.

There’s also Cook and Pendergast which is a condo proposed just up the road from 200 Cook: https://victoria.cit...and-pendergast/
  • 1vanguy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1104 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

September 11

200-Cook-Street-September-11-2018a.jpg

200-Cook-Street-September-11-2018c.jpg

200-Cook-Street-September-11-2018b.jpg

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

OMG! It's taller than some of the trees.  :eek:

• nerka likes this

#1106 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

There goes the neighborhood. A skyscraper at the entrance to CSV. Spotting scopes on every balcony.

• Nparker likes this

#1107 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

I live over near Moss Street. I am pretty sure this skyscraper is going to blot out our sun.

• Nparker likes this

#1108 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Serves you right for investing in your own sun. The sun that everyone else uses wasn't good enough for you?

• Mike K. and nerka like this

#1109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

It's almost as tall as some older buildings in Fairfield. But since this is a new building we're justified in imagining it as being much, much taller than it actually is (tall + old = fine; tall + new = terrible).

Long story short, this is easily the tallest building in Fairfield by a huge margin.

https://goo.gl/maps/nt8koYWfTVT2

https://goo.gl/maps/a49659yQB4P2

https://goo.gl/maps/3SCZdM3g8jo

https://goo.gl/maps/8gqESctarZ52

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and jonny like this

#1110 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

I live over near Moss Street. I am pretty sure this skyscraper is going to blot out our sun.

"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."

The Shadow (1994)

• Mike K. likes this

#1111 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:05 PM

That's also Mike K.'s motto in the office.

• Mike K. likes this

#1112 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

That's also Mike K.'s motto in the office.

"The crime weed of weed crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay... Mike K. The Shadow knows!"

#1113 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

It's almost as tall as some older buildings in Fairfield. But since this is a new building we're justified in imagining it as being much, much taller than it actually is (tall + old = fine; tall + new = terrible).

Long story short, this is easily the tallest building in Fairfield by a huge margin.

https://goo.gl/maps/nt8koYWfTVT2

https://goo.gl/maps/a49659yQB4P2

https://goo.gl/maps/3SCZdM3g8jo

https://goo.gl/maps/8gqESctarZ52

Technically the Escher on Broughton (9 storeys) is in Fairfield too!

#1114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

It's almost as tall as some older buildings in Fairfield. But since this is a new building we're justified in imagining it as being much, much taller than it actually is (tall + old = fine; tall + new = terrible)...

Did any of the above "skyscrapers" get the locals' knickers as twisted then as the equivalent projects would today? I keep wondering at what point did Victoria develop its stupefying case of "acrophobia"?

#1115 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

Although CSV is in Fairfield, the degree of scrutiny applied in CSV is much greater. To some extent this is legitimate, as it is a meeting, shopping and focal point of the surrounding community. That is why it is recognized as an "Urban Village" within the context of the draft Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan. That's all well and good, but community members often fail to accept that good development can actually strengthen neighbourhoods and sustain vitality. "Business Vitality Principles" are part of the CSV plan, but they are often forgotten in the context of development approvals.

#1116 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

to quickly go back to wood frame noise, it depends on how much acoustic insulation you put in the walls.  Since it costs money and no one ever sees it, nor do they experience noise when buying the building brand new and unoccupied, no one really notices

when i built my house every interior wall and floor joist cavity was stuffed with acoustic insulation.  unless you are lead boot person you can't hear anyone walking around upstairs.  Even the bathroom walls got stuffed, the last thing I want to hear is someone doing their business.

#1117 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

to quickly go back to wood frame noise, it depends on how much acoustic insulation you put in the walls.  Since it costs money and no one ever sees it, nor do they experience noise when buying the building brand new and unoccupied, no one really notices

when i built my house every interior wall and floor joist cavity was stuffed with acoustic insulation.  unless you are lead boot person you can't hear anyone walking around upstairs.  Even the bathroom walls got stuffed, the last thing I want to hear is someone doing their business.

+1. I have always had mineral wool batting in walls surrounding all bathrooms and solid core bathroom doors in homes I have had built (4 and counting). That allows someone to shower, etc., without disturbing the rest of the house. The materials are relatively cheap, but it's the labour that adds up. Between units, stud wall separations (which is code) and acoustic channels for drywall are important.

#1118 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

200 Cook St is going totally 'rentals'

https://www.vicnews....ental-building/

“… the development being built at 200 Cook St.– which was originally approved for condominiums–will now offers 47 rental units, including 21 affordable housing units and five fully accessible units.”

#1119 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

How did the Federal Government select this particular building to be switched from condo to rental units?  Did Urban Core Ventures apply for the money - or did our Mayor and Council suggest the building?  Just curious how Urban Core was the winner of the $21 million "investment". 

I also wonder if the exterior of the building will be completed to the original designs/materials or whether it will become a watered down version now that it is slated for rentals.

#1120 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

Lots of questions. Why did the developer agree to switch - poor sales, money flow issues, or better profit? What about the public approval process - if the public is told the building is one thing and ends up being another? While it’s good to see affordable housing what happens if an affordable micro unit condo building gets switched to a Portland Hotel building at the very end? While that may be a good thing shouldn’t that be clear from the onset?
  • Freedom57 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users