Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2321 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

They are chopping down forest for housing. That is the very definition of urban fringe. Esquimalt or Oak Bay would be streetcar and inner ring suburbs.

But the COV was always a barren wasteland just waiting for something to be built, right?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2322 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

But you prove the point, look there is no reason a new house should cost over $500K. I got a friend that builds them. He even tells me this. It's just the market and the land are so over inflated because of... who knows what. But IF you could keep building and still make a profit at $400K why not. The same reason why prices go up in the grocery store when there is a shortage of something, then supply returns but the prices just don't quite go back down to what they were. They figured out they could sell it at the higher price.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2323 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

Houses still get built in markets that are not "Red hot"

#2324 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

But the COV was always a barren wasteland just waiting for something to be built, right?

No. At one point, the urban fringe was Saanich and before that Oak Bay & Esquimalt. And Saanich used to have Langford's massively pro-growth agenda (which is why Central Saanich exists, they split off in 1950 because of it).

#2325 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

No. At one point, the urban fringe was Saanich and before that Oak Bay & Esquimalt. And Saanich used to have Langford's massively pro-growth agenda (which is why Central Saanich exists, they split off in 1950 because of it).

So it was necessary for Victoria to chop all the trees down but it wasteful for Westshore to do it. Got it.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2326 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

Yes, it's only urban sprawl if it happens after you were born or moved to the city.  If houses existed before that, then it's just the way it always was.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2327 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

Yes, it's only urban sprawl if it happens after you were born or moved to the city.  If houses existed before that, then it's just the way it always was.

Are you telling me the Coast Salish didn't first settle in Victoria because of the quaint colonial architecture and the year-round golf courses?

#2328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

And fast forwarding 100 years that urban footprint has extended eight kilometers to the west as the bird flies from the border of Esquimalt, with about 1.5 kilometers of that distance being Esquimalt Harbour.

What are we even fretting about? Bear Mountain is 12km as the bird flies from downtown Victoria. You can't even get from one end of the City of Vancouver to the other in 16km. And it's literally the same distance (but over land without a harbour in the way) from downtown Nanaimo to Woodgrove Centre and nobody bats an eye.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2329 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Most successful businesses want to maximize profits, that is a tenent of the free market economy. Although I have in the past predicted that prices could drop, the best I see happening now is a flattening of growth. The reason for the change in opinion is that there are so many large markets now with prices far in excess of what they are here that well priced inventory will get snapped up quickly for the foreseeable future by people who could move here and still pocket a small fortune.

#2330 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:13 PM

Krog wins in Nanaimo.

#2331 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Mike this thread should be locked down and a 2018 BC municipal created.

#2332 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

Krog wins in Nanaimo.

And I immediately got an email from Michelle Stilwell about ramping up for a byelection. Too bad they have zero chance of winning it. #inbeforethelock

#2333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

This is the provincial election thread. Please post 2018 municipal election-related posts in the appropriate thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2334 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

I suppose you could argue it is on topic now that I think of it.

#2335 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

That’s what I figuring. Krog winning Nanaimo will now trigger a provincial byelection that could change the provincial government again.

Edited by jessief, 20 October 2018 - 08:47 PM.

• nagel likes this

#2336 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

That’s what I figuring. Krog winning Nanaimo will now trigger a provincial byelection that could change the provincial government again.

First of all, the by-election can be held aways down the road.   Second, he does not need to resign as an MLA at all and could stay on for some time.    One of the BC Liberal cabinet ministers remained a mayor and MLA for more than a year.  Third, this is a safe NDP seat, in the current political climate there is nothing to indicate the NDP would not easily win re-election

#2337 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:50 PM

^ that's basically the analysis I got too. Now, if Plecas hadn't jumped ship for the extra cash of the Speaker role...

#2338 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

^ that's basically the analysis I got too. Now, if Plecas hadn't jumped ship for the extra cash of the Speaker role...

The interesting thing is that Plecas is not from the NDP or the Greens and has no reason to bend the rules for the government.    Without Krog the legislature is tied and the speaker votes to maintain the status quo - no new laws can be passed.

I assume Krog will not resign till the fall session is done and the NDP will immediately call a by-election to ensure they have a new MLA before the house sits again in February.   In BC there is no legal requirement reason someone cannot be on a local government council and an MLA.   The Liberal MLA Peter Fassbender did this in 2013 when he decided not to resign as mayor Langley and served out his term to 2014

#2339 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

I looked at the numbers, and it does not look like it will be tied without Krog. It looks like it would be tied only if the Liberals take Krog's seat.

#2340 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

I looked at the numbers, and it does not look like it will be tied without Krog. It looks like it would be tied only if the Liberals take Krog's seat.

Correct, the Liberals currently have 42 seats, the GreeNDP have 44, including Krog. That changes to 42/43 without Krog, and 43/43 with a Liberal win in Nanaimo.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users