BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1201 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

IMG_20200222_125708.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#1202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

At least the power lines aren't completely obstructed by this behemoth.  ;)

#1203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:08 AM

All that opposition, the fear mongering, the angry letters and the radio interviews decrying a neighbourbood crasher. And there it stands, a little five-storey residential building.
  • grantpalin, DavidSchell and qv like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1204 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:47 AM

I think it looks great. Curious to know who the commercial tenants are going to be for the ground floor.

#1205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

how about a royal bank that converts to an ice cream shop from june 15 to september 15?  "let's make someday happen".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2020 - 09:58 AM.

#1206 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:03 AM

All that opposition, the fear mongering, the angry letters and the radio interviews decrying a neighbourbood crasher. And there it stands, a little five-storey residential building.

Of course, if you owned a property immediately to the west of this project, you might have a different opinion.However, those negative views might potentially be mitigated by the level of vibrancy the project brings to the community, especially what service providers occupy the first level.

#1207 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

Of course, if you owned a property immediately to the west of this project, you might have a different opinion.However, those negative views might potentially be mitigated by the level of vibrancy the project brings to the community, especially what service providers occupy the first level.

If anything this will make the neighbours' property more valuable, not less.

#1208 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

...those negative views might potentially be mitigated by the level of vibrancy the project brings to the community...

I just hope we're not setting our expectations too high re: the impact of one more apartment building in Fairfield and two or three more neighbourhood-style commercial units in Cook Street Village itself. Can Fairfield's 150th apartment building (or whatever it happens to be) really have a significant impact in any aspect, positive or negative? This building isn't transforming the neighbourhood. Heck, the redevelopment of the corner of Fairfield and Moss involves the loss of a major piece of Fairfield's architectural heritage. Nothing like that happened here.

This project is really just an instance of incremental redevelopment, but many critics and supporters alike have tried to portray it as if were some major thing bringing complete and transformative change to CSV or even to Fairfield as a whole.

Coast_of_British_Columbia-DroneCrazy.jpg
screen grab from "Coast of British Columbia" YouTube video by DroneCrazy

#1209 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

As a keen gardener I would be pretty annoyed by having a lot of my sunlight blocked.

#1210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

Since the building is east of its neighbours, its shadow impact won’t be a big deal. The bigger issue are Park Blvd apartment blocks that stand to the south of SFDs with gardens.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1211 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

As a keen gardener I would be pretty annoyed by having a lot of my sunlight blocked.

The building is no taller than a middle aged cedar tree.   A neighbour can plant trees on their property and completely block your light without any discussion.   This building starts to slope away from the property line at 10 metres height so I expect the light issue us not that bad.

I always have to shake my head at people that buy single family homes close to streets that are so clearly going to eventually be re-developed for more density.   It may not happen now, but it will happen because there is a need for more housing and it has to go somewhere and no one will allow it in the middle of single family home neighbourhoods.

#1212 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

I think it looks great. Curious to know who the commercial tenants are going to be for the ground floor.

At one point, I had heard that Jam was going in on the ground floor corner spot, but now I see For Rent signs in the windows.  I would love to see another eating spot in the Village.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#1213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:27 AM

Has this building received occupancy yet?

Know it all.

#1214 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

Has this building received occupancy yet?

The BPs are still shown as "Active" on VicMap. I think they get switched to "Completed" at occupancy.

#1215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Perfect. Thank you.

Know it all.

#1216 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:55 AM

The building itself seems to be largely complete ...

#1217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:58 AM

Urban Core’s website says it was completed in 2018.

Know it all.

#1218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

Urban Core’s website says it was completed in 2018.

2018!  :eek:

#1219 IPH

IPH
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:33 AM

The BPs are still shown as "Active" on VicMap. I think they get switched to "Completed" at occupancy.

Based on furniture and light activity in the building at night there are quite few units occupied with tenants.  Does the city issue partial occupancy for sections of the building or are they just turning a blind eye that the building has tenants living in it without occupancy?  As a landlord I would be concerned about the validity of my insurance if I didn't have occupancy from the city.

#1220 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

Based on furniture and light activity in the building at night there are quite few units occupied with tenants.  Does the city issue partial occupancy for sections of the building or are they just turning a blind eye that the building has tenants living in it without occupancy?  As a landlord I would be concerned about the validity of my insurance if I didn't have occupancy from the city.

As the BP is for both the residential and commercial components, it could be that there's partial occupancy for the residences while the commercial base is still completing? Dunno, just shooting in the dark...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users