Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1001 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:30 PM

I was out downtown tonight, like I am most nights. Government Street, Bastion Square, Trounce Alley. Lot of people out. No issues. 

Are we at a stage that we have to report a single night of no major issues as a win?

• Nparker, rjag, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1002 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:58 AM

A lot of people out last night, on a Sunday in a torrential downpour? We had more rain between 6 and 8PM last night than we do in a full day, and downtown was bumpin’?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1003 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:42 AM

$20 says Aryze gets it and the rfp is just for the aura of transparency...

We already went on CTV news and said we aren’t going to be submitting anything, but nice try!
  • Mike K., Brantastic, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#1004 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:49 AM

A lot of people out last night, on a Sunday in a torrential downpour? We had more rain between 6 and 8PM last night than we do in a full day, and downtown was bumpin’?

That’s what I was thinking. No way.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:54 AM

Well, for what it's worth, it's a shame that Aryze's proposal won't be in the running.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1006 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

No proposals should be in the running. WE CAN'T AFFORD THIS!

• mbjj likes this

#1007 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

That’s what I was thinking. No way.

Not a lot by "sunny July day with three cruise ships in town" standards, no. But the idea that no one goes downtown anymore because it is unsafe and unseemly is frequently overstated on VV, given that people continue to buy condos and move downtown, and even on a rainy night in February during a pandemic the Tapa Bar was full and lots of people were out and about.

#1008 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

...even on a rainy night in February during a pandemic the Tapa Bar was full and lots of people were out and about.

Shark jump alert.

Anyways, thousands of people live downtown, and I assume many will want to step out for dinner. That's a bit different than people going downtown? But the point I think others are making is too many people are feeling vulnerable when they go downtown, and we shouldn't dismiss them, we should want local authorities to make them feel comfortable again.

Know it all.

#1009 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

Oh we definitely need a new council, and to enforce existing bylaws. And Beacon Hill Park is a travesty. But it's also OK to acknowledge that it isn't actually some post-apocalyptic nightmare downtown. 

• jrm likes this

#1010 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

Well, for what it's worth, it's a shame that Aryze's proposal won't be in the running.

I am sure that they will have a proposal and my bet is that it gets selected :-) I don't believe that companies bidding have to submit any design ideas however. 

Edited by spanky123, 22 February 2021 - 10:00 AM.

#1011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

I don't think anybody is saying that, but we are saying downtown Victoria is hurting, and that far too many life-long Victorians are avoiding it. That's not good.

• Greg and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#1012 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:00 AM

I agree that it is not a nightmare downtown but it is unpleasant enough to keep my wife and I from spending any money there . It is not a good trajectory for downtown at the moment.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#1013 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:13 AM

...we definitely need a new council, and to enforce existing bylaws. And Beacon Hill Park is a travesty.

...it isn't actually some post-apocalyptic nightmare downtown. 

Without the former, the latter seems inevitable.

#1014 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

... far too many life-long Victorians are avoiding it...

I know I am (40+ years living in the CRD)

• pennymurphy2000 and jrm like this

#1015 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:00 PM

I am sure that they will have a proposal and my bet is that it gets selected :-) I don't believe that companies bidding have to submit any design ideas however. 

Wtf? How many times do we have to say it, we aren't responding to this RFP at all.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1016 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Wtf? How many times do we have to say it, we aren't responding to this RFP at all.

I thought you said you were not submitting a design. The RFP doesn't require a design.

Thanks for the clarification though.

• PPPdev likes this

#1017 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:24 PM

I live on Pandora, half a block from Our Place, and I walk around Downtown by myself day and night, everyday. I've never once had anything remotely close to resembling an assault or threat of violence. I have 7 other friends who live in the building, including several women in their early 20s. None of them have ever had a problem. What are we all doing differently? I've seen people having a mental health crisis, wandering around screaming, but it's the kind of thing you hear from a block away and can easily avoid. I'm not saying people haven't been assaulted Downtown, and we do clearly need to do more to deal with the problems that do exist, but I really don't agree that Downtown is so scary that it needs to be avoided at all costs. There are so many interesting shops and restaurants that you're missing out on and I think the supposed danger is overblown. I've had scarier experiences walking around outside of Downtown than I have in Downtown. To me, walking through Bastion Square at night feels so much safer than say, walking around Tillicum or along the Lochside Trail near Quadra/McKenzie at night.

If you are a fit, capable man then you probably perceive threats differently than someone who isn't.

• mbjj likes this

#1018 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:59 PM

So it would seem the RFP is timed with the Government Street south bike lane design consultation. CoV recently updated the engage.victoria.ca website with the James Bay routes. The design work in the RFP will connect the bike lanes on either end.

#1019 Urbanpioneer

Urbanpioneer
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

Why can't the homeless , residents,settlers, housies and tourists all co- exist downtown? Instead of being afraid of the homeless boogy man embrace the quirky side of Victoria people! why not have the homeless as ambassadors to the city when the cruise ships start returning? Don't push us down into the gutters let us all thrive!

#1020 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:10 PM

Why can't the homeless , residents,settlers, housies and tourists all co- exist downtown?

You mean go back to the way it was ~25 years ago before the exploitative political machinations went into overdrive?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users