Yes, they stated the interim leader could not run for the leadership

That seems like an odd rule to me.

#2562 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:45 AM

That seems like an odd rule to me.

A lot of political parties have this rule, the idea is that the interim leader continues the day to day operation of the party and is not distracted by running in the race.   It gives the media someone to go to during a leadership race that is not involved.  As an example of other doing this, the federal Conservatives have the same rule which in 2017 meant that Lisa Raitt could not run for leader

#2563 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

Also, an interim leader would have the power to affect a leadership race, so there is a conflict of interest question should an interim leader be allowed to run for permanent leadership.

It only looks really odd in this case because the party is so freaking small in terms of elected representatives.

• Nparker and Bernard like this

#2564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

So is someone about to announce their candidacy for the BC Green Party leadership?

interesting.  she'd be a terrible leader.

Terrible or not, she's running: https://www.iheartra...ship-1.10505527

#2565 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

I would be very surprised if anyone else where to come forward to challenge her

#2566 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

I will forecast right now that the Greens will lose Weavers seat and likely Furstenaus seat as well.

Anyone want to take me up on a bet, lets say lunch?

#2567 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Also, an interim leader would have the power to affect a leadership race, so there is a conflict of interest question should an interim leader be allowed to run for permanent leadership.

It only looks really odd in this case because the party is so freaking small in terms of elected representatives.

of course the interim leader - or any political party leader - need not be elected or hold a seat.

#2568 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:36 PM

I will forecast right now that the Greens will lose Weavers seat and likely Furstenaus seat as well.

i think a lot will depend on how the next election is called/triggered.

• rjag likes this

#2569 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

In the past I would have been happy, but there is so little useful data out there (and I have retired from being actively involved with politics).  I would not hazard a bet as to what will happen in the next election.    My best guess is that the NDP wins a majority though not a large one, Wilkinson is the wrong leader for the Liberals to have in a campaign against John Horgan.

Now as to the Oak Bay Gordon Head riding - I do not think the NDP can win it but I do not see a strong potential candidate from the Liberals.   I have no idea who will win that one.

• rjag likes this

#2570 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

i think a lot will depend on how the next election is called/triggered.

maybe they can get that wolf to run now that it's in an up-island seat.  and has left oak bay - gordon head.

5ca102ed6a27b87257708fcc729647f5.gif

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 07:32 PM.

• Nparker and Bernard like this

#2571 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:21 PM

My prediction: Fursteneau wins. Unlike Weaver, she makes pulling the plug on LNG and pushing back against the Coastal GasLink a condition of her continued support for the government. Horgan calls her bluff and allows an election in the autumn. Fursteneau loses her seat to the NDP, and the Greens lose Weaver's seat to the BC Liberals. Adam Olsen is the only one left and as a one-seat crossbench caucus in a majority parliament, doesn't get half the media the Greens get now. 

• rjag likes this

#2572 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

That does sound like a best case scenario John M.

#2573 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

Or worst case, depending on your perspective :)

#2574 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

My prediction: Fursteneau wins. Unlike Weaver, she makes pulling the plug on LNG and pushing back against the Coastal GasLink a condition of her continued support for the government. Horgan calls her bluff and allows an election in the autumn. Fursteneau loses her seat to the NDP, and the Greens lose Weaver's seat to the BC Liberals. Adam Olsen is the only one left and as a one-seat crossbench caucus in a majority parliament, doesn't get half the media the Greens get now. 

And Weaver is forever remembered as the guy who blew the Green's shot at the big leagues

#2575 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

A little birdie brought this twitter exchange to my attention. Weaver doesn’t hold back in his criticism of Furstenau, who says she’d love the idea of a four day work week.

What’s interesting is Weaver’s response is not unlike the response we see in the community to various CoV motions, which are not challenged to the degree we see here.

Furstenau wrote: After news broke about PM Jacinda Ardern's support for the #4dayworkweek, I spoke with @CBCTanya yesterday about my agreement that this is something #BC needs to explore. What do you think about a 4 day work week?

To which Weaver responded: This is an absolutely kooky idea. We aren't New Zealand. U clearly haven't thought this through as it's far more complicated than just a few sound bites & a tweet. Perhaps u should do background research before shooting from the hip. Classic decision-based evidence-making #bcpoli

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2576 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

What's so unique about New Zealand that Weaver's in a tizzy about? Is a New Zealand financial trust company vastly different that one in BC? Sure, there are potential downsides to a four-day week and it is not right for every workplace. But for some it seems to work well. Weaver needs to cool his jets.

#2577 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,331 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:48 AM

for almost all government functions - or businesses highly integrated with government business - it’s probably fine.

for private business it’s up to them. do I care if my accountant or lawyer takes Fridays off? I might. I might not.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#2578 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:12 AM

What's so unique about New Zealand that Weaver's in a tizzy about? Is a New Zealand financial trust company vastly different that one in BC? Sure, there are potential downsides to a four-day week and it is not right for every workplace. But for some it seems to work well. Weaver needs to cool his jets.

My interpretation is that he's sick of Furstenau playing populist politics without any supporting data. She makes these pronouncements but has no background support. Its like when she pushed for lowering the voting age to 16..its populist and appeals to certain groups with certain ideology.

The 4 day week can come in many forms but the one she implies is a 32 hour week. Most employers wont go for that especially Mon-Fri employers as they don't want the added burden of hiring and training part-time employees. Its far more likely to work in public institutions where the taxpayer will pick up the added costs unwittingly.

The only real proper 4 day week is a 4 on 4 off scenario of 10-12 hour days and roving days off. When folks hear that they wont have a constant 'weekend' of Fri-Sun but more likely have to work 2 out of 4 weekends then it will die a fast death...add the 10-12 hour days and its done. 

Keep in mind most employees are working for small businesses

Edited by rjag, 24 May 2020 - 08:16 AM.

#2579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:21 AM

What’s particularly interesting are the comments calling Weaver a BC Lib in hiding, or a Conservative.

Councillor Isitt routinely criticizes opposition to his ideas as coming from the alt-right, or the right wing of politics.

So if Andrew Weaver is hardcore right wing, as he’s being labelled after his exchange with Furstenau, can we agree how absurd that assertion is when it lobbed any time someone disagrees with a progressive idea or agenda item?

Politics in 2020 is pathetic. Grown men and women hide behind idiotic taunts or labels, and when faced with something they don’t want to hear they de-list/dehumanize the individual.
  • rjag, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2580 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

What’s particularly interesting are the comments calling Weaver a BC Lib in hiding, or a Conservative.

Councillor Isitt routinely criticizes opposition to his ideas as coming from the alt-right, or the right wing of politics.

So if Andrew Weaver is hardcore right wing, as he’s being labelled after his exchange with Furstenau, can we agree how absurd that assertion is when it lobbed any time someone disagrees with a progressive idea or agenda item?

Politics in 2020 is pathetic. Grown men and women hide behind idiotic taunts or labels, and when faced with something they don’t want to hear they de-list/dehumanize the individual.

Yup, if you disagree with a position its the standard 'go-to' to name call, make dismissive comments and shout the other person into silence. We are all guilty of it, we all need to try harder to respectfully disagree and lay out actual reasons why....not just call someone a #Scheeridiot etc 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users