Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#981 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

She shouldn’t have worn that skirt.

Her glance invited too much attention.

If she’d only gone to a place of good report.

Then none of that would have happened, because it takes two to tango.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#982 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:52 AM

Don't you dare go there.

#983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

...the Mayor and her TV allies have successfully stripped the personality of the core out, they have deconstructed it...

In addition to the increased vulnerability many people feel about spending time downtown, and despite what "stats" may indicate (peoples' feelings are real); it definitely seems as though CoV officials want to destroy much of what has made the city special in pursuit of "social justice" and their version of how the world should be.

• Love the rock likes this

#984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:03 AM

Don't you dare go there.

Virtue signalling does not protect people facing danger, or solve the issues confronting our society.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#985 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

I'm sorry, if anyone thinks that putting a ribbon down Government is somehow going to magically change the place into a successful center they are dreaming. Heck even Loveday was all excited about the urban precinct of Govt St, he has no idea about the rents paid there, the impact of focusing attention on 3 blocks to the detriment of other areas of the town etc.

How does a ribbon impact business on Fort St? Pandora? Store? All those areas are congregation points for drugs, crime, panhandling, theft, vandalism etc. CoV is fiddling while the City is disintegrating and they think a few parklets, bike lanes, road closures and now a ribbon will make a difference....the financial survival of this city is not based on a few coffee shops and a couple of hipsters riding their bikes down to MEC and then to a pub for a craft brew.

The BC Govt just announce the opening of the Westshore workspace...its only the beginning and CoV did SFA to counter that except make it harder to commute from the outer communities to the core...they are being left behind and they dont have a clue. Apart from Young and Andrew the rest have no clue. What life experience do they bring to the table that they could apply to the economics of a City?

Not one of them would even get an interview for a management job in a private business and yet we entrust them with a several hundred million $ budget????

Are we insane?

• LJ, grantpalin, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:10 AM

...the financial survival of this city is not based on a few coffee shops and a couple of hipsters riding their bikes down to MEC and then to a pub for a craft brew...

:thumbsup:

• mbjj likes this

#987 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

Rumour (unconfirmed at this point) is that MEC is looking to move, probably to West Shore when their lease is up. The new owners are pretty good business people.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#988 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

...What life experience do they bring to the table that they could apply to the economics of a City?...

If you offer enough (socially-distanced and consensual) hugs and apologies for one's great-great grandparents alleged wrongdoings, the economics will take care of themselves.

• rjag likes this

#989 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

Rumour (unconfirmed at this point) is that MEC is looking to move, probably to West Shore when their lease is up. The new owners are pretty good business people.

You have got to be kidding me. Do we know any more on that front?

Know it all.

#990 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:22 AM

Sorry Mike heard that from a certain agent who is doing some scouting. I cannot verify this from corporate at this point. Will update but not a real surprise considering MEC balance sheet when they were bought. May be far from a done deal and truthfully I was a bit worried that they would close Victoria down altogether. 

Edited by Barrrister, 21 February 2021 - 10:30 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#991 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

Ok, I’ll see if I can dig any further into this.

Know it all.

#992 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:42 AM

I think it still has to feel like a street. Bastion Square feels too much like a park. The buildings seem out of place, untethered, plunked around the perimeter. Almost like a theme park. 

#993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:09 AM

Bastion Square is intimidating by night now; it becomes a dead zone after 5PM. There are multiple alleys leading into it and you have to watch your back, or at least you feel like there’s vulnerability there by night. When the nightclub operated there was a lot of activity in the evenings but now it’s a sketchy thoroughfare connecting Reeson Park and empty voids along the waterfront.

Know it all.

#994 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:21 PM

I live on Pandora, half a block from Our Place, and I walk around Downtown by myself day and night, everyday. I've never once had anything remotely close to resembling an assault or threat of violence. I have 7 other friends who live in the building, including several women in their early 20s. None of them have ever had a problem. What are we all doing differently? I've seen people having a mental health crisis, wandering around screaming, but it's the kind of thing you hear from a block away and can easily avoid. I'm not saying people haven't been assaulted Downtown, and we do clearly need to do more to deal with the problems that do exist, but I really don't agree that Downtown is so scary that it needs to be avoided at all costs. There are so many interesting shops and restaurants that you're missing out on and I think the supposed danger is overblown. I've had scarier experiences walking around outside of Downtown than I have in Downtown. To me, walking through Bastion Square at night feels so much safer than say, walking around Tillicum or along the Lochside Trail near Quadra/McKenzie at night.

• Rob Randall and gstc84 like this

#995 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

I'm sorry, if anyone thinks that putting a ribbon down Government is somehow going to magically change the place into a successful center they are dreaming. Heck even Loveday was all excited about the urban precinct of Govt St, he has no idea about the rents paid there, the impact of focusing attention on 3 blocks to the detriment of other areas of the town etc.

How does a ribbon impact business on Fort St? Pandora? Store? All those areas are congregation points for drugs, crime, panhandling, theft, vandalism etc. CoV is fiddling while the City is disintegrating and they think a few parklets, bike lanes, road closures and now a ribbon will make a difference....the financial survival of this city is not based on a few coffee shops and a couple of hipsters riding their bikes down to MEC and then to a pub for a craft brew.

The ribbon thing is not actually happening. It's just a conceptual drawing of one way to reimagine the street. Aryze just drew it up to get people thinking outside the box, and said they aren't formally submitting their design. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#996 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

I live on Pandora, half a block from Our Place, and I walk around Downtown by myself day and night, everyday. I've never once had anything remotely close to resembling an assault or threat of violence. I have 7 other friends who live in the building, including several women in their early 20s. None of them have ever had a problem. What are we all doing differently? I've seen people having a mental health crisis, wandering around screaming, but it's the kind of thing you hear from a block away and can easily avoid. I'm not saying people haven't been assaulted Downtown, and we do clearly need to do more to deal with the problems that do exist, but I really don't agree that Downtown is so scary that it needs to be avoided at all costs. There are so many interesting shops and restaurants that you're missing out on and I think the supposed danger is overblown. I've had scarier experiences walking around outside of Downtown than I have in Downtown. To me, walking through Bastion Square at night feels so much safer than say, walking around Tillicum or along the Lochside Trail near Quadra/McKenzie at night.

This poor fellow did our roof.  Stabbings and other assaults are becoming commonplace downtown.  That is why people don't want to go down there.  It's turning into a ghetto.  

“We were going from one bar to the next. We were both new to the area,” said Mackean, who just moved to Victoria a month ago. “We obviously went the wrong way and ended up in that Centennial Square.”

While walking through, he was attacked.

“It was out of nowhere. The guy pulled out a knife or a box cutter and went for my face or throat area, and I got my hands up and it cut straight across my wrist,” said Mackean recalling the night he and his friend were surrounded by a group of strangers.

With three slashed arteries and over 10 severed tendons, doctors told Mackean, who is a roofer, he may never work again.

https://www.cheknews...k-again-700058/

#997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:32 PM

The most recent evening I was downtown, as I got off the bus there was a large group of youth excited about someone. It was the sort of pent up emotion before a brawl with people talking tough etc. Then later on VicPD put out a request for witnesses after an assault (stabbing?) in Bastion Square at the hands of a group of youth. The incident happened at around 6:30PM (they weren’t sure exactly when), right around the time I arrived downtown and saw that group.

Could it have been the same group? Maybe. But it was intimidating as heck standing at the light waiting to cross Douglas as the crowd was working itself up into a frenzy.

A week later there was that incident in Cenote where a man walked in, bit a patron and assaulted staff. When I was downtown on the night of the Bastion Square incident I was at Yates Taphouse across the street from Cenote so the immediate reaction was “wow, that could have easily been a week earlier, and at the place across the street where I was.”

So when former downtown residents and life long Victoria guys like me start to lose the feeling of safety, that hopefully resonates with officialdom. If not, well so be it. I’m going to do my part by keeping the pressure on and not allowing my voice to be disregarded as out of sync with someone else’s reality.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

Know it all.

#998 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:43 PM

I can't recall the last unprovoked serious injury or murder Downtown. You may have to remind me.

Hmm. Two weeks ago, Bastion Sq. Person stabbed, life altering injuries.

Thank goodness for social media or else you would never hear about it.

• Nparker, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#999 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

You mean like the one Aryze already presented?

$20 says Aryze gets it and the rfp is just for the aura of transparency...

#1000 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

I was out downtown tonight, like I am most nights. Government Street, Bastion Square, Trounce Alley. Lot of people out. No issues. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users