Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

I've always wanted to eat my Whopper and fries on Government Streets sidewalk ... it's so European!

And maybe the 7-11 will set out a few seats and tables as well ... that way I can enjoy my Super-Size Slurpee at a sidewalk table, just like they do in Budapest!

Untitled.png

Sure, why not?

• aastra likes this

#602 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:29 PM

They could plant cisgender inter-generational Sequoia trees and decorate them for Festivus?

• Cassidy likes this

#603 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Makes sense when creating a walking mall on Gov't currently would highlight of a couple of faceless office buildings, a Burger King, a 7-11 store, and a dozen or so trinket and junk shops selling "Follow the Birds to Victoria" t-shirts to tourists (joke).

Not really the same as Montreal at all ... even if you squint!

I've always wanted to eat my Whopper and fries on Government Streets sidewalk ... it's so European!

And maybe the 7-11 will set out a few seats and tables as well ... that way I can enjoy my Super-Size Slurpee at a sidewalk table, just like they do in Budapest!

Is this where we all pretend that Roger's Chocolates, Chocolate Favoris, Bard and Banker, Murchies, Churchill, Earl's, Garrick's Head, and Irish Times aren't the busiest places on Government Street? Because those places would probably all benefit from Government being pedestrian with more tables spilling out onto the larger sidewalk. As would the tourist trash shops, because most of those tourists aren't in cars.

• gstc84 likes this

#604 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:50 AM

It'll still be crickets chirping from October to April.

#605 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

It'll still be crickets chirping from October to April.

I think that's an overstatement to be sure, but I'd be more than happy if the street was pedestrian only from 10:00 am to 2:00 am from May through September. It would be easy to further expand times and dates if it were warranted based on results.

• tedward and Brantastic like this

#606 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

It would be cool if the city sold some permits for temporary kiosks / street vendors during the period of seasonal closure.

Maybe they could curate the permits and try to attract some quality vendors. 

• tedward and Midnightly like this

#607 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

McDonald's in Budapest...

Budapest-McDonalds.jpg

As the pics show, we should expect this sort of thing on a pedestrian street in the heart of the city. But it raises the question: do the Victorians who push for European-style pedestrian streets actually want "real world" pedestrian streets? Do they want to further energize Government Street and downtown as a whole? Or is the intention something different?

Edited by aastra, 19 July 2019 - 10:42 AM.

• tedward likes this

#608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

The Budapest Metropolitan Area has a population of 3.3 million* people. Population of the CRD, including unincorporated areas is 413,406*. The former has a population density of 433 people per square kilometer. The population density of the CRD is 52.9 per square kilometer. I am not sure accurate comparisons can or should be made between the 2 regions.

*2018 estimates

#609 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

Why refer to the CRD? The CMA has effectively the same population as the CRD but it's a fraction of the size, so the CMA's population density ends up being 528 per square kilometre.

Anyway, methinks a city's overall population and/or its overall population density isn't particularly relevant when we're talking about pedestrian streets in the heart of the old town. Cities come in all shapes and sizes but pedestrian streets can just as easily fail miserably in the biggest cities as they can succeed in the smallest towns. Would we say Bastion Square was a success? I'd say so, but I also don't think the Bastion Square example has a huge amount of relevance to the Government Street situation, even though they're in the same district in the same city and even though they join one another. 

#610 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:15 PM

...methinks a city's overall population and/or its overall population density isn't particularly relevant when we're talking about pedestrian streets in the heart of the old town...

Methinks it is relevant when were talking about an area that for half the year has a relatively small population to maintain the vibrancy of a pedestrian dominated thoroughfare.

#611 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

That would only make sense if you're accessing it from the south. From the north Broad Street is the best approach. Most people would not access the Bay Centre by car from the south.

And that's exactly where we're accessing it from, the south. Along with anyone from James Bay and many parts of Fairfield.

#612 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

Red Fish-Blue Fish shuts down for Fall, Winter, and early Spring for a reason.
  • tedward likes this

#613 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

Is this where we all pretend that Roger's Chocolates, Chocolate Favoris, Bard and Banker, Murchies, Churchill, Earl's, Garrick's Head, and Irish Times aren't the busiest places on Government Street? Because those places would probably all benefit from Government being pedestrian with more tables spilling out onto the larger sidewalk. As would the tourist trash shops, because most of those tourists aren't in cars.

Would it be presumptuous of me to point out that most of those joints don't have tables and chairs on the sidewalks, possibly indicating that they don't want tables and chairs on the sidewalk? ... and the ones that do only have tables and chairs "active" for around two or three months of the year also show them as empty and dead for the other 9-10 months of the year).

I love Victoria, and when the weather is nice here ... there's literally no place on earth that I'd rather be (seriously) ... no place on earth I'd rather be.

But ...the weather is only nice here for maybe two or three months a year ... with the remainder of each year cold, damp, windy, wet, and miserable. 

Such is life on the Northern borders of a temperate rain forest! (perhaps not the best latitude/longitude for a sidewalk cafe?).

Leave Government Street as it is ... it works just fine, and won't look ridiculous for 9 months of the year when it's empty of table and chairs, and utterly devoid of people other than those folks walking from point "A" to point "B", and who just happen to need to walk along Government Street to get there!

• Nparker likes this

#614 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

If we could make it like Cologne's shopping street it would be good year round, but there would have to be an awful lot of existing shops reimagined.

https://www.cologne.de/shopping

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#615 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Would it be presumptuous of me to point out that most of those joints don't have tables and chairs on the sidewalks, possibly indicating that they don't want tables and chairs on the sidewalk? ... and the ones that do only have tables and chairs "active" for around two or three months of the year also show them as empty and dead for the other 9-10 months of the year).

I love Victoria, and when the weather is nice here ... there's literally no place on earth that I'd rather be (seriously) ... no place on earth I'd rather be.

But ...the weather is only nice here for maybe two or three months a year ... with the remainder of each year cold, damp, windy, wet, and miserable. 

Such is life on the Northern borders of a temperate rain forest! (perhaps not the best latitude/longitude for a sidewalk cafe?).

Leave Government Street as it is ... it works just fine, and won't look ridiculous for 9 months of the year when it's empty of table and chairs, and utterly devoid of people other than those folks walking from point "A" to point "B", and who just happen to need to walk along Government Street to get there!

Not so much presumptuous as just wrong. I've bolded the places on the list who have outdoor seating: Roger's Chocolates, Chocolate Favoris, Bard and Banker, Murchies, Churchill, Earl's, Garrick's Head, and Irish Times. Most of them do have outdoor seating.

And you seem to be one of several people posting in this thread who think that there is no activity on Government Street outside of July and August. I have no idea why anyone has that impression, but I assume it is because *they* don't come downtown the rest of the year. But plenty of people do. For sure there are rainy days in November and February, and fewer people sit outside in December than in July, but the street is busy year round, and people do in fact sit outside now and then throughout the year.

• gstc84 likes this

#616 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

And for "now and then" Government Street works just fine as it is.

#617 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:07 PM

And you seem to be one of several people posting in this thread who think that there is no activity on Government Street outside of July and August. I have no idea why anyone has that impression, but I assume it is because *they* don't come downtown the rest of the year. .......

I'm downtown in/on/around Government Street every workday, (and have been for 45 years) ... is there anything else I can correct for you?

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:10 AM

Frankie’s Diner has outdoor seating as well, as does Starbucks (and the one that was one block south did). Sam’s Deli had a large patio, and the biggest of them all (I think?) is Kitchen, although technically it’s on Humboldt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#619 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:25 AM

European style sidewalk restaurant/bar seating is an actual thing, and only a couple of the joints below sport such a set-up:

• Frankies is on the second floor overlooking Government St.
  • Sams Deli is long gone.
  • Humbolt St. isn't Government St. 
  • Rogers Chocolates doesn't sell food or coffee, it sells chocolates. No reason to have table and chairs.
  • Chocolate Favoris sells ice cream cones to tourists. Same note as above.
  • Garricks Head outdoor seating is in Bastion Square, not on Government Street.
  • My original post alluded to Irish Times, and Bard and Banker, which I noted had a fenced in area that closed down entirely at the end of Summer.
  • Earls is another Burger King ... sorry I missed it.
  • Murchies hs three tables out on by the road so as not to block the sidewalk ... sorry I missed it.
  • And you both missed Milano, which actually does serve food and coffee, and has three tables outside, one of which is located on Government Street. Sorry I missed it.

Edited by Cassidy, 20 July 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

Frankie's has installed seating on the sidewalk now.

Sam's Deli seating remains, to be used by a future business.

Why is Earl's a Burger King? It's a great place, and its outdoor seating is done very well.

The new spaces being created as part of Customs House no doubt will attract a restaurant that will no doubt have some form of outdoor seating.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users