Photo

What is that big rumbling noise we hear in east Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Ummm pretty sure we sell our natural resources at a pretty penny. We don't "give" them away. What are you talking about Mike?

#42 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

The entire west is, largely, under the protection of the United States. From Lichtenstein to Brandon, Manitoba, we are all under the US umbrella.

Canada has literally handed over access to its natural resources to US interests. We've given a lot to get "protection" from the US, protection that the US would extend to just about any nation that is willing to give them the resources that they want.

@Bingo, we're talking about new changes. We're not talking about something that has been going on for 70 years.

I would agree with you to a degree; to extend your example into the realm of national defence I read a fascinating British-backed study in the 1990's that was essentially a comparative analysis, essentially like a "Jane's Fighting Ships" review expanded beyond the purely naval analysis to encompass the broader military capabilities (Navy, army, air force) all of the major world powers including Canada.

I will always remember their summary analysis of this country which included (I'm very closely paraphrasing here) "....that Canada, almost uniquely in the history of the modern nation-state has completely, or in very large part......" ceded much if not all of its national sovereignty and military responsibilities - IOW our ability to capably defend our own territory - in favor of passing along that capability (read "obligation") to the United States. Not exactly something to be terribly proud of - IOW this is kind of icky stuff we don't want to be concerned with, so you guys do it and we'll worry about any consequences later including control of certain segments of our economy.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 January 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

Ummm pretty sure we sell our natural resources at a pretty penny. We don't "give" them away. What are you talking about Mike?

For crying out loud, I don't care to get into a NAFTA debate with you.

The Americans altered an air base and operations at this air base are causing disruptions for Canadian residents. If our government truly is too meek to look into this matter then so be it, but let's not pretend we owe the Americans anything because their military benefits Canada, one of countless nations around the world that are also direct beneficiaries.
  • http likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

@Bingo, we're talking about new changes. We're not talking about something that has been going on for 70 years.

Yes there are inevitable changes, just like the Growlers that will replace the Prowlers at the air base.

We in Victoria are not about to influence the US Navy's plans keep to Growlers at Whidbey Island, so we might need to see if the US Navy

will provide nearby Canadians with noise cancelling headphones.   :)

http://en.wikipedia...._EA-18G_Growler

http://en.wikipedia....ling_headphones

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I would agree with you to a degree; to extend your example into the realm of national defence I read a fascinating British-backed study in the 1990's that was essentially a comparative analysis, essentially like a "Jane's Fighting Ships" review expanded beyond the purely naval analysis to encompass the broader military capabilities (Navy, army, air force) all of the major world powers including Canada.

I will always remember their summary analysis of this country which included (I'm very closely paraphrasing here) "....that Canada, almost uniquely in the history of the modern nation-state has completely, or in very large part......" ceded much if not all of its national sovereignty and military responsibilities - IOW our ability to capably defend our own territory - in favor of passing along that capability (read "obligation") to the United States. Not exactly something to be terribly proud of - IOW this is kind of icky stuff we don't want to be concerned with, so you guys do it and we'll worry about any consequences later including control of certain segments of our economy.

Exactly. And that's fine by me, but this goes to show that we're not at the mercy of the US military for nothing, mooching off their generosity. We've given up a lot to ensure American interests come along with America's military presence when/if we need it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 923 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

San Juan County developed an app for residents to track the noise issues they are encountering. A representative was talking to CBC Victoria on the radio yesterday and said they were hoping to hear from those of us on the other side of the 49th. He is hoping to be able to work with the US Navy to see if they can alleviate some of the worst noise issues. Sounds like the Navy has been good about community engagement in previous situations.

A brief search did not turn up this app. But it should be somewhere on their site.

#47 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Data point: audible in Rockland.  At first, I thought "new construction site?" but I eventually I realized there were no blasting signals. They sound much like the 2001 earthquake, but for about 15 seconds instead of a minute. Nervewracking.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Feeling "protected" yet, http?

Know it all.

#49 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

I do admit to getting a bit of kick out of this whole issue; I presume most people 'complaining' or 'concerned' are of a certain age too young to remember the depths of the cold war.

I know there are at least a few posters on VV who recall that time and when the RCAF didn't base its fighters a bazillion kilometers from the west coast but right in little old Comox. Locals age 50 and over should certainly remember when these guys (F-101 Voodoo's) sortied off *our* island, full throttle on "burner" so loud it sounded like the very atmosphere itself was being shredded and - BTW like NAS also essentially a daily occurrence -  probably annoying US citizens in the process:

Attached Images

• Voodoo.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 January 2015 - 01:52 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

I do admit to getting a bit of kick out of this whole issue; I presume most people 'complaining' or 'concerned' are of a certain age too young to remember the depths of the cold war.

I know there are at least a few posters on VV who recall that time and when the RCAF didn't base its fighters a bazillion kilometers from the west coast but right in little old Comox. Locals age 50 and over should certainly remember when these guys (F-101 Voodoo's) sortied off *our* island, full throttle on "burner" so loud it sounded like the very atmosphere itself was being shredded and - BTW like NAS also essentially a daily occurrence -  probably annoying US citizens in the process:

The US Navy is replacing the Prowler with the Growler, and is already designing the next generation fighter...the Grumbler.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Currently the wind at Smith Island is at 9 knots from the east.

Smith Island is about 6 miles west of the Whidbey Island airbase.

The prevailing wind in Victoria is from the west so I don't think the aircraft noise will be heard once the wind direction returns to the west.

Next time you hear the rumbling,  try checking the wind direction at Smith Island to see if my hunch is correct.

here: http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=sisw1

#52 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Feeling "protected" yet, http?

Nope.

I can only imagine how stressful it must be for veterans.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

http, on 14 Jan 2015 - 7:34 PM, said:

Nope.

I can only imagine how stressful it must be for veterans.

Stressful? For any veteran that sound is the sound of rescue and hope. Think the Kurds in Kabani don't just love that sound, and the loud bangs that follow.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

I was at Mt. Washington years ago and the CF18's would come up over the back of the mountain at maybe 200' agl doing just sub-sonic runs. That was exciting, and fun. Heck look at all the people that go to airshows.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Key word being "go" to airshows.

Know it all.

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

The last time she was in Victoria...

The aircraft carrier and its 2,200 crew is visiting Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt before heading north to Nanoose Bay, site of the Canadian Forces Maritime Experimental and Test Ranges, for trials and testing. Nimitz arrived Friday and leaves Monday. Nimitz, which is 1,092 feet long and can carry 90 helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, will be moored off Royal Roads University, near the mouth of Esquimalt Harbour. Its crew will be reaching out to the homeless in Victoria by serving lunch at Our Place shelter in Victoria on Saturday. Members of the Royal Canadian Navy will compete against their American counterparts in sporting events at CFB Esquimalt’s athletic fields on Colville Road on Saturday at 2 p.m. Nimitz has visited Victoria before, in October 2007. Other U.S. aircraft carriers have stopped by Victoria every few years. The U.S. is Canada’s most important ally and defence partner, said a statement from the Department of National Defence. “The closeness of the Canada-U.S. defence partnership provides both countries with greater security than could be achieved individually,” said the statement.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.TIZwZqRf.dpuf

800px-USS_Nimitz_in_Victoria_Canada_036.

#57 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Now they are hearing the rumbling in Oak Bay, so I take it the deer cull has begun.

http://www.cfax1070....k-Bay-Rumblings

#58 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Huge surprise...more complaining and griping by Victorians re: the Whidbey Island NAS. Seriously is there any topic under the sun that doesn't generate a 'stitch and *****' controversy in Dysfunction by the Sea? -

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-area-1.3860879

• Nparker likes this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Add me to the list of gripers. Sound travels over water, and those engines are loud. If my place rumbles miles from the eastern seashore, I can't imagine what it must be like closer to the water.

• Jill likes this

Know it all.

#60 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

People move to the San Juan Islands for the peace and quiet and don't expect to deal with noise from air traffic, said Rick Hughes, a councillor in San Juan County.

If that's the case, they aren't doing their research into the region properly before making their move.  That's like moving near the airport in Sidney, or James Bay across from the Helijet, or a condo along Songhees and then creating a stink because you are upset about the noise from the planes and helicopters.  Can't handle the rumble? It's quite simple, really: Move.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.