Photo

District of Saanich - Mayor and council general discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1208 replies to this topic

#1181 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

Might be tough time ahead for Saanich Police, bit otherwise probably a much needed change. I don't fancy Haynes but the incumbent has so, so much baggage.

Edited by 57WestHills, 20 October 2018 - 10:10 PM.

• lanforod and nagel like this

#1182 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

I am surprised at how strong the anti-Atwell mood was in the public.   People really wanted him gone as mayor

Saanich had a record for voters 

A fair amount of new registrations, especially younger ones.

This is the first time in Saanich history women have been the majority on the council

Rebecca Mersereau has the record for most votes of any candidate in a local government election in greater Victoria

#1183 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

The anti-Atwell sentiment may be easy to figure out ... I'd posit that he paid the price tonight for all the tomfoolery four years ago - some of which was of his own doing, and some of which was done to him.

I think folks generally felt he did an OK job as Mayor during his term, but they couldn't forgive him all the incredible nonsense that went down in the weeks following his win four years ago ... he simply couldn't wipe that stain off.

#1184 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:38 PM

Yeah I hope they get creative about fasttracking and rezoning some areas. The only risk is if they bring back some kind of EDPA nonsense that blocks development.

They need to do the EDPA, its critical to preserve the environmental character of Saanich. Is this council going to be able to lead it to where it needs to be, and works for everyone? Let's hope so! Density and growth can be delivered in lots of spots that aren't wild(er). Low rise, townhouses and duplexes along Quadra, Mackenzie and shelbourne. It's possible to have both.

#1185 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

The anti-Atwell sentiment may be easy to figure out ....

He got elected trashing Leonard's slate. And then ran on a slate.

#1186 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:45 PM

Might be tough time ahead for Saanich Police, bit otherwise probably a much needed change. I don't fancy Haynes but the incumbent has so, so much baggage.

Why would the police have a tough time?
  • sebberry likes this

#1187 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:54 PM

So the only real surprise in Saanich is De Vries, who I really don't like.

I think Ned Taylor was a surprise from the point of view of being an unknown and so young. I think the Saanich voters were ready to take some chances.

As far as Atwell goes he lacked charisma and the ability to get people to rally around him.

Atwell didn't win the last election...Leonard lost it.

#1188 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:42 AM

Well, now we have a Teenager as one of the people running Saanich.

I guess we'll be seeing some more comic book stores opening up in Saanich LOL.

Honestly, he was selected to run for council by those  whom I shall not name because of his young age and how he will be so easy to control and groom.

My bet is he will be Mayor of Saanich within 8 years, if the grooming process goes accordingly.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 21 October 2018 - 05:43 AM.

#1189 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:04 AM

Nice everyone I voted for got in (except Berry who I only voted for because when they were at Camosun he stood there playing a sax the whole time not handing out flyers or talking to anyone and I knew he wouldn't get in)

• Matt R. likes this

#1190 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

So the only real surprise in Saanich is De Vries, who I really don't like.

Why?

#1191 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

Rebecca Mersereau has the record for most votes of any candidate in a local government election in greater Victoria

Mersereau knocked on our door during the previous election campaign and I told her we were just about to sit down to dinner. We ended up talking to her for 20 minutes while our dinner got cold.

We were so impressed with this newcomer that we voted for her back then, and we voted for her again this time around. 

• Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#1192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

nobody blaming wickson for a "split" dooming atwell?  fred has less than 50%.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2018 - 08:54 AM.

• nerka likes this

#1193 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

Well, now we have a Teenager as one of the people running Saanich.

I guess we'll be seeing some more comic book stores opening up in Saanich LOL.

Honestly, he was selected to run for council by those  whom I shall not name because of his young age and how he will be so easy to control and groom.

My bet is he will be Mayor of Saanich within 8 years, if the grooming process goes accordingly.

Don't agree with you on this one. Ned attended every event and did a good job. He clearly did his research and was informed on the topics. My bet is that he was the 8th vote on a lot of ballots. People voted for who they wanted and then "threw the kid a bone" for his effort. If any group spent money getting him elected then they wasted it. I really doubt that his one vote will make any difference given who we have elected.

• Rob Randall and John M. like this

#1194 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Mersereau knocked on our door during the previous election campaign and I told her we were just about to sit down to dinner. We ended up talking to her for 20 minutes while our dinner got cold.

We were so impressed with this newcomer that we voted for her back then, and we voted for her again this time around. 

She was questionable in many minds because of her strong support last cycle for the EDPA and its reinstatement. She talk down that point this election and focused on affordable housing which likely was what got her elected.

#1195 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Don't agree with you on this one. Ned attended every event and did a good job. He clearly did his research and was informed on the topics. My bet is that he was the 8th vote on a lot of ballots. People voted for who they wanted and then "threw the kid a bone" for his effort. If any group spent money getting him elected then they wasted it. I really doubt that his one vote will make any difference given who we have elected.

Just wait until he is Mayor of Saanich in a term or two,, or uses this as a stepping stone for provincial or federal politics (that's my guess as to why he was selected to run) more for the provincial/federal politics. Because of his young age, his groomers will have his start simple and low in civic politics, before graduating him to the next level.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 21 October 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#1196 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

Just wait until he is Mayor of Saanich in a term or two,, or uses this as a stepping stone for provincial or federal politics (that's my guess as to why he was selected to run) more for the provincial/federal politics. Because of his young age, his groomers will have his start simple and low in civic politics, before graduating him to the next level.

Could very well be. The overwhelming likelihood, if the kid is actually talented, is that he will become so disillusioned by politics that after 4 years he will never want anything to do with it again!

• 57WestHills likes this

#1197 AnAndrew

AnAndrew
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

I saw Wickson as just a third option. Not necessarily taking votes that would otherwise have gone to someone else.

#1198 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

I wouldn't give the "split" very much traction in many of the local outcomes. For some incumbents it was their TIME to loose.

#1199 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

Why?

He's for affordable housing but against more condominiums in Saanich. That's a nonsensical position.

#1200 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

He's for affordable housing but against more condominiums in Saanich. That's a nonsensical position.

Makes perfect sense, he lives in Saanich!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users