Dubai

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Sure we do. Regina even has more direct flights than we do. Halifax totally blows us out of the water.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:02 AM

Regina and Halifax are in the middle of nowhere. We are conveniently located close to two of the biggest cities in North America.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

There's nothing convenient about getting to YVR or SEATAC. It's a 4 trip to either of them.

The point is YYJ is under serviced because the airlines don't really care to service this market how it should be serviced. Instead we put up with an additional connection, additional travel times and higher fares. But that's the Victoria spirit, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

I dunno, when I take the 15 minute flight to YVR or the 20 minute flight to SEA, it generally feels pretty convenient.

I think my last trip down south I got there in 6 1/2 hours flying out of YYJ.

Connections are a part of life when you don't live in a major hub like Seattle.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

YVR is about 30 minutes, SEA is 40-50, gate-to-gate. The connections are often spaced far apart and you're stuck sitting at either airport for hours in many cases. We're getting shafted but collectively we don't mind it. I honestly don't understand how people either don't care or don't mind the four hour trip to either airport to fly direct or the hours of wasted time sitting around in YVR or SEA.

We're arguably the worst served airport on the entire continent based on the immediate catchment of well over 400,000 people.

Know it all.

#26 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Mike, I hear what you're saying. It has to do with island time, for better or for worse.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

A massive blaze has engulfed the ‘Marina Torch’ skyscraper in Dubai, forcing thousands of people to flee the 336-meter-high tower – one of the tallest residential buildings in the world.

The fire started in the middle of the tower, rapidly spreading across some 15 floors, according to photos and videos from the scene.

http://rt.com/news/2...ial-tower-fire/

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

A massive blaze has engulfed the ‘Marina Torch’ skyscraper in Dubai,

Someone took the name of this building too literally.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

Must have a crappy sprinkler system.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

You think Victoria is undeserved imagine what the people of Seattle feel like. A city of 2 million and they are VERY undeserved.  If you look at flights out of Seattle to anywhere it's like some hick town.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

You think Victoria is undeserved...

Undeserved or under-served?

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

You think Victoria is undeserved imagine what the people of Seattle feel like. A city of 2 million and they are VERY undeserved. If you look at flights out of Seattle to anywhere it's like some hick town.

3.5 million :)

Know it all.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

The Torch residents moved to Dubai hotel as extent of fire damage is assessed.

http://www.thenation...age-is-assessed

&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-150229

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

There's nothing convenient about getting to YVR or SEATAC. It's a 4 trip to either of them.

The point is YYJ is under serviced because the airlines don't really care to service this market how it should be serviced. Instead we put up with an additional connection, additional travel times and higher fares. But that's the Victoria spirit, I guess.

My guess is that 95%+ of travelers out of Victoria are personal rather than business. I draw that conclusion from the fact that whenever the airlines call for gold and diamond club members at boarding, 2 people show up. Most personal travelers are looking for the cheapest flight and have some flexibility in schedules. They are getting exactly the service they are willing to pay for.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

I dunno,we have small planes and some don't even offer business class. Even in big cities the executive club flyers or whoever they are number half a dozen. I wouldn't use that metric to make any conclusions.

Know it all.

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Keep an eye out for the fuzz while in Dubai.

https://www.youtube....fs=1&autoplay=1

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

Emirates has launched the world's longest non-stop flight, with its new service between its home base of Dubai to Panama City expected to take 17 hours and 35 minutes.
The flight, which will kick off in February 2016, will be on a Boeing 777 200LR – the world's longest-range jetliner - in a three-class layout; eight seats in first class, 42 in business, and 216 in economy.

Currently, the longest flights available connect Dallas to Sydney (almost 17 hours), Johannesburg to Atlanta (16 hours 40 minutes), and Dubai to Los Angeles (16 hours 35 minutes), according to the AFP.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/13/

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

I think I'd be trying to claw my way out by the 10 hour mark...  17 hrs?  Yikes. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, that is too long a flight for me. I would rather break it up with a stop somewhere, so you could get off the aircraft and walk around a bit.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, that is too long a flight for me. I would rather break it up with a stop somewhere, so you could get off the aircraft and walk around a bit.

Benghazi is on the flightpath.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.