Photo

District of Saanich - Mayor and council general discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1208 replies to this topic

#1081 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

^I think I said this last election but I get a kick out of these Saanich/Victoria candidates and their whole plan is to get Provincial/Federal funding for local projects. As if nobody ever thought of that before.

• rjag, spanky123, Bernard and 3 others like this

#1082 TaxedOut

TaxedOut
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

I want to like Haynes, but I don't trust something about him...plus his whole platform is to get federal and provincial funding for a bunch of goodies.

In my personal experience of Haynes I have found him long winded, glib, self important, and self righteous. He tries to put on a Good Show but too often it rings hollow. His constant sniping at Atwell makes me doubt his ability to work collaboratively with anyone with whom he has policy differences: not a promising prospect for mayor.
  • NotHudsonMack, 57WestHills, johnsonst and 4 others like this

#1083 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

I saw it, too, and I question the motives of the people who called it out.  It looks nothing like a Saanich publication.  Saanich council candidate Art Pollard stated on Bernard's FB feed that "it crosses the line," but then absolutely refused to say how, other than because the Chief Electoral Officer said so.  Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Got a good laugh this morning from Art Pollard's website.

MY COMMITMENT
  • I promise to listen to all points of view and will strive to balance conflicting opinions while respecting all.

I can't keep up with the kids and their social media, but is this code for, "If you don't agree with me, I'll just block you?"  Promise broken, Art.  Like, literally the first promise on your page.

• Bernard and VIResident like this

#1084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

In my personal experience of Haynes I have found him long winded, glib, self important, and self righteous. He tries to put on a Good Show but too often it rings hollow. His constant sniping at Atwell makes me doubt his ability to work collaboratively with anyone with whom he has policy differences: not a promising prospect for mayor.

Welcome to VV, TO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1085 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

It is definitely a tough call. I don't disagree on Haynes but then Atwell is intent of fighting his spyware and "get rid of the staff" battles which isn't going to get us anywhere either.

#1086 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

It is definitely a tough call. I don't disagree on Haynes but then Atwell is intent of fighting his spyware and "get rid of the staff" battles which isn't going to get us anywhere either.

I think a second mandate gives a guy some strong assurance that voters like what he's doing ... and Atwell making sure some of these "old issues" are put away for good is something those who elected him a second time would support.

In short ... the worst thing that could happen to the person or persons who may have installed spyware on Atwells computer is for Atwell to get a second mandate.

If Atwell had the proof he needed, I'd not ever disagree with a few folks getting the boot from Saanich City Hall ... presumably folks who thought they'd try to illegally play spy games with a legally elected municipal official.

• johnsonst, nerka and VIResident like this

#1087 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

Break the Slate. The part I like is that these folks registered properly.

I know we have touched on this a little but this Chek news clip makes it somewhat clearer.

https://www.cheknews...h-slate-498096/

#1088 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

I'm voting for 3 out of 5 in the slate. Shrug. Vote based on the person, not the slate. I would have voted for these 3 if not on the slate too.

• rjag, NotHudsonMack and VIResident like this

#1089 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

I'm voting for 3 out of 5 in the slate. Shrug. Vote based on the person, not the slate. I would have voted for these 3 if not on the slate too.

Including the anti-vaxxer?

#1090 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

OK which one's the anti-vaxxer?

#1091 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

Jessop apparently.  He's certainly not come out to deny it.

#1092 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

Lifted this from Reddit:

...response from CFAX:

"We are in receipt of your email concerning comments made by Ian Jessop during his show, One-on-One with Ian Jessop which aired on C-FAX 1070 on September 26, 2014, regarding the unproved connection between medical vaccinations and autism.

By way of background, we would like to assert that One-on-One with Ian Jessop is an opinion-based talk show. During the show, Mr. Jessop discusses a variety of current events and solicits views on topics from members of his audience, as well as guests on the program. The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) has also recognized in numerous decisions that the host of a talk show is entitled to express his or her own personal opinion about a newsworthy matter.

In the aforementioned program, Mr. Jessop welcomed his guest Leslie Carol Botha to the show wherein the adverse effects of Gardasil were discussed and Ms. Botha and Mr. Jessop made their own personal claim to the unproven connection of autism to medical vaccinations.

While you may not agree with the comments made by Mr. Jessop and his guest, we believe that his comments were a legitimate expression of his own opinion, which he is wholly entitled to. We nevertheless understand that his opinions (as well as those expressed by Ms. Botha) on the alleged connection of autism to medical vaccinations may be contrary to those of some listeners.

We consider it our responsibility at C-FAX 1070 to present varying points of view, and during our talk show broadcasts we also solicit calls from our listeners so that they can express their opinions in an open forum. In this case, several listeners were afforded the opportunity to call into the show and offer their viewpoints on the segment.

We want to assure you that we take our responsibilities as a broadcaster very seriously and strive to ensure that all our programming complies with the standards expected of us as a member of the CBSC. Sincerely,

Kevin Bell"

#1093 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

Break the Slate. The part I like is that these folks registered properly.

I know we have touched on this a little but this Chek news clip makes it somewhat clearer.

https://www.cheknews...h-slate-498096/

Mary Griffin says "Leonard campaigned with a team of council candidates, but not a slate and not with the slate's benefits."

Uh, biased much? Leonard's "team" mailed together, advertised together, etc. Those are benefits. 

#1094 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

Including the anti-vaxxer?

Nope. Excluded him and Atwell.

#1095 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:22 PM

OK which one's the anti-vaxxer?

I just got my flu shot so what's the deal?

#1096 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

Tried voting at Commonwealth Pool where the line up was easily an hour long. So we jumped ship and decided to try the Municipal Hall instead where we just walked in and voted in less than 5 minutes. 

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1097 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

United for Saanich today got an endorsement from Aaron Gunn. AKA BC Proud.  

https://www.facebook...88566495368748/

For anyone not familiar with the 'Proud Boys' phenomenon, wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Proud_Boys

#1098 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

Mary Griffin says "Leonard campaigned with a team of council candidates, but not a slate and not with the slate's benefits."

Uh, biased much? Leonard's "team" mailed together, advertised together, etc. Those are benefits. 

Leonard didn't have a political party - there was no "Frank Leonard for Saanich". Each candidate had their own materials, which they did send out together but conveyed their independent platforms. Some other candidates have also shared mailing costs, etc. in the past. United for Saanich is a political party, with a leader. With only one platform. Saanich has never seen this before.

The very real benefits to a party now, include the ability to raise funds for the party as opposed to individual candidates. These are not available to 'teams'.

#1099 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

The biggest benefit of a formal slate is being identified as such on the ballot

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#1100 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

Tried voting at Commonwealth Pool where the line up was easily an hour long. So we jumped ship and decided to try the Municipal Hall instead where we just walked in and voted in less than 5 minutes. 

Yep apparently anyone can vote at their actual municipal hall, and avoid one of the listed polling stations for their area. But it's not an option that is very loudly advertised, and seldom is it used.  

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users