• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1208 replies to this topic

#81 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

The statement also says that at a Dec. 8 in-camera meeting councillors unanimously supported a motion distancing themselves from Atwell’s actions in the matter:

I see they're going to get along well...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

“Council does not support the actions taken by Mayor Richard Atwell whether as mayor-elect or mayor with respect to the ongoing employment of Paul Murray as chief administrative officer of the District of Saanich.”

A news release from Saanich says the in-camera meeting Dec. 8 was the first opportunity for the entire council to discuss Atwell’s actions with regard to Murray’s employment. They had no prior knowledge what Atwell was doing and had not agreed to it.

Sources told the Times Colonist last week that prior to being sworn in, Atwell, accompanied by lawyer Troy Desouza, who does not work for the municipality, met with Murray to tell him Atwell wanted him gone.

“The actions taken by Mayor Atwell left council with no viable options other than to proceed to end the employment relationship with Mr. Murray,” the statement says. “Council is also concerned about the financial impact the mayor’s actions have had on the citizens of Saanich — a total payment of $476,611 [inclusive of accrued vacation of $55,448].” The statement says that is equivalent to a half a percentage lift in taxes that could have been used elsewhere.

“All I can say is: ‘Who is going to be leading council in Saanich? The jury is still out.’ But someone will lead,” said veteran Coun. Leif Wergeland.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...c.2xpvL5xY.dpuf

I though Saanich had a fireworks ban lol.  Interesting times.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...c.2xpvL5xY.dpuf

I though Saanich had a fireworks ban lol.  Interesting times.

It is clear from various council member comments over the past few days that Atwell is on an Island. The only question now is whether he finally clues in as Helps did and tries to make amends, or he feels buoyed by his supporters and keeps on heading down the warpath.

Judging by his actions over the past few days this guy is in big trouble.

- He obviously has no media training yet keeps putting himself in front of the camera looking foolish and uncomfortable

- He makes stupid statements like 'the role of council is to ratify his decisions' and then doesn't clarify them

- He is letting his supporters post inane statements on his facebook page like cleaning house of Saanich staff and him stepping in as CAO himself

- He has alienated the entire council

Judging by the statement from the council, it doesn't sound like Atwell was apologetic.

Edited by spanky123, 17 December 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#84 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

I wonder how Victoria and Saanich would get along if they amalgamated... TODAY?

#85 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Atwell is off to a flying start. Within a week he has managed to alienate councillors who have no beef with the CAO; show he is willing to throw away half a million bucks of tax revenue in a severance to serve some unknown, perhaps personal agenda; look decidedly un-mayoral on camera; show he didn't seem to know the proper procedures for removing a CAO before blowing off publicly.

I don't live in Saanich but my impression was always that Leonard was a pro.
  • Mixed365 likes this

#86 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

Atwell campaigned on a platform of being more open - he needs to let Saanich residents know why he couldn't get along with the CAO.

And this is exactly why I think Mayoral candidates should be required to spend a term on council before being able to run for mayor. 

• Bingo and Mixed365 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Atwell campaigned on a platform of being more open - he needs to let Saanich residents know why he couldn't get along with the CAO.

And this is exactly why I think Mayoral candidates should be required to spend a term on council before being able to run for mayor. 

He can't talk about personnel issues though.  Or can he now that the employee is gone?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

If there was misconduct, then state it.  You don't have to go into details. 

If there was a difference of opinion, clarify it.  You don't have to get into personal personnel specifics, but at least clear it up a bit.  Especially when it's costing the taxpayers nearly half a million dollars.   

• Bingo likes this

#89 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

At least Helps' painfully rookie maneuvers haven't cost the CoV a bucket full of cash (yet).

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Atwell campaigned on a platform of being more open...

That should have been a big red flag right there. No politician in history has ever delivered on that promise.

• Nparker likes this

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

At least Helps' painfully rookie maneuvers haven't cost the CoV a bucket full of cash (yet).

If the dismissal means a policy change that cuts taxes, or reduces the increase by just 1/8 of a percentage point, it's a wash.

#92 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

He wasn't even Mayor yet and had never served on council so how could he know that he couldn't get along with the CAO unless it was some prior personal issue.

#93 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

If the dismissal means a policy change that cuts taxes, or reduces the increase by just 1/8 of a percentage point, it's a wash.

I think that Atwell's supporters will have a rude awakening when they find out that the new CAO is going to cost just as much, if not more, as the old one. $200K plus bonus isn't a lot to be paying to the CEO of a company with several hundred employees and a budget the size of Saanich. My guess is that any private sector exec in Victoria in a similar company is making much more than that.

#94 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

The cynical side of me says that Atwell had a guy in mind to replace Murray from day one of his campaign and is just carrying through on that plan.

LOL VHF, when have municipal taxes ever gone down?

#95 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

I think you guys may have this all wrong...I think what Richard Atwell just pulled off was a piece of tactical art...

See it like this, Atwell beats Leonard but pretty much all the rest of the Council member wins were also Leonard campers. The municipal hall staff lead by Mr. Murray, hand selected by Leonard, are all pro-Leonard. Atwell knew that he wouldn't have the votes of Council to get rid of Mr. Murray so things are "leaked" to the media, causing a crap-storm. Atwell knew all along that if he could create a relationship between CAO and Mayor that was toxic, Council would have to distance themselves from the CAO or the CAO would leave on his own. Now, Atwell can start rebuilding the relationships with Councillors and pick a CAO that will work with him.

Well played Mr. Atwell

• Mike K. and Mr Cook Street like this

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

I think you guys may have this all wrong...I think what Richard Atwell just pulled off was a piece of tactical art...

See it like this, Atwell beats Leonard but pretty much all the rest of the Council member wins were also Leonard campers. The municipal hall staff lead by Mr. Murray, hand selected by Leonard, are all pro-Leonard. Atwell knew that he wouldn't have the votes of Council to get rid of Mr. Murray so things are "leaked" to the media, causing a crap-storm. Atwell knew all along that if he could create a relationship between CAO and Mayor that was toxic, Council would have to distance themselves from the CAO or the CAO would leave on his own. Now, Atwell can start rebuilding the relationships with Councillors and pick a CAO that will work with him.

Well played Mr. Atwell

The problem with that argument is that Atwell doesn't pick the CAO. If the councillors are all pro-Leonard as you suggest then they most certainly will pick a new Leonardesque CAO. Taxpayers are out $500K and Atwell is back to square one.

Edited by spanky123, 17 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

• Mixed365 and johnk like this

#97 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

The problem with that argument is that Atwell doesn't pick the CAO. If the councillors are all pro-Leonard as you suggest then they most certainly will pick a new Leonardesque CAO. Taxpayers are out $500K and Atwell is back to square one.

You are right but its more effective then being isolated from day 1. From here, he has a place to work from. The CAO controls staff and if the Mayor and CAO don't get along, its a rocky road...

Things work in a give and take manner, in-camera, he may well have asked, "give me a CAO I want and I'll give you XYZ". The pro-Leonard camp knowing they can't outright vote out Murray may have agreed to "let him go" pending a crap-storm.

Edited by Urbanistco, 17 December 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

The cynical side of me says that Atwell had a guy in mind to replace Murray from day one of his campaign and is just carrying through on that plan.

LOL VHF, when have municipal taxes ever gone down?

That's why I said temper the tax increase.  

Look, does anyone think the CAO in Langford is not the guy that Stew wants to be there?

#99 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

That's why I said temper the tax increase.  

Look, does anyone think the CAO in Langford is not the guy that Stew wants to be there?

Don't know what Stew wants but Stew didn't hire him!

There is obviously some history between Murray and Atwell that I am sure we will hear about in the future.

Edited by spanky123, 17 December 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

You are right but its more effective then being isolated from day 1. From here, he has a place to work from. The CAO controls staff and if the Mayor and CAO don't get along, its a rocky road...

Things work in a give and take manner, in-camera, he may well have asked, "give me a CAO I want and I'll give you XYZ". The pro-Leonard camp knowing they can't outright vote out Murray may have agreed to "let him go" pending a crap-storm.

I doubt it played out that way. Council likely had a letter from Murray's lawyer which gave them the choice of $500K or considerably more if they decided to make things more difficult then they had to be. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users