• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

Sometimes you might feel like you're in The Shining...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M9HWST_HMg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

One of our business colleagues was a "human funneling" expert for IKEA. He was responsible for making you wind your way through their layouts and see as much stuff as possible and in a way that would make you want to buy as much as possible.

He's now a map maker focused primarily on tourism maps of Chinese cities. Fascinating, fascinating stuff he makes and it all originated with the IKEA concept.

Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

When I was in design school, we studied Ikea's layout as an exercise in how design can make people act & react in certain ways.

• Mike K. likes this

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

When I was in design school, we studied Ikea's layout as an exercise in how design can make people act & react in certain ways.

Yeah, like what happens when the fire alarm goes off.

#24 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

Pickup point sounds perfect! Shop online in comfort pickup when convenient. I hate the ikea experience but some of their products are great. They are cheap but well designed to be cheap. A compressed paper end table for 10 bucks is not meant to be an heirloom. Their furniture is temporary but other products are just fine quality wise.

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Ikea to open string of smaller stores across Canada

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

The TC reported today a pick-up centre in Victoria is out of the question, but IKEA itself has stated on at least one occasion to "hold tight," or something to that effect. Weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

If Victoria or SOMEwhere on the Island didn't get atleast the much-talked about pickup-locations, then IKEA is completely out to lunch. We had a freakin' regular bus that went specifically to IKEA Richmond for goodness sake. 

• gumgum likes this

#28 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

let the rumours begin.... again
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tores-1.3308233
  • Ben likes this

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

Half the population of the country lives in that sliver between Windsor and Montreal. I bet most will go there, maybe one in the maritimes and one or two more in the prairies. We're a lost cause.

Edited by gumgum, 06 November 2015 - 04:58 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

Add2cart will bring you Ikea.

http://www.add2cart.ca/about/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

Half the population of the country lives in that sliver between Windsor and Montreal. I bet most will go there, maybe one in the maritimes and one or two more in the prairies. We're a lost cause.

Agree; I am still somewhat surprised that some people locally continue to get amped up every time this subject of expansion comes up. IKEA has fairly consistently said that the benchmark (target) market for them is a CMA of ~ one million people. Of the 12 current IKEA locations in Canada the only exception to that is Winnipeg which with 750,000 people is still more than twice the size of the CRD. 

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

It would likely be in Nanaimo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

That actually makes the most sense.  But like ASE says, our demographics don't really support their current policies.  Why they maintain those policies, I have no idea, I'd be expanding like a mad man.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:39 AM

^ I think it's because IKEA considers their outlets part store, part amusement park and they are dependent on the excitement caused by big crowds. An empty store with employees standing around would ruin the famed IKEA "experience" and they want to avoid that by ensuring that stores are surrounded by huge populations of eager shoppers. That matters more than money.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

Well, there is no shortage of money the way they run it.

The net profit of IKEA Group (which does not include Inter IKEA systems) in fiscal year 2009 (after paying franchise fees to Inter IKEA systems) was €2.538 billion on sales of €21.846 billion. Because INGKA Holding is owned by the nonprofit INGKA Foundation, none of this profit is taxed. The foundation's nonprofit status also means that the Kamprad family cannot reap these profits directly, but the Kamprads do collect a portion of IKEA sales profits through the franchising relationship between INGKA Holding and Inter IKEA Systems.

https://en.wikipedia...orate_structure

#36 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Keep 'em in the store is Job 1.

#37 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

What I think, too. The Island is growing with newcomers and younger people are making their lives and families here, not leaving the way they once did.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

The island as a whole has a population of 800k I would think Duncan would be a better location but could see it in Langford too. There was a time that Nanaimo got stores first due to location but I think that ended about a decade ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

Ikea will be coming to the island in my opinion.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#40 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

Would anyone north or west of nanaimo really make the drive all the way down to Victoria for Ikea? Through the Malahat and all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users