Photo

What is that big rumbling noise we hear in east Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Yes, it could very well be the Growlers too, however my impression is they are much more often and people are quite accustomed to them. When we stayed on SJI last summer and hung out at South Beach it was every few minutes you'd hear them, and you can pretty well see Victoria from the beach.

As for the UFO, that was a given. I'm surprised you shared that confident document. :P

Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#122 johnk

johnk
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

Trump brainfarts spilling over the mountains?

#123 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,779 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Folks need to remember exactly what purpose the Growlers serve and how their training is designed and planned; they train specifically for carrier take off and landings hence - as with any carrier-borne aircraft simulating a realistic real life scenario - they firewall their engines and have them at full thrust, all 40,000++ lbf's of them, even on landing to simulate exact on board, at sea landing conditions, including those instances where the aircraft misses the first or even the second arresting gear-cable.

In which case as with an actual "miss" at sea the pilot stays at full throttle during the entire (landing) process so they can take off immediately if need be, come about and attempt the landing again. 

#124 todd

todd
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

Trump brainfarts spilling over the mountains?

Now Mr. Trump was very hospitable to our Trudeau and they've been pretty good about the Jets lately.. it seems.

#125 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

I've been hearing that rumbling noise again lately. I'm thinking all the paper shredders running at the Leg.

#126 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Before it was the rumblings it was the volcaneos. Don't listen for the rumblings and you won't hear them.

#127 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

It's fighter jets at Whidbey Island.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#128 rjag

rjag
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Lots of folks heard a really low flying jet tonight around 6:10. We are up by UVic and it sounded military and very very low. Lasted about 5-7 seconds

#129 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Lots of folks heard a really low flying jet tonight around 6:10. We are up by UVic and it sounded military and very very low. Lasted about 5-7 seconds

It was heading north. Didn't hear a crash.

#130 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

Years ago; I was close protection for a Forward Air Controller team during a long exercise in Shilo. When the CF18s would 'notionally' complete their bomb run (shine a fancy light on the target), they'd go full afterburner to get back up to altitude, man that was loud.
  • rjag and todd like this

#131 todd

todd
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

OBPD

With respect to the very loud noise that was heard last night in Oak Bay (that apparently sounded like a low flying, loud aircraft), we have no information on that and would suggest that you to contact USAF, DND or YYJ

https://www.oakbay.c...-nov-13-19-2017

Have taken the potassium iodide donning the tinfoil hat.

#132 rjag

rjag
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

CF18 landing at YYJ is the apparent answer. He made a rapid descent from 5,000ft and guess he put on the reverse thrusters....it was loud!!!

#133 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,779 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

I believe we had or have a squadron or two of F-18's in the US currently slated for upgrades; possibly it was one of them returning to the nest; or not. Either way interesting he would be landing at YYJ since the nearest RCAF (fighter) base is Cold Lake. Wonder if it was an emergency of some type?

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

News says it was scheduled and it was coming from Idaho.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#135 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,779 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

News says it was scheduled and it was coming from Idaho.

Yup...probably either a training and/or NORAD flight. No big deal either way. Some of the moaning on local FB groups is amusing as hell. We certainly in some respects have become a nation of ninnies.

Good God these flights happened all the time back in the days of the Cold War. CF-101's - nuclear-capable I might add - were based at Comox and routinely flew all over the west coast including the south island when on surveillance patrol often with their 'burners full on: sonic booms were a regular occurrence when I was a kid. If a few fighters here and there scare folks they'd be utterly freaked to know Beale Air Force Base in northern California was home base for decades for the uber-stealthy SR-71 Blackbirds that flew directly over our (Victoria) airspace on their way to the Soviet frontier on spy missions - not to mention the nuclear subs that did and (I will bet still do) regularly transit our water on the way to Nanoose Bay. We are after all members of two major military alliances, namely NATO and NORAD: what do those folks think those organizations do for crying out loud? Here's a hint: they don't practice rescuing your grandmother's cat from trees....

• todd likes this

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

CK2007-0055-03-crop.jpg

http://victoriabctod...18-fighter-jet/

#137 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

There’s a CF-18 parked at the airport right now. You can get a good look from the viewing area by the little cemetery.
  • Mike K. and todd like this

#138 LJ

LJ
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

There was a flight of F15's training today, they are much much quieter than F18's F16's or F35's.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#139 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:03 AM

There was a flight of F15's training today, they are much much quieter than F18's F16's or F35's.

At YYJ?

#140 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 798 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

They must have had the throttles very low. F15s have considerably more powerful and older engines.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users