BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1081 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

That parkade was substantially more complicated with 286 stalls; this project has 68. 

And it hasn't taken nearly as long for 200 Cook Street to reach ground level.

#1082 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

That's right. It took them only 6 months to reach ground level and 4 months to finish the first floor. Once the framing is complete, the time consuming work begins.

#1083 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#1084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Fantastic, thanks!
  • Kungsberg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1085 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

Framing has begun on the fourth floor
5C28A782-4B7A-47A3-8EDF-74CF2C012C2C.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#1086 woz

woz
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

Does anyone know when 200 Cook Street will start renting? How many months does a project like this take to complete once framing is done? Thanks.

#1087 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone know when 200 Cook Street will start renting? How many months does a project like this take to complete once framing is done? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Woz.  Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but one of us might :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1088 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Should be ready by mid-2019.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1089 woz

woz
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

Welcome to the forum, Woz.  Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but one of us might :)

Thanks, been lurking for a little while now  :wave:

Should be ready by mid-2019.

I was worried the 2018 estimate on Citified was optimistic. Oh well.  :badpc:

#1090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

Yeah it was originally late 2018 but the way things are going that’s not going to materialize.

March-June of next year is my guess.

Know it all.

#1091 1vanguy

1vanguy
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

does wood frame mean you'll be able to hear your upstairs neighbor's kids stomping around?

#1092 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

does wood frame mean you'll be able to hear your upstairs neighbor's kids stomping around?

Welcome, 1vanguy.

Wood frame construction itself doesn't necessarily mean you'll hear your neighbour's kid stomping around.  Floor coverings, joist design, drywall type and installation methods can all play a part in how much sound is transferred between suites.  The only real way to know how this particular building is constructed really is to ask the developer.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1093 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

The only real way to know how much the sound transfer is an issue is to live in the building for a couple of weeks when all the neighbours are home. My solution to this when I bought my first condo was to buy a top floor, corner unit.

Edited by lanforod, 16 August 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#1094 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

...My solution to this when I bought my first condo was to buy a top floor, corner unit.

I've had more sound transfer come from the unit below me than from above. Of course, the issue then was a mother who refused to discipline her screaming toddlers. 

#1095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

You’ll hear folks regardless if you live below them. Concrete buildings can also transfer sound laterally so if your next door neighbour is heavy footed there’s a good chance you’ll hear it.

If you’re sensitive to noise lanforod’s advice is a golden rule.

Know it all.

#1096 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,855 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

The solution is psychological.   when **you make unpleasant noise in your own suite moving furniture etc. you think nothing of it.  put your mind into the same space for your neighbours' sounds.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2018 - 07:54 AM.

#1097 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

The question is pretty generic. How many kids are there? How old are they? How much do they weigh? How hard are they stomping?

If your neighbours are total idiots, you're going to hear them in multi-family housing. Townhouse, low rise, high rise, concrete, wood frame - noise transfers. The neighbours at our old townhouse complex were more annoying than any of our neighbours in our condo building. 

Modern wood frame is pretty good. Our wood frame condo built in 2017 is nothing at all like the older 1970'sish buildings I have lived in before. Having lived in our wood frame condo for over a year now, it's interesting the sounds you hear (not much, really). 

The best thing to do is take these issues head on and not let them bother you for weeks and weeks. Most people are quite receptive to feedback and don't want to be a nuisance to their neighbours. Most don't realize they are being too noisy or that others can hear their loud TV, etc.  

People wearing shoes in their house vs not wearing shoes seems to make a big difference. Floor coverings obviously make a huge difference. 

• Nparker likes this

#1098 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

The solution is psychological.   when **you make unpleasant noise in your own suite moving furniture etc. you think nothing of it.  put your mind into the same space for your neighbours' sounds.

Should be more like consider your noise generating activities and how they might impact your neighbours. The proverbial 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'

The amount of hard versus soft surfaces within a space obviously is also important. Even though there is a move to hardwood and tile, many condo rules require some percentage of the flooring to be covered with carpet. The nature of furnishings also have an impact. Low frequency bass sounds can travel a long way, even in steel and concrete.

• jonny likes this

#1099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,855 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

It's still psychological.  you take no issue with toilet-flushing, laundry, TV, or taps on and off when it's your partner, spouse, or family member in your home.  those exact same noises, even at a lesser volume through walls drive you crazy when it's your neighbour known or unknown.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#1100 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

Those exact same noises are at different times though.  Me working on my computer while my wife is watching a movie doesn't ruin my night,  but a neighbour loudly playing music at 12am so that no on can sleep does ruin a night.  A neighbour coming home from work and not taking their shoes off right away and stomping around a little at 6pm doesn't bother,  I can hear, but it's not big deal.  Them doing the same thing at 1am after coming home from a night shift absolutely does though.

• Torrontes likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users