BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

New development planned in Cook St Village. From the looks of it, the plans are for a 5 floor residential condo building with ground floor commercial/retail. Will involved demolishing the two SFH and two small apartment buildings at Cook and Oliphant. Hope the plans are nice! Could be a nice extension to the retail offerings of Cook St Village. Hope the plans are good!

IMG_20141203_185621.jpg

IMG_20141203_185631.jpg

• Mike K., gumgum, Nparker and 1 other like this

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

This will likely be very controversial but at the same time I have wished for this exact project to happen for a long time.
  • Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

New development planned in Cook St Village. From the looks of it, the plans are for a 5 floor residential condo building with ground floor commercial/retail. Will involved demolishing the two SFH and two small apartment buildings at Cook and Oliphant. Hope the plans are nice! Could be a nice extension to the retail offerings of Cook St Village. Hope the plans are good!

Wow. That's one brave developer. This has the potential to be a bloodbath almost as bad as the Mason St. project...at least there are no farms or urban chickens on Cook Street, right?

This is absolutely the right idea and density for Cook St Village though. The two newer buildings down there have been fantastic additions.

• Mr Cook Street and AndrewReeve like this

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

It's south enough in the Village that maybe it'll be less controversial than the last one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

It's south enough in the Village that maybe it'll be less controversial than the last one.

Hopefully the local yokel's remember that fantastic local businesses such as Bubby's Kitchen, Paws on Cook, Mother's Nature groceries, Rainbird Apparel and Prima Strada now have homes in the village thanks to the two newer developments that were controversial back in the day.

• Mr Cook Street and AndrewReeve like this

#6 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wow. That's one brave developer. This has the potential to be a bloodbath almost as bad as the Mason St. project...at least there are no farms or urban chickens on Cook Street, right?

This is absolutely the right idea and density for Cook St Village though. The two newer buildings down there have been fantastic additions.

There is a large house across the street on Oliphant that has a handful of chickens. I think they also grow some veggies.

This plan wouldn't end up being too much taller than the condo at Cook and Park. It SHOULDN'T be controversial.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yeah well the Castana was shorter and it was certainly a bloodbath I am still shocked they actually finished it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

There is a large house across the street on Oliphant that has a handful of chickens. I think they also grow some veggies.

This plan wouldn't end up being too much taller than the condo at Cook and Park. It SHOULDN'T be controversial.

lol of course there are chickens. What was I thinking?

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

This is Victoria EVERYTHING is controversial. :mad:

• AllseeingEye likes this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

lol of course there are chickens. What was I thinking?

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the chickens!!!!

• Mike K. likes this

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

Here's an aerial of the site, looking west, Cook St. running left-right - http://www.bing.com/...y=o&form=LMLTCC

#12 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Not keen on the loss of rental to condo, but otherwise good. The City forced the Abstract folks for the Village building to provide 1:1 replacement of rental stock, which I personally think is a good starting place.

#13 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

I'd wager there are 20-25 housing units currently on site. It shouldn't be hard to increase the number of housing units overall if the plan does ahead with all four floors of residential.

Not keen on the loss of rental to condo, but otherwise good. The City forced the Abstract folks for the Village building to provide 1:1 replacement of rental stock, which I personally think is a good starting place.

How does the city enforce this to make sure that those rentals actually materialize? I don't think that is a bad idea.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Here's an aerial of the site, looking west, Cook St. running left-right - http://www.bing.com/...y=o&form=LMLTCC

Are all "Bing" photos this out of date? That image has to have been take at least 5 years ago.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

I would love to see this but it's never going to happen.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

This may be a rental, afawk. The strata component could be related to the commercial space, perhaps?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Here is the existing site:

C and O.jpg

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:39 PM

This may be a rental, afawk. The strata component could be related to the commercial space, perhaps?

Huh?  It's either all strata or none.  You can't have strata units below purpose-built rental units.  You could have strata apartments that you agree to covenant as rental-only (not for sale) for some period of time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

Huh?  It's either all strata or none.  You can't have strata units below purpose-built rental units.  You could have strata apartments that you agree to covenant as rental-only (not for sale) for some period of time.

You can't have strata'd commercial units below rental apartments?

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Surely that happens? There are mixed market and rental residential buildings. Hudson Mews was to have 20 market units above the rentals and there are mixed-use market residential, office and commercial buildings. Perhaps technically there are the covenants VHF mentions but that's more of a formality than an impediment to having rentals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users