Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#761 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

I’ve started hearing that businesses in the downtown core are feeling like too much political and municipal effort is being directed at the street while off-street businesses that are open are suffering as patrons seek the novelty of Government. I’m talking food and drink merchants.

In normal times, with normal tourism levels, and the typical range of choice to be had downtown, such a draw wouldn’t pose an issue, but in today’s limited patron landscape where everyone is fighting over 20-30% of regular patronage levels it’s easy to see how businesses not along Victoria’s chosen Golden Mile are losing out.

So while people go to Government and officials call the people they see there a success, where are they not going to that they would have ordinarily gone?

New patios exist outside of Government Street, though, right? I know Pags and Yates Street Taphouse have new patios. I've heard of several others. The fact is a lot of people are more comfortable being outside than inside right now. There's only so much that can be done about that.

#762 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:26 AM

New patios exist outside of Government Street, though, right? I know Pags and Yates Street Taphouse have new patios. I've heard of several others. The fact is a lot of people are more comfortable being outside than inside right now. There's only so much that can be done about that.

2% Jazz coffee has a nice little patio for those who like to go for a coffee with a co-worker.

#763 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

It’s even places with the patios that are frustrated, at least anecdotally. There’s been so much marketing/attention/promotion of Government that it’s become a draw which, it turns out, is unevenly siphoning patrons to its businesses while leaving others dry.

I’m sure things will equalize, but we’ve only got six or seven weeks left in summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#764 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

...I’m sure things will equalize, but we’ve only got six or seven weeks left in summer.

Let's hope we've got summer at least through Labour Day!

• Greg likes this

#765 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

It’s even places with the patios that are frustrated, at least anecdotally. There’s been so much marketing/attention/promotion of Government that it’s become a draw which, it turns out, is unevenly siphoning patrons to its businesses while leaving others dry.

I’m sure things will equalize, but we’ve only got six or seven weeks left in summer.

I'm sure there's frustration all around for obvious reasons. But I think Government has always been a draw. And that area is far more adversely affected by the lack of cruise ships than some of the outlying businesses, so there's that as well.

#766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, we'll have to wait this one out, I guess. It just such a tough time to be a merchant in the city centre right now. And now that summer is here even those who are at the office are going to start taking vacations/limiting work hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#767 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:36 AM

Has summer started?!

• Mike K., Matt R., grantpalin and 1 other like this

#768 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

https://www.dailymai...s-warns-PM.html

They're feeling it in the UK

Empty offices are killing our town centres, warns Boris Johnson: PM orders British workers to return to their desks to help save the economy as homeworking wreaks havoc on nation's finances
  • Boris Johnson will next week tell office workers to start returning to their desks
  • PM will use update on virus strategy to press employers to get staff back to work
  • Mr Johnson 'is aghast at the impact empty offices are having on town centres'

•  

#769 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I'm sure he's very concerned about it.

#770 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:26 PM

(Obviously not on Government, but this seems like the most relevant thread)

The half-block of Broad Street that Pags sits on has now been closed off to traffic. Also, Darcy's is building a new patio extension sticking out on Wharf Street.

#771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:11 AM

How is the closure being enforced? With bollards?

Know it all.

#772 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:32 AM

sounds like Mardi Gras.

#773 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

How is the closure being enforced? With bollards?

A couple of giant concrete style bollard at both ends of the block.

There were COV crews on-site yesterday buffing up the bollards with some nice wood bits ... they look OK, but in typical COV style they don't really look like much in terms of having any thought put into the overall design.

It looks like there's a small opening between the bollards that will let vehicles in very early morning for deliveries (there's signage to that effect), but beyond that the block is definitely "closed to traffic".

As of yesterday it was just Pag's that had a few tables out on the street, so it's not really too clear why they've blocked it off as they have ... food wise - there's only Pag's and Macchiato on that block, so it's not like it's going to fill right up with patio furniture?

I've long been of the opinion that this is the prettiest block in the downtown core, so if they're going to close it off for good, it would be nice if they'd do it with the assistance of an actual landscape designer.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

I was meaning to go to DJ Bremner today, so I’ll check this out.

What’s particularly strange is I don’t think we caught this plan ahead of time. The closure just happened.

• Hotel Mike and Spy Black like this

Know it all.

#775 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:51 AM

A couple of giant concrete style bollard at both ends of the block.

There were COV crews on-site yesterday buffing up the bollards with some nice wood bits ... they look OK, but in typical COV style they don't really look like much in terms of having any thought put into the overall design.

It looks like there's a small opening between the bollards that will let vehicles in very early morning for deliveries (there's signage to that effect), but beyond that the block is definitely "closed to traffic".

As of yesterday it was just Pag's that had a few tables out on the street, so it's not really too clear why they've blocked it off as they have ... food wise - there's only Pag's and Macchiato on that block, so it's not like it's going to fill right up with patio furniture?

I've long been of the opinion that this is the prettiest block in the downtown core, so if they're going to close it off for good, it would be nice if they'd do it with the assistance of an actual landscape designer.

It sounds like it will be a project of the Greater Victoria Placemaking Network, the City, and some of the businesses, though I don't have any details. GVPN recently completed the street mural on the new Humboldt plaza.

Edit: I wonder if Urban Systems is one of the involved parties, since their Victoria office is on this block...

Edited by Jackerbie, 16 July 2020 - 11:54 AM.

#776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:13 PM

I really loathe the term "placemaking". Places exist, even the ones that aren't "made".

#777 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

it would be nice to have a sign pointing to that new safeway near fort street.  if it even exists.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 July 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#778 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

I really loathe the term "placemaking". Places exist, even the ones that aren't "made".

Yes, but the familiar places that already existed weren't quite right. For example, many of those familiar places were placed in the wrong places, or they were the wrong type of places and thus very out of place. You need to forget all about those places. Seriously, you need to do it, because eventually there will be fines for remembering the old places and not properly acknowledging the new places.

#779 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

What’s particularly strange is I don’t think we caught this plan ahead of time. The closure just happened.

A few businesses on the impacted block of Broad had heard about the pending closure early last week, but I'm not sure who (or where) they heard it from.

So it seems there is some sort of COV plan afoot, but one being shared very judiciously with (apparently) only businesses directly impacted by the closure ... but not really made public such that anybody else would know.

#780 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

Jeremy Loveday today on Twitter when I asked "can you post a link to the consultation and business case for identifying this block to be closed without notice?"

This came from a petition by local businesses I believe rather than at council direction.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users