Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#801 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:56 AM

This block, in the freshly monikered "South Broad District" (I guess the Stella Kowalski District didn't have the same cachet), could be beautiful with just a little imagination and more than $50 thrown at it. Instead we get something that looks like it was designed in Soviet Russia ca. 1960. It's about as inviting as spending time at the Berlin Wall (pre-November 1991).

• Spy Black likes this

#802 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

Didn't people say they wanted a more European feel?

• Nparker likes this

#803 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

...perhaps the tens of thousands of dollars the COV owes Transit for bus passes could have purchased a few more planters, pavers, appropriate lighting, and more "friendly" signage...

Newcomers to Victoria or younger people probably don't realize the extent of the past studies and investigations related to these sorts of street closures. This stuff has been investigated and rehearsed at length for many decades. What's the point of spending so much time and money to investigate these initiatives if absolutely everything we learn gets tossed out when the time finally arrives (or finally re-arrives)?

If expensive research & preparation only ends up producing the same crude & raw "fly by the seat of your pants" result that we would expect from no preparation whatsoever then why bother with the extensive preparation in the first place? Are these narratives scripted? Why do so many of these longstanding issues play out the exact same way with the exact same verbiage and the exact same mistakes every time?

Daily Colonist
May 29, 1973

Merchants Knock, Praise Concept of Broad Mall

The carnival-like activity on Broad Street during last week's Victorian Days has aroused some controversy among the merchants along the temporary mall.

One merchant says the week-long partial closure of Broad and the complete elimination of parking on the street during that time has been bad for his business. He views the possibility that Broad may someday become a permanent pedestrian mall with some misgivings.

Another merchant, however, says his business may have picked up last week as a result of increased pedestrian traffic. He would like to see Broad Street converted to a permanent mall.

A third merchant says the partial closure last week could have been a success, had it not been botched by poor planning and poor administration.

The merchant who never wants to see a repetition of this year's "debacle" is Donald MacDonald of MacDonald's Furniture Mart... at the corner of Pandora.

What he objected to most of all was the "shoddy arrangement" of cheap stalls, barricades and food stands doing business out of trailers.

"It was a bloody mess. Why didn't they use planters with flowers to block off the street? That's what we were told would be done. Instead there were dozens of cheap barricades from Farmer's Construction..."

"If this is an indication of what a permanently closed Broad Street would look like, they can keep it," he said, referring to Mayor Peter Pollen's statement last week that he hoped Broad would eventually be a pedestrian mall all the way from Fort to city hall.

MacDonald added, "I admit that, probably with the proper planning and preparation, a permanent mall on Broad might be a success, but this brief debacle hasn't helped strengthen my belief."

Edited by aastra, 18 July 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#804 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:49 AM

It's like the CoV exists in a permanent version of the movie Groundhog Day.

#805 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

People might think we're joking. I'm not joking. We've seen numerous news articles from decades ago about various controversies that could be re-printed today word-for-word (just change the names) and many people would have no idea.

• Nparker likes this

#806 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:01 AM

It's almost as if the controversy related to street closures is the real underlying initiative. The controversy keeps getting replayed, but with minimal real progress after ~60 years. Same thing for the controversy related to Wharf Street waterfront redevelopment, etc. The decades-long sewage controversy finally ended up producing an outcome but it involved the same endless revisiting of the same information.

Maybe 60-70 years is the incubation time that the authorities think is optimal?

#807 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

This block, in the freshly monikered "South Broad District" (I guess the Stella Kowalski District didn't have the same cachet), could be beautiful with just a little imagination and more than $50 thrown at it. Instead we get something that looks like it was designed in Soviet Russia ca. 1960. It's about as inviting as spending time at the Berlin Wall (pre-November 1991).

I was at the Berlin Wall, crossing into East Berlin, in 1975. You're right, there is a resemblance! As far as beautification, we all know the city has great disdain for flowers now. You only have to look at the herbaceous border in Beacon Hill and the small pocket flower beds around town.

I found the newspaper clippings files at the library quite interest. Lots of the same old stories from years ago, still going on today.

#808 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

I haven't been following this thread, but I was govt street last night around 8pm. The enforcement of the pedestrian only area is none existent, and I saw multiple people drive between Broughton and Fort. What gives?

#809 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

I haven't been there but from what I've read, it's only the section from Fort to View that is closed to vehicles. The rest is just to see if you're paying attention I guess.

#810 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

I haven't been following this thread, but I was govt street last night around 8pm. The enforcement of the pedestrian only area is none existent, and I saw multiple people drive between Broughton and Fort. What gives?

The street is only closed between Fort and View. The rest of the street allows for driving in the central lane between the bollards but with pedestrian priority. 

#811 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

I posted a few patio pics (among other stuff) in SSP, but since the photo posting procedure on VV is different, here's the link.  Hey Happy and The Ruby's patio are quite nice.

#812 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

Didn't people say they wanted a more European feel?

Having traveled to many, many European cities, I can't say that the bollard and picnic table theme is widely prevalent, but if people want to pretend that they are in Paris or Amsterdam when walking down Government St then more power to them.

I have no issues trying to help out downtown businesses and am willing to inconvenience myself in order to do that. The way things are currently tracking, it is going to be pretty barren unless as a community we can help out. My objection is to the completely haphazard and non-consultative approach which is typical of City Hall. 

Edited by spanky123, 19 July 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#813 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

^I was just making a joke re: Nparker's references to the Eastern Bloc.

• Nparker likes this

#814 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

They said they wanted a more "European" feel but they didn't specify which part of Europe or which historical era.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#815 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

My objection is to the completely haphazard and non-consultative approach which is typical of City Hall.

This.

#816 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

Had to chuckle at a letter in the paper today praising the closure of Government St. They said "I was met with the sounds of a standup bass musician and saxophonist. They played to audiences on the patios of Earls, Murchies, etc.". Sorry, but if I'm having a coffee with someone and had to listen to a saxophonist, I'd be outta there! Can't stand that instrument and generally don't like live music when I'm trying to talk with someone. That would be a definite deterrent to me.

#817 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Had to chuckle at a letter in the paper today praising the closure of Government St. They said "I was met with the sounds of a standup bass musician and saxophonist. They played to audiences on the patios of Earls, Murchies, etc.". Sorry, but if I'm having a coffee with someone and had to listen to a saxophonist, I'd be outta there! Can't stand that instrument and generally don't like live music when I'm trying to talk with someone. That would be a definite deterrent to me.

even george michael?

video:  https://youtu.be/DFB4Iw7BHoU

• Matt R. likes this

#818 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

Not even Saxsquatch?

https://www.saxsquatch.com/

Matt.
  • Redd42 likes this

#819 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

Was talking with a shop owner who was having a contractor build a nice little patio for him on the street the other day. He quite proudly told me the City was paying for it! Apparently the deal is that the City covers the costs and then the shop owner has the option of leasing it come November.

According to Helps it is ‘illegal’ to provide financial support to businesses which is why there is nothing they can do for businesses being robbed blind in Burnside-Gorge. Apparently though it is ok to provide patios for her donors and friends.
  • Dr. Barillas and Victoria Watcher like this

#820 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:49 AM

I want a no Saxophone zone, lol.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users