Where do you get your Christmas Tree?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

The benefits of cutting your own

Dec. 6 is National Christmas Tree Day, and according to Shirley Brennan six million trees are sold in Canada or exported every year,

with Scotts Pine and White Spruce among the most popular varieties.

Here are the top five reasons to cut your own Christmas tree, according to Brennan:

1. Real trees take carbon dioxide out of the air and release oxygen into your home.

2. Real trees create natural aromatherapy. The scent of fresh cut pine improves your mood and fights depression, says Brennan.

3. Everybody has their own idea of the perfect tree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say, and going out to find your own is an opportunity to fulfill a creative vision.

4. Cutting your own tree is an excuse for physical exercise in the great outdoors.

5. It's also an excuse for a family to spend some time together away from their electronic devices.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

Where can you cut your own here?

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

It really is good exercise. I cut my own tree and the Commissionaire chased me for three blocks.

• sebberry, LocalMom, Jill and 2 others like this

#4 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Where can you cut your own here?

• Jingle Bell Tree Farm - Christmas trees-you choose and you cut, trees baled, saws provided, restrooms, petting zoo, farm animals
    7969 Wallace Drive, Saanichton, BC V8M 4M9. Phone: 250-652-2771. Email: dsmorneau@shaw.ca. Open: December Weekends 10am to 4pm. Directions: North on the Pat Bay Highway, turn left onto Mt. Newton X Road, at the red flashing light turn right onto East Saanich Road, and right again onto Wallace Drive just past the stop sign. Open December weekends, 10 to 4; Come and visit our Clydesdale Horses, or the goats from the Beacon Hill Petting Zoo; Complimentary hot chocolate and coffee. Payment: Cash, Cheque. 
    Christmas tree varieties:
    You-Choose and You-Cut varieties: Balsam Fir, Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Grand Fir, Noble Fir, Norway Spruce, Scotch Pine. 
    (UPDATED: November 30, 2012)
  • Moss Farms - Christmas trees-you choose and you cut, Christmas trees- you choose and we cut, 
    5209 Old West Saanich Road., Victoria, BC V9E2B1. Phone: 250-744-1491. Email: mossent@shaw.ca. Directions: long panhandle driveway off of Old West Saanich RD Open: The first weekend of Dec. and all week ends up to the and the day before Christmas Payment: Cash, only.
    Christmas tree varieties:
    You-Choose and You-Cut varieties:  Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Grand Fir, White Spruce. 
    You Choose and We cut varieties: Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Grand Fir, White Spruce.
  • Saanichton Christmas Tree and Ostrich Farm - follows organic methods, Choose and cut your own tree from many varieties. Free hot apple cider, hand saw supplied. Gift shop open in December.
    8231 East Saanich Road, Victoria, BC. Phone 250-652-3345. 15 varieties of Christmas Trees on our six-acre farm, and have a "Choose and Cut" operation. We also have 3 pens with 13 adult breeding ostriches. Ostrich eggs are collected and incubated on the farm. The farm also produces a wide array of fruit and vegetables, flowers and culinary herbs. We practice organic agriculture to the best of our abilities.
  • Sparton Acres - ORGANIC, Christmas trees-you choose and you cut, Christmas trees- you choose and we cut
    402 Sparton Road, Victoria, BC V9E 2H4. Phone: 250-213-8788. Fax: 250-386-8180. Email us at: laptop@ronneal.com. Directions: Between the corners of Prospect Lake and West Saanich and Old West Saanich and Oldfield. . We are open December. Our hours are: Call 1st for availability and crop status We are certified organic for all crops! Payment: Cash, only. Saanich County

From here: http://www.pickyouro...rg/CNxmasbc.php

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

^Thanks. I have heard of most of those. I didn't word my post correctly. I guess I was hoping for a recommendation for the best one.

Edited by gumgum, 06 December 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

I take mine out of a box each year and plug it in.  It has blinky lights and stuff.

• Baro, Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

I take mine out of a box each year and plug it in.  It has blinky lights and stuff.

As for the relaxing scent of cedar, my brother got a cheap tree from save-on one year and it stank like chemicals (pesticides?  no idea).  I'm fine with the fake tree.  

Edited by pherthyl, 06 December 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

There must be some VVer's that have treed acreage that is ready to be logged.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

As for the relaxing scent of cedar, my brother got a cheap tree from save-on one year and it stank like chemicals (pesticides?  no idea).  I'm fine with the fake tree.  

The folks will get a real tree this year but mine has to be fire retardant plastic as per our strata overlords, so I don't bother with anything that has to be assembled.  It's a short little fiber optic tree. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

Most people use pine trees.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

You mean you can't just go out into the woods and cut your own tree for free anymore? Sheesh.

#12 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

http://www.for.gov.b...f/xmastrees.htm

According to that site, the closest place you can cut a tree on crown land is just north of Campbell River (with a permit, which is free).

• todd likes this

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

There must be some VVer's that have treed acreage that is ready to be logged.

I've got a fifty footer that blew over during the wind storm. You might have to fiddle with your stand a little.

• Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 1 other like this

#14 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

You mean you can't just go out into the woods and cut your own tree for free anymore? Sheesh.

As my grade school teacher said, yes you can but no you may not.

• Nparker likes this

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

I've got a fifty footer that blew over during the wind storm. You might have to fiddle with your stand a little.

I'll be by for the top three feet.

• Nparker likes this

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

pherthyl, on 06 Dec 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

As my grade school teacher said, yes you can but no you may not.

Yeah but mayn't is such a crappy word.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

Wooded areas should be avoided to prevent injury from falling trees or branches. 

Environment Canada warns residents to brace for heavy rain, high winds

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2864131?cmp=rss

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,292 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:53 AM

Anawim House:

https://www.vicnews....-at-risk-women/

The society will be raising more money by selling Christmas trees again this year. The sale will begin on Nov. 30, and there will be more than 700 trees on their lot by Dec. 2.

“It puts a smile on our residents’ faces,” director Edison-Brown added. “It gives them the spirit of Christmas.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users