Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2241 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Leftists are much, much better at organizing a protest than the rest of us. That's for damn sure.

You have lots of time when you are unemployed and collecting social service payments.

#2242 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Well, these protests are largely organized, planned and staged by paid professionals as a part of multi million dollar campaigns run by well financed NGOs.

#2243 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

^Or George Soros, Tides Foundation etc.

• jonny likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2244 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:09 AM

Well, these protests are largely organized, planned and staged by paid professionals as a part of multi million dollar campaigns run by well financed NGOs.

The term of the day is "rage actors". People who are paid to aggressively protest whatever cause the sponsors wish to promote.

• jonny likes this

#2245 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

Leftists are much, much better at organizing a protest than the rest of us. That's for damn sure.

Leftists like the Zalm protesting against the HST?

#2246 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

That was primarily backed by the left. Bill Tieleman was as vocal as the Zalm and every leftist special interest group was behind it
  • jonny likes this

#2247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

Yet the leftists in Ontario quietly brought theirs in.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2248 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Vander Zalm filed FOI requests asking for government files related to chemtrails. CHEMTRAILS. 

He also has gone on record stating that he believes smart meters are a way for the government to covertly watch us all. 

Despite being a Social Credit Premier in the 80's, who knows what he stands for these days. The guy's clearly an old loon. 

• rjag, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#2249 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Vander Zalm filed FOI requests asking for government files related to chemtrails. CHEMTRAILS. 

He also has gone on record stating that he believes smart meters are a way for the government to covertly watch us all. 

Despite being a Social Credit Premier in the 80's, who knows what he stands for these days. The guy's clearly an old loon.

Yeah you don’t quite have the same credibility at 83 .
  • jonny likes this

#2250 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

Apparently the NDP have pulled or are going to pull Vancouver out of the 2026 World Cup bid. 

So less than a year in and we have two new taxes, an increase in income taxes and now they're against fun. 

• rjag likes this

#2251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

And working as hard as they possibly can to get us into an energy crisis.
  • rjag and jonny like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2252 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

Parksville, as an example, has bylaws preventing long term rentals (ie more than 6 months) in some areas. 

Can you point to any of these bylaws? I have not seen any in searching through the City of Parksville website. This definitely sounds not true, so I'm curious to see the actual bylaw that says you cannot rent a property for more than 6 months in a certain area of Parksville.

#2253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Apparently the NDP have pulled or are going to pull Vancouver out of the 2026 World Cup bid. 

So less than a year in and we have two new taxes, an increase in income taxes and now they're against fun. 

http://vancouversun....a-world-cup-bid

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2254 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

It's interesting for sure, but at this point the North America bid is not the favorite to win. Morocco has the edge according to most insiders.

So to be fair, the NDP killed the Commonwealth Games bid for Victoria when they saw that it was not realistic, and now they are considering the same for Vancouver at the 2026 FIFA World Cup bid. Hard to commend them for one while blasting them for the other.

#2255 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Can you point to any of these bylaws? I have not seen any in searching through the City of Parksville website. This definitely sounds not true, so I'm curious to see the actual bylaw that says you cannot rent a property for more than 6 months in a certain area of Parksville.

It's for hotels and resort condos in the "Resort Area Tourist Accommodation Zone," so purpose-built tourist accommodation (hotels, B&Bs, resort condos, etc.)

• shoeflack likes this

#2256 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Based on what I've seen in the past couple of years as it relates to the financing of special, and large sporting events ... the era of the "blank cheque" support from different levels of government is definitely over.

Although very different from the special events I've been involved in in decades past, it seems to me to be prudent in 2018 for different levels of government to require an accurate "quote" from those seeking funds for their special events.

It seems B.C. isn't saying "no" exactly ... but they are saying "give us a total dollar figure, and don't come back for more".

It would seem too that one of the biggest cost centre changes these event planners have to deal with is event security, which was definitely a component of the 80's and 90's special events, but was then a dim (and relatively inexpensive) shadow compared to the massive (and incredibly expensive) event security requirements of 2018.

#2257 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

It's for hotels and resort condos in the "Resort Area Tourist Accommodation Zone," so purpose-built tourist accommodation (hotels, B&Bs, resort condos, etc.)

Ah yes, I see it now. RA-1, RA-2A, and MWC-1...so just the Bellstar and Oceanside Village Resort it looks like. Time shares.

#2258 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

It would seem too that one of the biggest cost centre changes these event planners have to deal with is event security, which was definitely a component of the 80's and 90's special events, but was then a dim (and relatively inexpensive) shadow compared to the massive (and incredibly expensive) event security requirements of 2018.

I'm not entirely convinced security has to be so tight.  Or at least has to be composed of security professionals like police, RCMP and military.  If all you are doing is venue and venue perimeter security I don't know what it can't be done with more volunteers.  We are talking about 5 games for Vancouver, max.  Or 20 hours of events.  And 8 years to plan/recruit/build.  At best the 10 teams should be travelling with 30-40 athletes and support staff each.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 March 2018 - 01:33 PM.

#2259 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Edmonton's bid team estimated a cost of $35-55 million to each host city, depending on the number of cities splitting the 10 games. One of the big expenses might be converting all of the pitches to grass instead of artificial turf. We had permission from FIFA to use artificial turf for the Women's cup in 2015, but the complaints from players were loud and many, so FIFA may reconsider.

#2260 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

I'm not entirely convinced security has to be so tight.  Or at least has to be composed of security professionals like police, RCMP and military.  If all you are doing is venue and venue perimeter security I don't know what it can't be done with more volunteers.  We are talking about 5 games for Vancouver, max.  Or 20 hours of events.  And 8 years to plan/recruit/build.  At best the 10 teams should be travelling with 30-40 athletes and support staff each.

I agree, but I believe the security requirements are laid out as an integral part of the bid documents ... non-negotiable with no wiggle room for the local folks to look for less expensive options.

It's probably safe to say the FIFA folks would expect the Canadian security component to be every bit the equal of that put forth by the U.S. and Mexico.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users