BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#541 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

post-3-0-09610000-1468015703.jpg

from that angle anyway it reads as only 3 stories because the part outlined by that wooden (or cor-ten?) bit is set amongst other visual masses (ie trees). the part above that is set back & a lighter colour, which lightens the look of it. people will probably hardly notice that it's taller than the trees along there. i wonder how it relates to the houses on those side streets though.

#542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

....people will probably hardly notice that it's taller than the trees along there...

Many smaller developments in the region aren't as tall as the trees that surround them. Why aren't we hearing cries of anguish over these organic impediments to the peoples' right to have a view?

#543 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Okay, so when do we expect the lease rates for these spaces to come back down to reality?

That is a complex issue, i dont see much movement in the cap rate for this asset class(keep in mind I'm based in Calgary so correct me if I'm wrong). The easier answer might be to increase the lease holder's NOI through increasing the population supporting the village. 

Subway is typically good at site selection, I would suggest that Cook Street Village's population is a bit to *ahem* mature to support much business. I would say as a community we need to support more diversity in the neighbourhood through making sure building typology assortment increased not relatively homogenous.  

#544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

In other words, messing with the parking situation will make a massive negative impact on the village.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

In other words, messing with the parking situation will make a massive negative impact on the village.

more akin to make sure new projects are built and that they target demographics that aren't single pensioners. CSV is fairly homogeneous in that it is largely older single family dwellings and older rental apartment buildings. Should there be development of higher end condos and townhousing units then the Village would benefit, Infill duplexes could also add some more potential for economic development.  

#546 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

This project looks just about perfect for Cook Street Village. It is exactly what the City's Official Community Plan reflects. It also extends the village a block south, adding to a dynamic atmosphere. I just can't understand why Mr. Tafler and the others are so worked up.

• Nparker and AndrewReeve like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#547 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

I just can't understand why Mr. Tafler and the others are so worked up.

I don't know either. Here we see the Fairfield neighbors presenting their Cook Street Village guidelines to the prospective developer:

Untitled-3.gif
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

How about a letter roll-call? This is one of those projects where council would appreciate hearing from a broader range of the public.

Council contact form: http://www.victoria.... email&referer=

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#549 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

How about a letter roll-call? This is one of those projects where council would appreciate hearing from a broader range of the public.

Council contact form: http://www.victoria.... email&referer=

I'm sending one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#550 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

So it appears that both Moka House opposite the Starbucks and the Booster Juice on the same block as the former Subway are listed for sale.

My inclination is this does not bode well for either business. Moka House is very tired and needs fresh capital, soon. Booster Juice may simply be bringing in too little profit. The latter is listed at $115k, the former at just under $800k.

Know it all.

#551 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

It's not until you start seeing established businesses begin to struggle that you realize the community needs a dose of fresh development.

Subway, then bank, Moka House and Booster Juice.

Amazing that Pic-A-Flic is still there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#552 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

So it appears that both Moka House opposite the Starbucks and the Booster Juice on the same block as the former Subway are listed for sale.

My inclination is this does not bode well for either business. Moka House is very tired and needs fresh capital, soon. Booster Juice may simply be bringing in too little profit. The latter is listed at $115k, the former at just under $800k.

Isn't Moka House owned by the guy that owns the pub and the butcher?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#553 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Isn't Moka House owned by the guy that owns the pub and the butcher?

Part owner of the pub at least, not sure what percentage.

#554 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

I used to go to booster juice frequently on my walks to and from the park, but ever since they made their washroom staff-only I don't go there anymore.  I'm sure it was me who pushed them over the edge.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#555 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

I used to go to booster juice frequently on my walks to and from the park, but ever since they made their washroom staff-only I don't go there anymore.  I'm sure it was me who pushed them over the edge.

I'm not sure I'd want to use a washroom frequented by people on 'boosters'...

Aren't places like that required to have a washroom for customer use?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#556 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

Aren't places like that required to have a washroom for customer use?

Only if they have seating for customers. Takeout does not require washrooms. 

• sebberry likes this

#557 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Tafler is coming off as cuckoo for cocoa puffs as members of Victoria council:

...Tafler said some village residents plan to gather about 8:30 outside city hall Thursday morning to speak out against the development, while handing out free “Cook Street Cookies.” A Cook Street Cookie, he said, is low rise (has no yeast), is affordable (free), has a diversity of ingredients, is enjoyed by all ages, [and] is best when consumed with friends, family and neighbours...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.YkbTYE16.dpuf

• Rob Randall likes this

#558 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

I find it rather ridiculous that people spend months and even years being activists over such a silly cause.  With all of the problems in this world that people could devote time and energy towards helping, this ranks at the bottom in my opinion.

• Nparker likes this

#559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

This is almost the textbook definition of "first world problems".

#560 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, it's bizarre, but it makes you wonder if there's a political motivation here.

Wayne Hollohan, Sid Tafler's counterpart, tried to get onto council (I think) three elections back. He didn't do very well.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)