• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

https://victoria.civ...John Turner.pdf

Routing: Victoria Waterbus INC. will be commencing commuter runs in the direction of rush hour from near Sooke Town
Center (@28 mins*), Colwood (near Lehigh gravel pit, Aquatro or Albert Head-@12-14 mins*) and Esquimalt (W. Bay
Marine Village, near fuel jetty or DND designated area-@6-8 mins*).

Victoria Waterbus INC. would like the major downtown arrival/departure dock to be Ship’s Point with moorage nearby. We
are presently also investigating a partnership opportunity with Victoria Clipper Express.

The major targeted routes and estimated ticket fares of Victoria Waterbus LTD. are as follows. During rush hours travel
will be in the direction of destination highs. day time will take into account the highest demand times both ways. Est.
Travel Time does not include embarking, disembarking, docking or harbour speed limits.):
A) Sooke to Ship’s Point, downtown: $12 rh, $6 dt
B) Colwood to Ship’s Point, downtown: $8-$10 rh, $4-5 dt; ETT: 12 minutes
C) View Royal to Ship’s Point, downtown: $8 rh, $4 dt; ETT 8 minutes

* Estimated Time Travel at 20kph-does not consider docking, embarking and disembarking, harbour speed regulations or
other delays. 3

D) Supplementary Routes are from Anacortes Ferry Terminal and Oak Bay Marina to Ship’s Point, downtown. As travel
around the southern island is not quite as time efficient the ridership is not quite as high so the trip demand is not quite as
high. 

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

The numbers they quote for the cost to operate seem rather low.

The idea that the trip can be made from the Inner Harbour to Sooke Harbour in 25 minutes seems unrealistic to me.   That is a distance of over 40 kilometers in 25 minutes.   That is a speed of close to 100 kmh

Janion to Aquatro in Colwood in 12 minutes - that is a distance of around 8.3 km - this is a speed of close to 42 kmh.

In both cases the first 2.75 km is within the high traffic areas of the Inner Harbour.

The timing seems very unrealistic

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

The idea that the trip can be made from the Inner Harbour to Sooke Harbour in 25 minutes seems unrealistic to me.   That is a distance of over 40 kilometers in 25 minutes.   That is a speed of close to 100 kmh

Sounds legit to me if they use this!

A 99-metre long 'Wave Piercing Catamaran' will soon be whizzing up to 1024 passengers and 150 cars between the two cities at a maximum speed of 58.1 knots, or 67 mph.

And the manufacturers of the 450-tonne ferry say that is it 'certainly the fastest ship in the world.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3PJfTEuMg 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

article-2351454-1A916732000005DC-873_634

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 January 2015 - 04:19 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

And if you Google videos of Greek ferry dockings you can see examples of time-saving efforts there, too.

• Nparker, Bernard and Mr_E_Squirrel like this

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

The numbers they quote for the cost to operate seem rather low.

Janion to Aquatro in Colwood in 12 minutes - that is a distance of around 8.3 km - this is a speed of close to 42 kmh.

In both cases the first 2.75 km is within the high traffic areas of the Inner Harbour.

The timing seems very unrealistic

This is the speed they quoted, and they can add wind and wave conditions to the variables.

Estimated Time Travel at 20kph-does not consider docking, embarking and disembarking, harbour speed regulations or

other delays. 3

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

5t9.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

How does work with over 40 km to Sooke and a speed of 20 kmh?   At 20 kmh, the trip to Colwood would take closer to 30 minutes than 12 as they are suggesting.   Sooke would be 90 minutes

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Oh, wow, I didn't realize this was John Turner's plan again. We ran unsuccessfully for council in 2008 so I got a chance to watch him in action. He is one very interesting young man. He wanted to use the profits from this ferry venture to fund social programs for homelessness. He has a lot of energy and determination, I'll say that.

I think we've already forgotten we've talked about him already:

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Turner gives a long, rambling yet fascinating talk about his ferry and the amazing homelessness initiatives and food programs that will be funded with the millions in profits that will pour in but does not go into detail about how this will be a viable business and glosses over obvious things that are inherent risks in this business, like weather and breakdowns.

Bottom line, is that if anybody could make a nickel profit from this run one of the long-established ferry companies would already be doing it. They've all run the numbers and like Paul Servos said, they don't add up. I'm sure Clipper and the rest of them would love to operate a profitable commuter run because it would give their employees steady work in the off season.

#10 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

The speed given is 20 kph, which can mean 20 knots (nautical miles per hour). That's about 37 km per hour. The Princess Marguerite could make 25 knots, I think.

#11 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Maybe the big companies aren't crazy enough to try.... We need crazy to try something like this...
  • Rob Randall likes this

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

How does work with over 40 km to Sooke and a speed of 20 kmh?   At 20 kmh, the trip to Colwood would take closer to 30 minutes than 12 as they are suggesting.   Sooke would be 90 minutes

There will be days when there's a honking westerly blowing off of Sooke and the passengers will be late for dinner.

#13 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

This is as stupid an idea as the gondola ride from the cruise ship terminal to downtown.  They obviously haven't spent any time on the water during the winter months, especially out towards Sooke

• Bingo likes this

#14 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I would like it if the attempt is made. I won't be investing though ;-)

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

There are 8,000 people in Sooke. That population is barely able to justify a transit route let alone a commuter ferry of all things. Downtown to the old quarry I can see as possibly viable but that's it.

Remember when the navy ferry from Colwood stopped running? It was fine when subsidized but as a for-profit operation it folded in no time.
  • Bingo and tedward like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

This is as stupid an idea as the gondola ride from the cruise ship terminal to downtown.  They obviously haven't spent any time on the water during the winter months, especially out towards Sooke

I give him credit for at least trying, as I did help him set up the presentation. Whether or not his ideas are realistic, is beside the point. At least he is making an effort in bringing ideas forward.
  • dasmo likes this

#17 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

As I said before, I wouldn't invest in it but I'm glad he's willing to try it. We need more risk takers.

#18 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

As I said before, I wouldn't invest in it but I'm glad he's willing to try it. We need more risk takers.

I agree Dasmo,

We definitely need more risk takers in this region.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

I think the CRD is a place people to which people are drawn precisely because there is little risk (i.e. change) here. 

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

What we really need is a second route between the urban core and the west shore. Ferries, rail lines, hov lanes, whatever, only mask the massive problem of having a poorly designed infrastructure network.

• Danma likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users