Schools in Victoria and school issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,043 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

The best (new, nicely designed, conducive to learning) public schools are on the Westshore now. The military-esque compounds are what urban kids have to put up with or seek a private education.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 jonny

jonny
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

The best (new, nicely designed, conducive to learning) public schools are on the Westshore now. The military-esque compounds are what urban kids have to put up with or seek a private education.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it needs to be absolutely filthy and in disrepair. It looks like the people who work there just DGAF. Pick some weeds. Paint a wall or two every 50 years. Sweep the bloody floor (the gymnasium obviously hadn't been cleaned in months). 

For the record, Quadra and Cloverdale schools are quite nice despite their age (they're recently renovated, I know). 

#203 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

When a whole bunch of young students showed up a few weeks back at the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca) urging her to support the Green New Deal, this happened:

"You know what's interesting about this group?" Feinstein says. "I've been doing this for 30  years. I know what I'm doing. You come in here, and you say it has to be my way or the highway. I don't respond to that. I've gotten elected. I just ran. I was elected by almost a million vote plurality, and I know what I'm doing. So maybe people should listen a little bit."

"I hear what you're saying, but we're the people who voted [sic] you."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 16."

"You didn't vote for me."

A few words later, she ushered the kids out.

One suspect the follow up to "You didn't vote for me." would be "And now we never will."

• Cats4Hire likes this

#204 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

That’s too bad. Both my kids went to Macaulay (great place to learn french) before we moved here and it was always very well kept. Old, bunker style for sure but grounds and building always appeared well maintained.

Matt

#205 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

One suspect the follow up to "You didn't vote for me." would be "And now we never will."

Honestly I wouldn't vote for her either. She basically confirmed there she only cares about your opinion if you voted for her so she's not in it for the interest of the community but the power and only cares to please those who will continue giving it to her.

#206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

she's not interested in 9-year-olds telling her about the green new deal that's all.   nor should she be.

#207 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

she's not interested in 9-year-olds telling her about the green new deal that's all.   nor should she be.

sure but a 16 year old's brain is a lot closer to an 18 year old's than a 9 year old's.

• Danma likes this

#208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,043 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

I think the point here is that the little stunt someone pulled by flooding her office with teary eyed kids promoting the GND ended up with an old-school “lemme tell ya something, kid” smack down.

Feinstein is an OG. Those kids have never encountered someone like her and they walked away wondering why she didn’t tell them they were special and that everything was going to be ok (which they’re not, but it will).
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#209 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,165 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

...or seek a private education.

Not as expensive as it sounds, especially parochial schools (if one's delicate sensibilities can handle that kind of thing) and especially in comparison to daycare costs.  Very happy with our choice and she's not even started there, yet!

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

Nothing like the fear of god to set a kid straight, for sure.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

Know it all.

#211 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

Future Bear Mountain/Skirt Mountain elementary school site prepped for construction

Know it all.

#212 tedward

tedward
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

Just because it's old doesn't mean it needs to be absolutely filthy and in disrepair. It looks like the people who work there just DGAF. Pick some weeds. Paint a wall or two every 50 years. Sweep the bloody floor (the gymnasium obviously hadn't been cleaned in months). 

Pretty shitty to blame the people doing the best they can to make up for 16 years staffing cuts. I look forward to your support of increased budget for schools to pay for staff to do these things.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#213 jonny

jonny
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Pretty shitty to blame the people doing the best they can to make up for 16 years staffing cuts. I look forward to your support of increased budget for schools to pay for staff to do these things.

I've been to many other public schools in the same district that are much better maintained. Was at Spectrum last night, which was virtually spotless. 

#214 RFS

RFS
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:33 PM

I think a dirty, neglected school builds character.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

I think a dirty, neglected school builds character.

It certainly makes for more robust rats.

#216 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:31 AM

The school board in its infinite wisdom has decided to destroy the dazzle paint job on its alternative school in Quadra Street Village.

The decorative scheme designed by artist Xane St Philip for the previous tenant, the Vancouver Island School of Art, references the camouflage patterns used on Allied warships at the time the school was constructed a century ago.

Of course history and art are unsuitable subjects for teenagers and the building will receive an expensive paint job reverting back to dull grey.

Edited by Rob Randall, 13 April 2019 - 02:32 AM.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:30 AM

Pretty shitty to blame the people doing the best they can to make up for 16 years staffing cuts. 

per pupil spending is at an all-time high in bc.  in most districts it's over $8,000 per student.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2019 - 04:32 AM.

#218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:43 AM

if you base the calculation on only classroom instruction hours most senior bc teachers earn over $100/hour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2019 - 04:44 AM.

#219 martini

martini
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

The school board in its infinite wisdom has decided to destroy the dazzle paint job on its alternative school in Quadra Street Village.

The decorative scheme designed by artist Xane St Philip for the previous tenant, the Vancouver Island School of Art, references the camouflage patterns used on Allied warships at the time the school was constructed a century ago.

Of course history and art are unsuitable subjects for teenagers and the building will receive an expensive paint job reverting back to dull grey.

Do we know what's actually going on? Things got a bit testy last night on FB. Lol

Trustee Ryan Painter visited the site last night and posted these pics.
https://m.facebook.c...81&id=526285080

Edited by martini, 13 April 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#220 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,731 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

Nothing like the fear of god to set a kid straight, for sure.

Actually I think most people today would be surprised; I know in the "old" days, i.e. when my chums went to the same school in the late 60's/early 70's, that St Andrews HS certainly placed more emphasis on religious instruction, not to mention the occasional damn good thrashing at the hands of the nuns...

Fast forward to little miss ASE, who graduated from StAHS in 2016, "religious" classroom time was limited to about an hour a week, tops.

And of course the Catholic Church no longer produces nuns in the school system so the kids don't have to go running to hide behind Father while trembling in utter terror. In fact in about grade 9 or so when I asked her what she and her school mates thought of the religious component of the curriculum, the answer was pretty revealing "Oh most of us tune out and fall asleep with our eyes open.....we know its mostly BS".

By that point - IMO - that school was more interested in attracting students/families with the desire and the $$$ above all into the 'system'. Yes they technically had/have to be Catholic, and incidentally attend weekly mass if the family expected to get the 'parish discount' on the education costs, something wholly at the discretion of the priest, but really these days its fine to be a garden-variety Catholic than a firebrand "holier-than-Thou' type. Times have changed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users