Photo

What is that big rumbling noise we hear in east Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Never heard it once, ever. And I lived in Fairfield for 5 years within blocks of the water on the top floor of my building. Of course if this country grabbed some cajones and spent more than $1.49 per year on defence the US might not feel like it has to carry the ball for all of North America (which it most assuredly does for surveillance, reconnaissance and above all any sort of meaningful naval operations including coverage for great swaths of this country, above all on the west coast...)

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,835 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

I hear it clearly out by Mt. Douglas. It's unmistakable. Capable of drowning out the sound of the TV. But it's only about 2/10 on the annoyance scale.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#63 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:16 AM

I hear it clearly out by Mt. Douglas. It's unmistakable. Capable of drowning out the sound of the TV. But it's only about 2/10 on the annoyance scale.

One wonders what some of these people would do if they lived in some place like Saskatchewan or Nebraska or the Florida panhandle where truly awe-inspiring, ground shaking thunderstorms are as common as rain here......ooooh, big scary noise!! Good grief talk about a first world problem.

Speaking of Saskatchewan the RCAF has a major training base at CFB Moose Jaw located exactly 4 miles south of the city - which is only too happy to have it as it a major source of employment. Residents I strongly suspect also really appreciate the tough job those Armed Forces people perform on behalf of all Canadians and accept whatever minor inconveniences may go along with that fact. In 2013 I watched an electronic war game exercise with RCAF and other NATO jet trainers screaming along within a couple of hundred meters of the ground, over farm/houses and spanning the TCH highway at several points, at over 500kph and nary a complaint was heard in person or in the local media. Perhaps those prairie folk are indeed made of sterner stuff than us sensitive west coasters after all....

And to Dietrich's point above that base has been there for going on 80 years. Don't like icky military jets doing a job this country is only too happy to foist largely onto American taxpayers? Well I understand Blue River or Cache Creek or Salmon Arm need residents too....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 22 November 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#64 todd

todd
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

If that's the case, they aren't doing their research into the region properly before making their move.  That's like moving near the airport in Sidney, or James Bay across from the Helijet, or a condo along Songhees and then creating a stink because you are upset about the noise from the planes and helicopters.  Can't handle the rumble? It's quite simple, really: Move.

The rumble only started about 5 years ago.

• http and Jill like this

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,305 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

A little known gem: 

#66 todd

todd
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Huge surprise...more complaining and griping by Victorians re: the Whidbey Island NAS. Seriously is there any topic under the sun that doesn't generate a 'stitch and *****' controversy in Dysfunction by the Sea? -

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-area-1.3860879

Huge surprise!...  http://www.inquisitr...-hunters-claim/

• AllseeingEye likes this

#67 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,024 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

If that's the case, they aren't doing their research into the region properly before making their move.  That's like moving near the airport in Sidney, or James Bay across from the Helijet, or a condo along Songhees and then creating a stink because you are upset about the noise from the planes and helicopters.  Can't handle the rumble? It's quite simple, really: Move.

It's not like that at all.  Try telling that to the folks that moved in next to the courthouse a year ago and see low long you are not yelled at for.

The US Navy decided to switch around which runways were used in which directions after decades of established practice.

I moved to Rockland about five years ago, and the noise started affecting me about two years ago. At first, I found myself agitated, on edge, grinding my teeth, and not knowing why because the subsonic shaking is only sometimes accompanied by audible indicators. I can mostly cope now, but the fact that I have to is ugly.  I cannot imagine how awful it might be for someone with an actual ocean view.

I repeat, it's not like that at all.  The US Navy made the change recently, long after I moved. No amount of diligent research would have predicted this.

• Nparker, Jill and todd like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#68 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

The distance we live from the source might not have as much to do with it as we think.

When Mt. St Helens blew up we heard it here in Victoria but in some areas closer to the mountain it wasn't heard.

I think the answer can be found in information like the following.

https://en.wikipedia...ransverse_waves

Meanwhile, I don't think it is enough incentive to move to Whidbey Island to confirm that.

• http likes this

#69 LJ

LJ
  • 8,987 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Mike K., on 22 Nov 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

Add me to the list of gripers. Sound travels over water, and those engines are loud. If my place rumbles miles from the eastern seashore, I can't imagine what it must be like closer to the water.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't like it if a flight of F16's or F35"s fly over your house at 3000' or below. I just pause the TV for 30 seconds or so and then carry on.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#70 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

FIGHTER JET NOISE FROM NEARBY AMERICAN NAVEL STATION COULD GET WORSE  :whyme:

http://www.iheartrad...worse-1.2222728

#71 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:38 PM

Already discussed above Susan.....

• SusanJones likes this

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Already discussed above Susan.....

Many times.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#73 todd

todd
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

FIGHTER JET NOISE FROM NEARBY AMERICAN NAVEL STATION COULD GET WORSE  :whyme:

“Right now they do annually about 88,000 trips and they are going to take that too about 133,000 so there is going to be quite an increase in the noise.”

• SusanJones likes this

#74 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:41 AM

Navel - to do with one's belly button;

Naval - to do with ships and the ocean.

And:

8209611.jpg?634

Edited by North Shore, 23 November 2016 - 02:45 AM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

I've seen those jets flying over Oak Bay all the time, after dropping practice bombs at the Trial Island testing range.   :thumbsup:

The mayor of Oak Bay says residents upset with the noise coming from fighter jets taking off and landing from a nearby American Naval station can have their say online.

Nils Jensen says he's heard the complaints and has heard the noise himself coming from the EA-18G Growler Jets taking flight from Whidbey Island in Washington State.

“I’m going to go online like I did last time and ask that they can route the airplanes so they don’t come over Oak Bay,” said Jensen, speaking on C-FAX.

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#76 nerka

nerka
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

I've seen those jets flying over Oak Bay all the time, after dropping practice bombs at the Trial Island testing range.   :thumbsup:

Could they come in low with some precision munitions for a deer cull?

• lanforod and todd like this

#77 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

I immediately discount any individual or media source that clearly can't be bothered to do basic research preparatory to making statements or offering up commentary like that article - the author of that piece doesn't know what (s)he is talking about: the Growler may be based on an F-I8 Hornet air-frame but it is not a *fighter* aircraft. In fact its forward mounted cannon has been removed altogether and additional hard points for munitions added, in addition to a plethora of various types of radars. The plane is intended to operate from USN aircraft carriers as a forward-projected electronic signals acquisition, analysis and jamming platform. The F-16, the F-22 and F-35 are, collectively, classed as "fighter" aircraft. The Growler is not....

#78 todd

todd
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

I rarely see the rumbling jets over Oak Bay only hear, the only time I can actually remember witnessing and not just hearing military jets(possibly USA or CAN) overhead was in the weeks after September 11th, 2001.

Edited by todd, 23 November 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#79 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

I rarely see the rumbling jets over Oak Bay, only hear, the only time I can actually remember witnessing and not just hearing military jets overhead was in the weeks after September 11th, 2001.

As noted Todd the Growlers are carrier-based assets; the reason for the large number (and growing) takeoff and landings at Ault Field is due to the fact they are essentially simulating those (carrier) takeoff-landing scenarios day and night as carrier operations as you would expect are a 7x24 proposition.

Locally during the Cold War up to the fall of the Soviet Union it was quite common to both hear and see our own fighters patrolling west coast airspace, including over Greater Victoria, when we had the F-101 VooDoo fighters based at Comox. I can remember as a child when the F-101's would crack off their afterburners - it sounded like God bowling.....

#80 todd

todd
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Does the Oak Bay Emergency Program not have a functioning aircraft radar system so we can get some accurate numbers of USA jets entering OB airspace?

Edit: guess they probably have radar deflection

Edited by todd, 23 November 2016 - 01:54 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users