BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Not fit in? Give me a break.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

5 more retail spots to help the village thrive, give more variety to area residents.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Absolutely. This is a 5 -storey development, and the neighbouring East Park condo building is 4.5 storeys. I wouldn't call that difference "massive" by any definition.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#124 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

This would be the tallest building in the Cook Street corridor south of Johnson Street and may trigger redevelopment of other properties in the Village. That 'might' lead to a transformative changes in the character of the Village. Be very careful what you wish for. This project 'might' also be indicative of the erosion of the rental inventory in Fairfield.

Isn't the Abstract Developments project at Cook and Fort planned for 6 storeys?

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

And it begins...

“It's absolutely massive,” said Wayne Hollohan, Cook Street resident...

I believe that phrase can be found ad nauseam in that famous work "The St. Andrew's Apocalypse: How I Stopped Thinking and Learned to Love the Chickens"

• LJ, jonny and AndrewReeve like this

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Isn't the Abstract Developments project at Cook and Fort planned for 6 storeys?

Oh sure, now the pitchforks are going to come out after that one  :farmer:

• Mike K. likes this

#127 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

One of the biggest concerns brought up was the height.

“It's absolutely massive,

#128 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

This is going to sound horrible, but how much weight should we give to people who are 60+ years old and protesting these developments? These developments will impact the areas long after they are dead or in assisted living facilities. Why should their voices matter so much? How many NIMBYs are in their 20s versus 50s or 60s? Council should be listening to people in their 20s to 40s... people who will be living in these neighbourhoods for decades to come and stand to gain or lose with good or bad development decisions. In fact, it's not even about them. It's that people have lost all ability to think beyond the confines of "how does this affect me personally and my world view", and instead "what do I want for this city's children and grandchildren? What choices will benefit them and this city as a whole?" We are so afraid to think beyond our own mortality, to admit that life and cities will continue to evolve after we die, that we selfishly disregard what is best for the many. 

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 3 others like this

#129 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

This is going to sound horrible, but how much weight should we give to people who are 60+ years old and protesting these developments? These developments will impact the areas long after they are dead or in assisted living facilities. Why should their voices matter so much? How many NIMBYs are in their 20s versus 50s or 60s? Council should be listening to people in their 20s to 40s...

How many times in history has this same argument come up?  I would venture to say that every society struggles with the different points of view between generations (particularly about change).  Just look at the influence of boomers on music and the excitement generated on VV when a geriatric rock band comes to town!  Votes and voices count and the only way to move forward is to have a more compelling argument or vision.  If that vision can be clearly articulated and supported by people showing up at meetings/hearings, then we can move forward with appropriate development.

#130 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

The same people that oppose these developments end up using the 

5 more retail spots to help the village thrive, give more variety to area residents.

Exactly, and those opposing the development would probably be the first ones using the retail shops.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#131 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

Gotta see these plans.

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

This is going to sound horrible, but how much weight should we give to people who are 60+ years old and protesting these developments? These developments will impact the areas long after they are dead or in assisted living facilities. Why should their voices matter so much? How many NIMBYs are in their 20s versus 50s or 60s? Council should be listening to people in their 20s to 40s... people who will be living in these neighbourhoods for decades to come and stand to gain or lose with good or bad development decisions. In fact, it's not even about them. It's that people have lost all ability to think beyond the confines of "how does this affect me personally and my world view", and instead "what do I want for this city's children and grandchildren? What choices will benefit them and this city as a whole?" We are so afraid to think beyond our own mortality, to admit that life and cities will continue to evolve after we die, that we selfishly disregard what is best for the many. 

“Maybe I`m getting to the age when I`m starting to be senile or nostalgic or both, but people are so angry now. You used to be able to disagree with people and still be friends. Now you hear these talk shows, and everyone who believes differently from you is a moron and an idiot - both on the Right and the Left. ”
― Clint Eastwood

• sebberry likes this

#133 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

I had forgotten about Wayne. Good to see some things never change.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#134 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

The current issue of the Fairfield Gonzales Observer has op-Ed articles from Sid Tafler and Leonard Cole (Urban Core Ventures) about this development.

Tafler expresses some concerns about the devopment as well as the changing retail landscape: "Since then [Castana/Essencia Verde development], the village has attracted chain store outlets and lost amenities like the laundromat and the cobbler..."

The attraction of chain stores is a bit of a red herring as the village had chain stores (Starbucks, Mac's, etc.) before Essencia Verde, and Essencia Verde is home to great local businesses like Mother Nature Market. And the laundromat had been unprofitable for years when its owners sold to Big Wheel...

Just my two cents. :-)
  • Nparker and AndrewReeve like this

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

When you have nothing else to support your tenuous argument, introduce the "evil chain store" bugaboo.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

Big Wheel, which Tafler fails to mention, is a locally run business which took over space in an aging building.

That sort of spin doctoring is lame all around.
  • Nparker and AndrewReeve like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#137 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

I'm surprised that the laundromat wasn't closed for health or fire reasons. Let's get on with having good developments to revive old tired buildings. While this occurs, it is essential to ensure that there is enough reasonable rent accommodation for those displaced.

Build solid village cores with great stores and seniors accommodation so they can walk to what is needed later in life. Build townhouse and row house accommodation around parks and playgrounds so kids have places to play. Have density around the urban core for professionals and retirees.

Development is a tool of positive change. Bad development shouldn't be allowed, of course, but to say 'no' just because it takes down a deteriorating earthquake - prone box because it is a half floor taller than the adjacent condo? That is simply fear of change.
  • sebberry likes this
"I know nothing"

#138 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

You know a development is especially evil when it's causing laundromats to close all across the country.

A great neighbourhood pizza place like Prima Strada is a major amenity, and I'm not kidding. Did Mr. Tafler mention it in his piece?

• vicernie likes this

#139 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

What the hell is a cobbler? Some kind of dessert?

Serious Coffee is locally owned. I bet the liquor store, Rainbird and medical clinic are too. Heck, even the Subway is locally owned. 

Let's see, in the two new buildings on that stretch of Cook we have a new grocery store, coffee shop, pizza place, liquor store, smoothie joint, sandwich shop and clothing store.

In the other new building up by Moka House, there is a locally owned pizza place, a locally owned restaurant and a locally owned pet store. 

Yup, those sure sound like the ills of modern society to me...down with smoothies and pizza!

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and thundergun like this

#140 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

You know a development is especially evil when it's causing laundromats to close all across the country.

A great neighbourhood pizza place like Prima Strada is a major amenity, and I'm not kidding. Did Mr. Tafler mention it in his piece?

Ya, we need more laundromats in our urban nodes.  What a joke Tafler is.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users