BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1161 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

That’s looking really good!

Except the vinyl sidingesque exterior cladding on the second and third floors.  It's the one part of the building that pops for me, and it really shouldn't.  Strange design aesthetic IMHO.

• Nparker likes this

#1162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

In another thread I hoped goofy siding wasn't becoming a thing, but it seems to be becoming a thing. The Mason Street project, Capital Park, and now this one. It looks very out of place.

• Nparker and Bob Fugger like this

#1163 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

On this one I think it bothers me the least of those, however.

#1164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

In another thread I hoped goofy siding wasn't becoming a thing, but it seems to be becoming a thing...

Let's hope it's a thing with a very short lifespan.

#1165 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

Except the vinyl sidingesque exterior cladding on the second and third floors.  It's the one part of the building that pops for me, and it really shouldn't.  Strange design aesthetic IMHO.

In another thread I hoped goofy siding wasn't becoming a thing, but it seems to be becoming a thing. The Mason Street project, Capital Park, and now this one. It looks very out of place.

When told to draw design inspiration from the surrounding single-family neighbourhoods, unfortunately the go-to choice is often vinyl siding. It may not look like a house, but we can sure dress it up like one!

• aastra likes this

#1166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

When told to draw design inspiration from the surrounding single-family neighbourhoods, unfortunately the go-to choice is often vinyl siding...

It's just plain laziness on the part of architects/designers that they don't come up with something better than vinyl siding in these situations.

#1167 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

When told to draw design inspiration from the surrounding single-family neighbourhoods, unfortunately the go-to choice is often vinyl siding. It may not look like a house, but we can sure dress it up like one!

This drives me crazy. Imagine a six-foot-five guy on his first day working at a day care centre. His employer wants him to wear appropriate clothing for the job so the guy shows up wearing a tiny pair of baby blue terry-cloth short shorts. "Well, it's what my clients are wearing". It's ridiculous but that's the thinking that's going on. 

It's not a house, it's a multi-unit building, get over it and stop trying to hide it.

I doubt the architects like siding, they're just desperate to get approval from the planning department. "Siding, Hardiplant, river rock, whatever, just tell us what will get an OK".

Edited by Rob Randall, 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1168 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

I like "Hardiplants", they last longer, but I can never seem to find them. LOL   :wave:

Oh, you  meant "HardiePlank", my mistake.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1169 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

That awful vinyl siding crap has shown up at the Capital Park project too. It looks terrible. 

• Nparker likes this

#1170 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

I imagine neighbourhood groups applauding and saying, "Yeah! That's what apartment buildings in this neighbourhood should look like." As if the other hundred apartment buildings in the neighbourhood that don't have goofy siding got it wrong or something.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#1171 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

I'm sure you'll find goofy siding here and there on some older buildings, but on high-profile new buildings you normally wouldn't aspire to that sort of stuff.

#1172 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

Another shot from today (May 28):

057FE5BF-9553-4FCC-86B6-9347F5CB45FC.jpeg

#1173 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Is that just painted concrete on the upper floors?

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

#1174 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

Nope, just a ho-hum stucco finish over wood framing.

• Nparker and Kungsberg like this

~ Jasmine ~

#1175 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:11 AM

Look on the bright side, the siding is cleanable and water resistant!  As for the stucco, it tends to get mildewed and black over time, but can always be painted over.

I think the building looks pretty good. They have broken up the massing, have lots of architectural details, and lots of glazing to let in light. Thankfully not your bog-standard, ho-hum, concrete box.

It might even convince a few people that five story skyscrapers are not that bad!  :)

#1176 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

Thankfully not your bog-standard, ho-hum, concrete box.

Isn't that a given? Almost all of Fairfield's bog-standard, ho-hum boxes are wood frame. There are a couple of older concrete buildings on Linden, but they're actually not bog-standard. I think the only bog-standard, ho-hum concrete buildings in Fairfield would be the very old ones at Quadra and Collinson and at Quadra and Academy Close? But the recent paint job on the latter has diminished some of its bog-standardness.

#1177 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

I actually like this building too, for the reasons Torrontes mentions, and I don't have an objection to painted surfaces.  

My reason for asking wasn't so much concrete vs stucco, it was more how poorly finished I thought the job looked, underneath the paint. Look at those 2-3 depressions in-between the two big windows, and the entire section on that corner to the left.  That's rough, to my eye. I mean, this is a brand-new build, with new materials, not covering up some fault on an older building. It reminds me of my travels to Turkey and Morocco.

Attached Images

• IMG_2611.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#1178 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

It reminds me of my travels to Turkey and Morocco.

Victoria is often called the Ankara of the northwest.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1179 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

Ankara is inland. How about Marmaris, Fetihye or Gocek. We could build some tombs in Rockland.

#1180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Occupancy is anticipated for October.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users