2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2521 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

'Going to be a bleak winter': B.C. forest industry facing uncertain future as mills close across province

https://nationalpost...across-province

‘Rustad said on a visit to Campbell River a car dealer told him he repossessed 10 vehicles from forestry workers who were out of work. One laid-off worker asked him if he could keep his vehicle until Christmas and sold the dealer a load of firewood to make a payment, Rustad said.

On Vancouver Island, where Mosaic Forest Management announced an early winter shutdown of timber harvesting operations, 2,000 people are out of work indefinitely.‘

The left is too busy with extinction rebellions and giving 16 year olds voting rights to care about these workers.

Thats terrible. I agree, it looks like the NDP and their sycophants have their heads in the sand. Maybe they'll suggest funding to build some bike lanes for those folks whose cars have been repo'd 

#2522 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Queesto has shut down operations along the Highway 14 corridor. It's not clear if this is seasonal, weather-related, or also tied in with what's happening further north up-Island. I'll try to get more info but this is the first time I've heard of Queesto shutting down its ops.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2523 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Andrew Weaver leaves B.C. Green Party to sit as independent

Former B.C. Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver is leaving the party to sit as an independent MLA starting Jan. 20.

It is believed health issues in his family are behind the decision.

According to a party source, the move will have no immediate impact on the balance of power in the B.C. Legislature because Weaver intends to honour the confidence-and-supply agreement the Greens have to support the minority NDP government.

On Jan. 6, Weaver stepped down as B.C. Green Party leader after a reported health scare.

The 58-year-old will continue to represent his riding of Oak Bay-Gordon Head in Victoria.

#2524 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

^ I guess that he really wants to be the only king maker now!

• Nparker likes this

#2525 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

i don't understand this move.  until i hear more.  even if he has health issues surely the party understands a decreased workload without leaving the party. 

something seems off here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 January 2020 - 10:00 AM.

• rjag, Bernard, John M. and 1 other like this

#2526 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:45 AM

i don't understand this move.  until i hear more.  even if he has health issues surely the party understands a decreased workload without leaving the party. 

something seems off here.

January 14, 2020

Gas pipeline will be built despite protests, Horgan says

Dirk Meissner The Canadian Press

JANUARY 14, 2020 07:48 AM

January 15, 2020

Former party leader Andrew Weaver quits Green caucus, will sit as independent

Times Colonist

JANUARY 15, 2020 09:26 AM

Edited by VIResident, 15 January 2020 - 10:46 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2527 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

so you are perhaps inferring that weaver wanted to stand up and challenge the ndp maybe even cause the government to fail and the other green mlas did not agree.

• Bernard likes this

#2528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:39 AM

I can’t help but think he is planning to stand against the NDP and bring down Government. The Greens didn’t want to be blamed, so he walked? It’s all rather strange. Now both the federal and provincial Green leadership has stepped aside. Are the parties on a different trajectory than they were a decade ago?

With two MLAs they still hold party status, btw.

Meanwhile chatter of a possible provincial election began weeks ago, for ‘no reason.’ Now we know word had likely begun to spread about Weaver and the potential for an election suddenly looked very real.
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2529 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

Weaver would have to lead a fight against NDP on pipeline that Horgan announced would simply go ahead despite protests.  Weaver would trigger election - not a good time for that for the Greens anyway. 

Les Leyne: In search of clues to why Andrew Weaver is leaving the Green Party

There was one overlooked clue to his move.

In a year-end interview with Maclean Kay, of the online Orca political journal, Weaver laid his cards on the table.

“The day I am no longer leader, I will go non-partisan. I didn’t join a party until I was a member of the Green Party, and I will resign my membership.”

In the same interview, he vented a degree of frustration with the party that he propelled into the legislature. “It’s really been really tough with the Green Party,” Weaver said. “Probably, the most difficult part is the level of political naivety. I see it all the time as I see these incredibly well-meaning Green supporters on Twitter who are … I mean, it’s a lovely level of naivety. It’s lovely. I mean, it’s lovely in that I wish there was more of this, but it’s a bit like the Christians being fed to the lions.”

https://www.timescol...arty-1.24053835

Edited by VIResident, 16 January 2020 - 06:38 AM.

• rjag likes this

#2530 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:21 AM

yup, not surprised that he quit. The Greens are morphing into hard core eco-marxists, its not so much about the environment anymore as much as its about a new world order.

I hope he brings the govt down as the NDP will win a majority and the Greens will be cast out into the wilderness. And I dont vote NDP but what I am seeing is that our Province needs a strong majority Govt to get on with it and not be held hostage to the whims of small eco fringe groups

• Nparker likes this

#2531 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Govt to get on with it and not be held hostage to the whims of small eco fringe groups

Yeah I agree. I think in many ways, Horgan is a "brown" New Democrat: If he was leader in 2013, the party probably never would have come out against TMX, or at least not as strongly. An NDP majority in 2021 might work in the Greens favour long-term, however.

#2532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

I've never heard the term brown NDP. Can you elaborate, John?

Know it all.

#2533 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

orange (ndp) and blue (conservative colour) make brown.

#2534 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

There's no real overlap in those two. Trying to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal inevitably clashes when it comes to $$$.

#2535 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

Or grey.

Know it all.

#2536 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Orange (NDP) and Green (Green) also makes brown.

Orange (NDP) and Red (Liberals) also makes brown.

So it the idea that Horgan is some sort of mega hybrid of all parties?

#2537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:01 AM

Horgan is 49% BC Liberal. That's why he's a relatively well-liked Premier.

Know it all.

#2538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

Orange (NDP) and Green (Green) also makes brown.

Orange (NDP) and Red (Liberals) also makes brown.

So it the idea that Horgan is some sort of mega hybrid of all parties?

orange and red does not make brown.

somebody is not a watercolour artist.

#2539 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

orange and red does not make brown.

somebody is not a watercolour artist.

They make red-orange, a family within which lives many shades that most people would refer to as "brown". Colours like burnt orange, rust, etc. Don't question my art skills!!!

#2540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

And you guys are complaining about travel time calculations?

Good grief, we've got it good here.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users