Photo

Schools in Victoria and school issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#181 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

...For example, learning if your combined voices are more powerful than industry lobbyists...

I guess it's important to learn that isn't true at a young age.

#182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

usually with a strike you try to cause a pain point.  who is harmed most by a school walk-out?

#183 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

Fun times at a local school this week where one grade 5 kid was going around punching other boys in the nuts. One victim took offense and arranged a fight. At the appointed hour the two antagonists met surrounded by the other students, each holding their phones out in anticipation of recording the next viral video sensation. Alas, teachers foiled the plot and everyone was punished--except for the sack-puncher who apparently has outstanding social interaction problems.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#184 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

..everyone was punished--except for the sack-puncher who apparently has outstanding social interaction problems.

:whyme: 

So now the term bully is verboten?

#185 aastra

aastra
  • 14,282 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

We are panicking and we would like for you to start panicking too.

It's not healthy to be in a panic all the time. Thus, the state & corporate authorities recommend a balance: chase your tail from 9 to 5 on weekdays, and panic during evenings and weekends only.

Tips:
- You'll get better at chasing your tail if you spend a few hours each week trying to keep up with the Joneses.
- Panicking is much more effective if you do it while sitting in front of a television or while staring at a smartphone.
- Judge one another harshly and frequently, but never judge the system itself.

Finding it difficult to stick to this routine?
- Try shortening your attention span.
- Wiping your memory clean every night will make it easier to do it all over again the next day.
- Pretend that you're a hamster.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#186 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

Fun times at a local school this week where one grade 5 kid was going around punching other boys in the nuts. One victim took offense and arranged a fight. At the appointed hour the two antagonists met surrounded by the other students, each holding their phones out in anticipation of recording the next viral video sensation. Alas, teachers foiled the plot and everyone was punished--except for the sack-puncher who apparently has outstanding social interaction problems.

Sound like high school in Langford in the 80's except no phones and the fight was in the smoking pit.... 

• Mike K. likes this

#187 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

i dont care if a child has "outstanding social interaction problems" or any other mental health issues.. going around and hitting other children (no matter where they hit them) is not ok and should be punished.. especially since they are the one that started it.. mental/emotional/physical health problems should not be an excuse for bad behavior and hurting others

• Nparker likes this

#188 tedward

tedward
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

I am not sure I am especially keen on my taxpayer dollars going to support teachers taking time off for this.

The it's a good thing they are not. When a union says, "release" that usually means the union is paying for the time off. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#189 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

...When a union says, "release" that usually means the union is paying for the time off. 

Usually...doesn't mean always.

Who covers these teachers' work when they are "released" to attend this rally?

#190 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,743 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

Sound like high school in Langford in the 80's except no phones and the fight was in the smoking pit.... 

Ditto for Cedar Hill JS in the early-mid 70's, except the fight was on the large private acreage next door, off school property, so those pesky teachers and school admins couldn't interfere with the Grade 9-level 'justice' being meted out, lol.

No phones naturally, but large crowds of Grade 10's egging on the "kids" and looking forward to graduating to HS where more often than not school ground fights were a thing from the past; Grade 9's cheering for one or the other class-mate / protagonist but looking over their shoulder and wondering whether they might be on the following week's "card"; and last but not least the newby Grade 8's cowering in the back thinking "s*** and I've got to get through two more years in this zoo?!" :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 15 March 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,696 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:49 AM

Sounds complicated. At Esquimalt in the 90’s you’d just get clocked in the hallway. Nobody had time for arranging post-school beatings.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#192 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:24 AM

I got some of my facts wrong regarding the Grade 5 fight: it took place after school and was not broken up by teachers; it happened. The two antagonists were given detention but the fact that despite complaints the punching went on unpunished for several days before one student decided to go vigilante is the issue.

I guess an anthropologist would have to explain the significance between the pre-arranged time (is 3:45 good for you?) and the impromptu hallway attack. I guess it's about the audience and sending a message.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#193 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

The real significance is if the other kid has stopped nut punching people.

#194 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,696 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

It might just be the beginning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#195 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,743 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

Sounds complicated. At Esquimalt in the 90’s you’d just get clocked in the hallway. Nobody had time for arranging post-school beatings.

Naw...remember this was the early 70's when corporal punishment was still a thing in BC; in my school it was used liberally. Any 'hallway fight' could easily get you physically roughed up and manhandled to the office where you'd be berated and threatened with expulsion. Kids quickly learned off the premises was where any fighting better occur...

Remember those metal holders for chalk that came into vogue at the time? Good for making it easier for the teacher to hold the chalk while writing on the blackboard as well as not getting the chalk all over their fingers. They had the incidental effect of giving the chalk added weight when they decided to hurl it like a missile at the kid at the back of the class who insisted on talking and not paying attention. One teacher in particuar favored this method and he was quite accomplished at beaning anyone unfortunate enough not to be paying attention.

Similarly classrooms had those 3 foot wooden pointers with the rubber nubs used to point out something on the chalkboard or countries on a map in geography class.

They also made great torture implements if a teacher decided to crack it down over the back of your hand, which one teacher at my school at the time was wont to do. One time she came up from behind me down the aisle to my right with that intention but I peeked over my left shoulder and saw it coming so pulled my hands off my desk at the last second. She wound up shattering it into splinters over my desk, which earned me a detention in the cloak room for an hour and a week of cleaning brushes after school, lol.....

• Rob Randall likes this

#196 tedward

tedward
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

Usually...doesn't mean always.

Who covers these teachers' work when they are "released" to attend this rally?

"Release" means that the Union Local or another organization (Provincial Union, National Union, BC Federation of Labour, Canadian Labour Congress, etc) pays the wages. The school can then use the money they would have used to pay the teacher, to pay for a substitute. This sort of thing happens all the time so that Union members can take training and do work on behalf of the membership.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#197 RFS

RFS
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

The most tragically hilarious thing about this is how they frame it like some act of student rebellion.
  • jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

#198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

97% of scientists says we are done in 12 years but only < 10% of students showed up to protest!  90% either went to school or just took the day off and played video games went to the mall etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,696 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

When a whole bunch of young students showed up a few weeks back at the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca) urging her to support the Green New Deal, this happened:

"You know what's interesting about this group?" Feinstein says. "I've been doing this for 30  years. I know what I'm doing. You come in here, and you say it has to be my way or the highway. I don't respond to that. I've gotten elected. I just ran. I was elected by almost a million vote plurality, and I know what I'm doing. So maybe people should listen a little bit."

"I hear what you're saying, but we're the people who voted [sic] you."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 16."

"You didn't vote for me."

A few words later, she ushered the kids out.

• jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#200 jonny

jonny
  • 9,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

I play in an indoor volleyball league. We played at Macaulay Elementary School in Esquimalt last week because of a scheduling issue at our regular school. Man, what a dump. I feel bad for the kids that have to go there. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users