Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#581 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

...fort works fine up to langley... 

Bus route #15 uses Fort Street on its way back from Esquimalt & Vic West. It would be ludicrous to re-route it up Johnson. Fort is also a major east-west connector for a lot of traffic and it should not be truncated at Douglas Street.

• tedward likes this

#582 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Bus route #15 uses Fort Street on its way back from Esquimalt & Vic West. It would be ludicrous to re-route it up Johnson. Fort is also a major east-west connector for a lot of traffic and it should not be truncated at Douglas Street.

The Bus could go Broughton and pickup Fort from Douglas to Quadra. Fort is one way going east so I'm not sure what you mean about truncating it at Douglas. Fort basically would start at Douglas. 

#583 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

......Fort basically would start at Douglas. 

"Hey John, they've closed Fort between Wharf and Douglas ... let's go walk around Government St for the day and have a look".

......said nobody, ever!

The "solution looking for a problem" is strong today!

• Nparker likes this

#584 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

The Bus could go Broughton and pickup Fort from Douglas to Quadra. Fort is one way going east so I'm not sure what you mean about truncating it at Douglas. Fort basically would start at Douglas. 

I don't think Johnson would be able to handle the extra traffic. Having the West to East inner city routes split in two helps a lot. Anyone going from Downtown/Vicwest/esquimalt/etc to anywhere in the Oak Bay/Gonzales area would be diverted to Johnson.

#585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

Parking is not the problem.

There are only 7 parking spots on along this stretch of Government.

In my plan you could gain 32 street level parking spaces overall by creating 70 angled spots to replace the parallel spots on the new dead end streets.

Way to ruin my year!!!11!!!!!!1

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

The Bus could go Broughton and pickup Fort from Douglas to Quadra...

Not that I advocate closing off any cross-streets to create a pedestrian mall on Government Street, but it would make much more sense to dead-end Broughton rather than Fort. A fortune was just spent creating bike lanes on Fort, and now you are proposing a section of it be dead-ended?

#587 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

"Hey John, they've closed Fort between Wharf and Douglas ... let's go walk around Government St for the day and have a look".
......said nobody, ever!

The "solution looking for a problem" is strong today!

Huh?

#588 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Not that I advocate closing off any cross-streets to create a pedestrian mall on Government Street, but it would make much more sense to dead-end Broughton rather than Fort. A fortune was just spent creating bike lanes on Fort, and now you are proposing a section of it be dead-ended?

Could keep them open through here since not a lot of bike traffic starts at Warf or wants to cross the bridge Fort to Warf.
OR possibly keep Fort open for cross traffic instead of Broughton.

#589 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

Way to ruin my year!!!11!!!!!!1

You made my day!
  • Mike K. likes this

#590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Something Her Worseship hasn't commented on regarding her "people first" vision for Government Street

...“The pilot showed that unless you activate the street, blocking it to traffic doesn’t really add to it. And, of course it’s one thing to make it a pedestrian area in July and August, but how does that look in February or November?”

https://www.timescol...-say-1.23884522

Like many of the CoV's "people spaces" they have the potential to be dynamic 4 months of the year, but come winter they are more than likely dead zones.

#591 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

^ A good model may be Rue Sainte-Catherine in Montreal. It is open to traffic most of the year, but is pedestrian only in the summer. The street was recently redesigned and rebuilt (the whole thing was excavated for utility work anyways). Lane markings are shown with paving stones, the curbs are removed, and parking is maintained. It certainly helps that Boul. Rene-Levesque is one block south, and Rue Sherbrooke is two blocks north, so through traffic has a couple options to avoid Sainte-Catherine.

Capture.PNG

• Mike K., sebberry and tedward like this

#592 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

Something Her Worseship hasn't commented on regarding her "people first" vision for Government Street

Like many of the CoV's "people spaces" they have the potential to be dynamic 4 months of the year, but come winter they are more than likely dead zones.

How does adding cars make it a dynamic people space in February?

But anyway, I am in support of some form of shared/time-limited closure. I don't see the need to make it 24/7, 12 months a year.

• Brantastic likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#593 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

Agreed, perhaps make it pedestrian only from March - October, then re-open it to cars after that?

• Mike K. likes this

#594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

How does adding cars make it a dynamic people space in February?...

I never said it would.

#595 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

^ A good model may be Rue Sainte-Catherine in Montreal. 

As of today, that is not a great comparison as the mix of retail and services on Government street is vastly different than Rue SC or other pedestrian malls in North America. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#596 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

.........the mix of retail and services on Government street is vastly different than Rue SC or other pedestrian malls in North America. 

Makes sense when creating a walking mall on Gov't currently would highlight of a couple of faceless office buildings, a Burger King, a 7-11 store, and a dozen or so trinket and junk shops selling "Follow the Birds to Victoria" t-shirts to tourists (joke).

Not really the same as Montreal at all ... even if you squint!

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#597 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

I drive on Government St. to access the Bay Centre parkade, lol. Trying to get there with a different route is very long-winded. I've had occasion the last couple of years to buy wedding gifts from the Bay, and there's no way I could lug them very far.

#598 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

To make a true pedestrian area, that St.Catherine is a perfect example. Government Street would need to be paved over evenly, with bricks, and curbs removed. Having it open for cars most of the year could still work. But in the summer months, the restaurants and coffee shops can spread out a bit, people can meander without fearing being run over. I think it would be great to see this in Victoria.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#599 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

I drive on Government St. to access the Bay Centre parkade, lol. Trying to get there with a different route is very long-winded. I've had occasion the last couple of years to buy wedding gifts from the Bay, and there's no way I could lug them very far.

That would only make sense if you're accessing it from the south. From the north Broad Street is the best approach. Most people would not access the Bay Centre by car from the south.
  • tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#600 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

....... the restaurants and coffee shops can spread out a bit............

I've always wanted to eat my Whopper and fries on Government Streets sidewalk ... it's so European!

And maybe the 7-11 will set out a few seats and tables as well ... that way I can enjoy my Super-Size Slurpee at a sidewalk table, just like they do in Budapest!

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users