2617 replies to this topic

#2581 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Weaver doubled down with this next comment

https://twitter.com/...3557984258?s=20

My former colleagues & were afraid to stand up to the BC NDP wrt to the LNG development. I was ready to go to election, but in my opinion, they were more interested in re-election than they were about standing up for principles.

Something must have happened behind the scenes as this type of dirty laundry being aired in public is unheard of. 

#2582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

Indeed, totally unheard of.

Weaver has put Olsen and Furstenau on the defensive now. I’m very curious to hear what they have to say about their decision to back the NDP.

Furstenau has aspirations to become party leader, does she not?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

watch vaughn palmer for info:

https://twitter.com/vaughnpalmer

#2584 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:41 AM

The other half likely to spill in coming months.  Ugly stuff. 

#2585 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

Yes. Very ugly stuff. It's rare to air such inner conflict among any party, about current members. And from the former leader. It's discouraging for those who felt the BC Greens were a genuine alternative to the old line parties. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:16 AM

May steps down, Weaver steps down, Michael Moore airs a documentary exposing the weak business cases and questionable “green” tech industries, Weaver throws shade on Furstenau and Olsen for pushing agendas not based on reality.

This is literally the gift of a century for the federal Liberal Party, to firmly take on the most fundamental aspects of the Green Party platform and win over the realists, leaving the social justice side of the party to figure out how to be relevant in an indebted society focused on jobs and money making resources as it rebuilds its economy.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2587 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

news story.

https://www.timescol...oval-1.24140703

adds nothing. it’s just a story about the tweets. no interviews with any of the people tweeting or those named in the tweets.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#2588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:25 AM

Aren’t you glad you paid for that?

Know it all.

#2589 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:11 AM

Mike Smyth interviews Furstenau and Weaver:

https://omny.fm/show...ing-catastrophe

Weaver comes off as a little bit of a Mansplainer. 

The fact is, a four-day week is simply an interesting idea that's worth exploring, just like BC electoral reform or harmonized sales tax. Maybe it's great, maybe it's a failure or before its time. But there's no harm in putting it out there for discussion.

#2590 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

If a 4 day shows an improvement in productivity as Furstenau states, imagine what 3 day work week would show, 2 days would be off the chart.

If you pay every employee hourly you would find most are good with a 5 day work week.

Edited by LJ, 26 May 2020 - 07:45 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2591 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:23 AM

The whole 4 day work week is about as effective as promoting lowering the voting age to 16. Its populist politics at play appealing to a vote block that will consider her leadership.
That’s the only reason she is promoting this and Weaver is calling her out for it. It may work in public sector jobs where the added costs are borne by taxpayers ie the faux Flex Friday’s etc but would be a financial and logistical burden to the majority of small businesses that employ most private sector workers
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#2592 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

My office switched to a 4-day work week about a year ago. It's been fantastic. Mind you, my bosses adjusted our hourly wage to ensure we'd have the same take home pay as under the 5 day plan. The benefits of working for near-retirees who don't feel the need to dick over their employees for a spare buck.

~ Jasmine ~

#2593 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:28 AM

The whole 4 day work week is about as effective as promoting lowering the voting age to 16. Its populist politics at play appealing to a vote block that will consider her leadership.
That’s the only reason she is promoting this and Weaver is calling her out for it. It may work in public sector jobs where the added costs are borne by taxpayers ie the faux Flex Friday’s etc but would be a financial and logistical burden to the majority of small businesses that employ most private sector workers

What added costs would be borne by taxpayers in a 4 day work week scenario vs 5 days? Wages would be the same, no?

#2594 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

People are really missing the context behind Ardern (PM of NZ) encouraging a four day work week. She also put the idea out that there should be an increase in the number of public holidays for a time. Why? To boost domestic tourism.

#2595 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Mr GG worked a 4 day work week for years.  4 -10 hour days, a long weekend every weekend.  We did lots of traveling in BC, spending our $ at home.

#2596 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:32 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Mr GG worked a 4 day work week for years.  4 -10 hour days, a long weekend every weekend.  We did lots of traveling in BC, spending our $ at home.

The people advocating for 4 day work weeks aren't thinking 10 hours a day!

Jack Ma of Alibaba was famous for advocating for the 4 day, 30 hour work week as well, unless of course you worked for him in which case the Chinese 9/9/7 applied (9AM to 9PM 7 days a week)

One thing about high profile folks, what they say and what they do are most often quite different!

Edited by spanky123, 27 May 2020 - 08:33 AM.

#2597 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

Won't work for anyone involved in the actual serious, necessary work of society. Shipping and freight, agriculture, energy, designing and manufacturing bombs and missiles to keep us one step ahead of the chinese

#2598 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

I personally would love a move to a 4 day work week, but it would be impossible unless all the other jurisdictions where my clients are also move to a 4-day week and it becomes a global norm. 

#2599 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

If a 4 day shows an improvement in productivity as Furstenau states, imagine what 3 day work week would show, 2 days would be off the chart.

If you pay every employee hourly you would find most are good with a 5 day work week.

I'm in favour of a 4 day week if the hours worked is about the same. Let folks have 3 day weekends, get the same hours of worked in at a higher productivity level.

Edited by lanforod, 27 May 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#2600 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

i’m pretty sure 4 x 10 hour days is not shown as more productive than the current.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users