Schools in Victoria and school issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

The best (new, nicely designed, conducive to learning) public schools are on the Westshore now. The military-esque compounds are what urban kids have to put up with or seek a private education.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 jonny

jonny
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

The best (new, nicely designed, conducive to learning) public schools are on the Westshore now. The military-esque compounds are what urban kids have to put up with or seek a private education.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it needs to be absolutely filthy and in disrepair. It looks like the people who work there just DGAF. Pick some weeds. Paint a wall or two every 50 years. Sweep the bloody floor (the gymnasium obviously hadn't been cleaned in months). 

For the record, Quadra and Cloverdale schools are quite nice despite their age (they're recently renovated, I know). 

#203 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

When a whole bunch of young students showed up a few weeks back at the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca) urging her to support the Green New Deal, this happened:

"You know what's interesting about this group?" Feinstein says. "I've been doing this for 30  years. I know what I'm doing. You come in here, and you say it has to be my way or the highway. I don't respond to that. I've gotten elected. I just ran. I was elected by almost a million vote plurality, and I know what I'm doing. So maybe people should listen a little bit."

"I hear what you're saying, but we're the people who voted [sic] you."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 16."

"You didn't vote for me."

A few words later, she ushered the kids out.

One suspect the follow up to "You didn't vote for me." would be "And now we never will."

• Cats4Hire likes this

#204 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

That’s too bad. Both my kids went to Macaulay (great place to learn french) before we moved here and it was always very well kept. Old, bunker style for sure but grounds and building always appeared well maintained.

Matt

#205 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

One suspect the follow up to "You didn't vote for me." would be "And now we never will."

Honestly I wouldn't vote for her either. She basically confirmed there she only cares about your opinion if you voted for her so she's not in it for the interest of the community but the power and only cares to please those who will continue giving it to her.

#206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

she's not interested in 9-year-olds telling her about the green new deal that's all.   nor should she be.

#207 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

she's not interested in 9-year-olds telling her about the green new deal that's all.   nor should she be.

sure but a 16 year old's brain is a lot closer to an 18 year old's than a 9 year old's.

• Danma likes this

#208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

I think the point here is that the little stunt someone pulled by flooding her office with teary eyed kids promoting the GND ended up with an old-school “lemme tell ya something, kid” smack down.

Feinstein is an OG. Those kids have never encountered someone like her and they walked away wondering why she didn’t tell them they were special and that everything was going to be ok (which they’re not, but it will).
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#209 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,096 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

...or seek a private education.

Not as expensive as it sounds, especially parochial schools (if one's delicate sensibilities can handle that kind of thing) and especially in comparison to daycare costs.  Very happy with our choice and she's not even started there, yet!

#210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,525 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

Nothing like the fear of god to set a kid straight, for sure.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users