Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#881 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

While it’s no surprise the retail environment has been ­devastated by the ­COVID-19 pandemic....

Journalism 101, yet again. Did the pandemic really devastate the retail environment? Customers are all dead, store owners are all dead, store employees are all dead? Or did something else devastate the retail environment?

• A Girl is No one and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#882 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:55 AM

Aastra   It is the horde of zombies that keep my wife and I from shopping downtown.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#883 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:45 AM

Wonder how many have just moved. This business was on lower Yates for years.

The move to Oak Bay has been great business-wise.

“Busier than we’ve been in years,” Anderson said. “Our feet are tired.

Burrows is confident that the hustle and bustle of Oak Bay Village equals that of downtown Victoria, where foot traffic has been slowing the past decade, she said.

“We’ve had clients come back that we haven’t seen in a long time who were reluctant to go downtown,” Burrows said.

https://www.vicnews....ome-to-oak-bay/

Journalism 101, yet again. Did the pandemic really devastate the retail environment? Customers are all dead, store owners are all dead, store employees are all dead? Or did something else devastate the retail environment?

#884 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:45 PM

The DVBA has pedestrian counters that are easily viewable online - https://downtownvict...estrian-counts/

Pedestrian volumes seem to have been pretty consistent for at least the last 6-7 years or so, at least until 2020 started. Obviously it's the pandemic, what the hell else could it be?  Or do you honestly think losing all cruise ship traffic, having a large percentage of downtown workers working from home, social distancing measures, etc. won't have any impact on the foot traffic downtown?  

#885 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:51 PM

Am I really supposed to believe you don't understand my comment?

#886 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

I haven't looked at the pedestrian counters in awhile. Interesting to see the changes. The one that I find completely puzzling is the Inner Harbour Lower Causeway counter. What explains the couple of record-setting days with upwards of 16,000 pedestrians walking northbound on days like May 6, 2020 or May 22, 2020?

http://eco-public.co...2/?id=100027012

#887 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:02 AM

Am I really supposed to believe you don't understand my comment?

I suppose it's possible i misunderstood your comment; this is the internet after all, and sometimes subtleties are lost in translation.  

To clarify, I understood your comment to imply that there were reasons other than the pandemic that was hurting the downtown retail environment. As for what other reasons you may have been referring to, i'm assuming they're some mix of homelessness, parking, bike lanes, etc. that often get thrown around on this forum. All of these non-pandemic reasons have been around for a number of years. Yet, foot traffic has remained consistent in the downtown core, implying that the number of potential customers has not declined.

....until this year, when foot traffic dropped for some unknown reason i guess.   

#888 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

Are all pedestrians of equal value to businesses?

#889 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

I suspect the ones that spend money are considered more valuable.

#890 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, i suppose that's a possibility, that people have now just decided to wander aimlessly around downtown for no reason. 

I guess some of those peds being counted could be homeless, although realistically how many could that be? Didn't the last census have what, 1500 homeless? And based on some of the comments in these forums, we're led to believe most of those are either camped out in Beacon Hill Park or passed out in a doorway high on meth, so how can they also be walking around setting off all of the ped counters?  

#891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:24 PM

Government Street may have gained its vehicle access for the season, but it has lost its Christmas lights. The street has historically been a boulevard of bright lights and Christmas cheer, but this evening the street was absent of the festive decorations. My take away is municipal crews are not decorating the street this year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#892 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:01 PM

Government Street may have gained its vehicle access for the season, but it has lost its Christmas lights. The street has historically been a boulevard of bright lights and Christmas cheer, but this evening the street was absent of the festive decorations. My take away is municipal crews are not decorating the street this year.

Is anywhere downtown decorated?.....Not.

Great way to promote local business?.....Not.

Who's idea and who supports making Victoria void of holiday cheer?.....ding ding ding! 

#893 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

Oak Bay is lite light and very festive. No wonder the pub is busy.

City Council's new plan to get affordable housing is to turn the city into an undesirable dump.

• A Girl is No one and JohnsonStBridge like this

#894 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:28 PM

Working perfectly...

City Council's new plan to get affordable housing is to turn the city into an undesirable dump.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#895 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:55 AM

Oh that's a shame about the downtown lights. Are there none anywhere? We don't drive downtown at night but usually during Christmas we have a drive around. Oak Bay here we come! 

#896 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:59 AM

Nothing. At the very least light standards have banners but even those haven’t gone up this year. I don’t even understand why the trees along Government aren’t lit up. It’s like the City forgot about Christmas altogether.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#897 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

Oh that's a shame about the downtown lights. Are there none anywhere? We don't drive downtown at night but usually during Christmas we have a drive around. Oak Bay here we come! 

A lot more houses with lights up this year from what I can tell, and a LOT of people doing drive arounds looking. Not much else to do with young kids unfortunately. Butchart canceled, Wonderland canceled, friend visits and parties canceled... I need more ideas for evenings and (wet) weekends...

#898 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:37 AM

Pretty sure I watched City employees putting Christmas lights up in the Government Street trees the other day. Perhaps they'll turn on any day now. It's odd that it's so late though.

#899 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

last year the centennial square display was scheduled to start december 13th (it was subsequently delayed).  so maybe this weekend is the normal light-up time downtown.  maybe they just don't like to be criticized for being early - which seems to be a thing.

#900 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

Imagine being an out of towner and trying to navigate our downtown streets? Lol

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users