Photo

Schools in Victoria and school issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#41 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

A lottery is random and everyone has an equal (and unlikely) chance of winning.... But if you thinks it's better to remove the possibility that those that have the will to have the option of success so be it. Equal non-opportunity for all...

I see things differently. If I had disabilities I might still want the opportunity to dictate my success... With a lottery they can pretty much guaranty they won't get their child in. 

I might add that "if you are or become disabled, your child should be denied a chance at this opportunity?" is a straw man....

Edited by dasmo, 12 January 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

16 families camped out, and are in, CFAX reports.

• dasmo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Greg

Greg
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

I suppose amongst the debate between lotteries, camping out, performing volunteer work for priority slots, donations for priority slots and so forth, someone should probably go ahead and point out that it is not in fact technically impossible to just expand the program so that there is space for more children.

• http likes this

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

I suppose amongst the debate between lotteries, camping out, performing volunteer work for priority slots, donations for priority slots and so forth, someone should probably go ahead and point out that it is not in fact technically impossible to just expand the program so that there is space for more children.

A few of us have asked why it can't be easily expanded.   There is no shortage of outdoors for classroom space.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

A few of us have asked why it can't be easily expanded.   There is no shortage of outdoors for classroom space.

There must be a few more schools in the district that have classroom space.

Bang a few portables together, expand the program and bus the kids to the park when there is a nature outing.

Good grief, how difficult can this be to figure out?

It sounds like the powers to be don't want this solved.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

Ah, once again, the best officialdom can come up with is a first-come-first-served system, even if it involves camping out.  Which, apart from Star Wars and iPhones geeks, you will note never happens in the real world.  In the real world, supply meets demand quickly.

http://www.cheknews....mersion-134004/

Parents camp out in Duncan for two nights to enroll children in French Immersion

Government are idiots.  It should also be pointed out, people enroll kids in French Immersion not to get their kids a second (if albeit, not very useful language, compared to say Mandarin on Spanish), but to avoid having special needs kids in the classroom.

• Szeven and tedward like this

#47 nagel

nagel
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

It's a lottery in Vic now just like Vancouver
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

It's a lottery in Vic now just like Vancouver

Makes more sense.  But of course, if costs are equal, increasing supply is a better idea, to adjust to high demand.  Why are we restricting it so badly?  Few bilingual teachers?

#49 nagel

nagel
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

School board doesn't do things by logic. Increased demand usually means they decrease the supply. I'm not even kidding.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

School board doesn't do things by logic. Increased demand usually means they decrease the supply. I'm not even kidding.

I know there are union issues, and so be it.  

Work with it.  You wanna be a new in-demand teacher in BC today?  Get second-language training.

#51 nagel

nagel
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

I know there are union issues, and so be it.

Work with it. You wanna be a new in-demand teacher in BC today? Get second-language training.

get yelled at slightly less than a bus driver but in more emotionally damaging ways. No thanks.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

get yelled at slightly less than a bus driver but in more emotionally damaging ways. No thanks.

Hey, I agree teaching sucks in many cases.  But there is no shortage of applicants schooled in BC.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

No more nature kindergarten classes in Victoria district

http://www.timescolo...trict-1.7235697

So it was a pilot program.  What was the pilot's objectives?  Were they not met?  Or were their none?

#54 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Montessori preschool and childcare centre planned for Skinner Street in Vic West

http://victoria.citi...n-vic-west-323/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

https://www.viha.ca/...hJune172014.pdf

In school district #84, more female teenagers become pregnant that don't.  In fact it might be as high as 75%.

Captain Meares Elem-Secondary School Tahsis 1-12

Gold River Secondary School Gold River 8-12
Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School Kyuquot 1-12
Ray Watkins Elementary School Gold River K-7
Zeballos Elem-Secondary School Zeballos K-12

There are less than 500 students.  In 2013 they registered 190 pregnancies.  

That's quite remarkable.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

https://www.viha.ca/...hJune172014.pdf

In school district #84, more female teenagers become pregnant that don't.  In fact it might be as high as 75%.

Captain Meares Elem-Secondary School Tahsis 1-12

Gold River Secondary School Gold River 8-12
Kyuquot Elementary Secondary School Kyuquot 1-12
Ray Watkins Elementary School Gold River K-7
Zeballos Elem-Secondary School Zeballos K-12

There are less than 500 students.  In 2013 they registered 190 pregnancies.  

That's quite remarkable.

EDIT.... oh OK, VIHA has given me some clarification.  It's not 190 pregnancies.  It's 190 per 1000 births are to teenagers.

#57 nagel

nagel
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

from.  it's impossible to give birth to a teenager.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

Remarkable is probably not the word I would use to describe that situation.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

Victoria School District #61 has named a New Superintendent who will start July 1st 2018.

Her name is Shelley Green.

She will be replacing Piet Langstraat, who has only served in the position for about 2 years.

https://www.sd61.bc....ent-of-schools/

Attached Images

• Green-photo-325x491.jpg

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 03:02 PM.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,525 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Spectrum and Marigold schools are in hold-and-secure.

An individual is on the roof of Spectrum. Police are on-scene, Burnside Road at McKenzie is closed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users