Photo

What is that big rumbling noise we hear in east Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#101 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,057 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

I am old enough to remember when our Esquimalt based navy used to do anti-aircraft practice just a few miles off the Victoria waterfront.

The target was towed behind a DC3 that took off from Pat Bay, and the route to the waterfront went right over our house.

The Korean War was in progress and the ships were sharpening their skills before being deployed.

Besides the distant rumbling, I felt a sense of pride in knowing that we had those ships nearby.

Sad fact is our 1950's-era forces probably could beat the crap out of the 21st century CAF so poorly prepared and equipped are we are today.

I was watching a clip of an anti-submarine maritime exercise a friend sent to me taken in 2014. Imagine our own plane and 8-10 person crew flying over our own territory (Nanoose testing range) with the cost of fuel and crew factored in, which had to abort the first time due to 'weather' - meaning the plane wasn't deemed sufficiently technically capable or airworthy to withstand what was nothing more than a garden-variety west coast rain storm; and then aborted a second time due to the fact its 35-year old computer s*** the bed and crashed and they were unable to bring it back up to aid in carrying out the mission: with the exception of the pilot all of the crew was younger than the computer, which looked like some vintage 1970's-era kludge to me.

No wonder we leave the heavy lifting to the US for surveillance and recon - with the current sad state of the CAF and the RCN especially, we can barely conduct basic naval operations over our own inland waters, never mind the north Pacific or Atlantic Oceans or beyond.

Essentially we are members of NATO and NORAD in name only. Militarily, due exclusively above all to lack of political will and material support, we fail and we generally fail badly.

#102 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,432 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

Never said that at all Rob...not even close. Re-read it again.

I did infer - correctly - that the average Canadian politician and media plonk wouldn't know a strategic weapon system or concept if it fell out of the sky and hit them on the head - or an aircraft carrier if they tripped over it. Very true: and that latter analogy by the way was provided to me by an ex-federal Liberal political strategist some years ago. My favorite example came as always from FB and local media outlet talking about the Whidbey Island situation this week while displaying a picture of what was obviously an F-16 Fighting Falcon! That's like saying my Ford Explorer is a Bugatti Veyron. Well they both have 4 wheels. But beyond that the comparison isn't particularly relevant. If you're going to complain at least have some basic understanding about what it is you're upset about...

And fret and complain away by all means, its a democratic right: the USN is being more than accommodating IMO in terms of taking online feedback and even inviting locals to attend meetings in WA state to provide feedback. Do we extend the same courtesy for those Americans upset with our practice of dumping s*** into our joint waterways? I don't know for sure but somehow I doubt it. And if you read the information on the Whidbey Island NAS site they are in fact looking at installing chevrons and other noise mitigation measures on the planes. They've made that very plain. And again like virtually all things North American defence-related that cost too will be borne by the US and certainly not the Canadian taxpayer....

And finally one has to wonder whether - oh let me see - if the Chinese or Russians would be nearly so accommodating if it was their base and aircraft? Again "somehow" I rather doubt that too. 

First off, you were the one that said us Islanders were war-fearing whiners compared to brave prairie folk. 

Second, I appreciate the efforts the Navy is (supposedly) making to alleviate the noise, like the chevrons but it must be pointed out that it is solely because of us making a big stink about it.

And yes, the media screws up calling them fighter jets, as they technically aren't fighter jets, even though the Growler is practically a mirror image of the F-18 fighter jet and only an expert could tell them apart. The problem is if you refer to them correctly as signal intercept/radar platforms people tend to think of the massive airliner-style planes with the big radar dome.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#103 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

Sad fact is our 1950's-era forces probably could beat the crap out of the 21st century CAF so poorly prepared and equipped are we are today.

I was watching a clip of an anti-submarine maritime exercise a friend sent to me taken in 2014. Imagine our own plane and 8-10 person crew flying over our own territory (Nanoose testing range) with the cost of fuel and crew factored in, which had to abort the first time due to 'weather' - meaning the plane wasn't deemed sufficiently technically capable or airworthy to withstand what was nothing more than a garden-variety west coast rain storm; and then aborted a second time due to the fact its 35-year old computer s*** the bed and crashed and they were unable to bring it back up to aid in carrying out the mission: with the exception of the pilot all of the crew was younger than the computer, which looked like some vintage 1970's-era kludge to me.

No wonder we leave the heavy lifting to the US for surveillance and recon - with the current sad state of the CAF and the RCN especially, we can barely conduct basic naval operations over our own inland waters, never mind the north Pacific or Atlantic Oceans or beyond.

Essentially we are members of NATO and NORAD in name only. Militarily, due exclusively above all to lack of political will and material support, we fail and we generally fail badly.

The United States likes it that way they would prefer to control the military might around here.

#104 LJ

LJ
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

Maybe if enough Oak Bayiens complain the US Navy will move an aircraft carrier up into Haro Strait and practice some takeoff and landings for a couple of days. Whidby would seem whisper quiet after that.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#105 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

download (33).png

download (34).png

All quiet today so far.

#106 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,057 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

Maybe if enough Oak Bayiens complain the US Navy will move an aircraft carrier up into Haro Strait and practice some takeoff and landings for a couple of days. Whidby would seem whisper quiet after that.

Happened to be working in Pensacola FLA for the US parent of the firm I was working for at the time, just prior to "Iraq II"; Pensacola also happens to be the home turf of the USAF Blue Angels and Pensacola Bay is a major USN proving ground and naval unit training area. For the entire week I was there it was carrier takeoff and landings 7x24, non-stop. Imagine the continuous roar of an apparently endless thunderstorm right outside your window. Whidbey Island indeed is/was nothing by comparison....

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

^I was in the Philippines during the Vietnam war when they lined up a hundred or so B52's fully loaded, it was quite a sight and sound watching them takeoff 1000' apart in a continuous stream. Makes the takeoff scene from Catch 22 seem like child's play. 

• AllseeingEye and Sparky like this

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:56 AM

We should not look at the Whidbey Island aircraft in isolation, because when they are deployed they will likely be aboard carriers such as the USS Nimitz.

However when the carriers are in their home port the planes are flown to the naval air base where they continue to practice night landings.

When the Nimitz visits Victoria and deploys some of it's massive crew into the downtown shopping district it is a plus for the city.

However, the ships aircraft could be busy back at Whidbey practicing.

Victorians need to look at the bigger picture and weigh the boost to the local economy versus the boosters on the noisy Growlers. 

https://en.wikipedia...ircraft_carrier

http://www.timescolo...s-say-1.1128127

USS Nimitz

b1-0613-boat-jpg.jpg

Photograph By U.S. Navy

• AllseeingEye likes this

#109 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

Haven't heard anything in about a week.

Edited by todd, 29 November 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#110 LJ

LJ
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

We should not look at the Whidbey Island aircraft in isolation, because when they are deployed they will likely be aboard carriers such as the USS Nimitz.

However when the carriers are in their home port the planes are flown to the naval air base where they continue to practice night landings.

When the Nimitz visits Victoria and deploys some of it's massive crew into the downtown shopping district it is a plus for the city.

However, the ships aircraft could be busy back at Whidbey practicing.

Victorians need to look at the bigger picture and weigh the boost to the local economy versus the boosters on the noisy Growlers. 

https://en.wikipedia...ircraft_carrier

http://www.timescolo...s-say-1.1128127

USS Nimitz

b1-0613-boat-jpg.jpg

Photograph By U.S. Navy

The Nimitz can't visit Victoria, it's nuclear powered, Issit and Helps would never allow that.

#111 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,609 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

This thread just brought back memories of the Crofton odor wars.

http://thetyee.ca/Ne...CroftonConcert/

#112 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,258 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

The Nimitz can't visit Victoria, it's nuclear powered, Issit and Helps would never allow that.

That's ok, I'm sure Esquimalt would be happy to host them.
  • Mike K. likes this

#113 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Haven't heard anything in about a week.

Still nothing  :unsure:

#114 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Back this morning for the first time in a long time  :unsure:.

Trudeau, Trump meeting must not be going well.

Edited by todd, 13 February 2017 - 10:37 AM.

• AllseeingEye and On the Level like this

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

It was so intense! I was in Beacon Hill Park and the ground was shaking. I've never heard it that loud.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

It was so intense! I was in Beacon Hill Park and the ground was shaking. I've never heard it that loud.

A duck stampede was the likely source.

• GaryRanson likes this

#117 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

A duck stampede was the likely source.

Canadian Air Force has deployed their reserve fighters? Going to make a mess of that airfield.

Edited by todd, 14 February 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#118 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

Maybe looking for Russian spy ships? http://nypost.com/20...d-off-us-coast/

#119 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

Weekly blasts from Sequim, WA.  We feel them in Sooke almost every Thursday. This is likely your culprit and probably only felt during the right conditions in East Victoria.

https://sooke.pocket...-pae-explained/

• todd likes this
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#120 todd

todd
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Weekly blasts from Sequim, WA.  We feel them in Sooke almost every Thursday. This is likely your culprit and probably only felt during the right conditions in East Victoria.

https://sooke.pocket...-pae-explained/

And/or http://www.timescolo...-away-1.3185591 and/or http://www.inquisitr...-hunters-claim/

Edited by todd, 14 February 2017 - 03:30 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users