Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

The coffee shop at the bus station has been purchased by Wilson's.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#542 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

It's been open a couple months now it's in a previous gas station it's owned by Coastline surf on Broad st

#543 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

A Serious Coffee on OB Ave. is for sale at $80k.

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8R1E4

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#544 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

‘We don’t want to be an office:’   Cafe owners are pulling the plug on WiFi

The Globe and Mail

Sunday, Apr. 30, 2017

... While most cafés offer free WiFi, including large chains such as Starbucks, McDonald’s and Tim Hortons, HotBlack is among a small but growing number of independent coffee shops choosing to ditch or limit Internet use. By not offering WiFi, they’re hoping to create more of a community atmosphere where people talk to each other instead of silently typing on their computers.

“People have socially taken for granted that the coffee shop is a workplace. We don’t want to be an office. We wanted to do it old school and be a social hub,” Mr. Bienenstock says.

…. The whole industry is struggling with the issue, says Robin Delany, owner of Delany’s Coffee House, which has five locations in Vancouver, two of which don’t have WiFi.

“It does take away from the ambience and vibrancy of a café when you have a number of tables tied up with one person at a time working on their computer,”….

http://www.theglobea...rticle34859828/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 April 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#545 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

For those whose eyes are not young enough to read Kungsberg's post above:

The Globe and Mail
Sunday, Apr. 30, 2017

http://www.theglobea...rticle34859828/

• Kungsberg likes this

#546 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

Alrighty mods, who edited my post?  :eek:

Capture.JPG

And how did Kungsberg's post develop larger font?

#547 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

Oh, I edited that font and also removed large portions of quoted text from both your posts.  As you know we do not post entire articles. 

• Kungsberg likes this

#548 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Oh, I edited that font and also removed large portions of quoted text from both your posts.  As you know we do not post entire articles. 

Just a quick heads-up as a courtesy would be nice. :) Modifying the font on Kungsberg's post makes mine redundant, so it can be deleted. Thanks!

• VicHockeyFan and Kungsberg like this

#549 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

https://www.realtor....571946/Victoria

Opportunity on a very busy downtown street to operate your own cafe with lots of possibilities. Only ten seats (could vary) and four sidewalk seats. Pleasant surroundings just renovated with appealing leasehold improvements. The present menu is International Fusion with many loyal regular customers. Very reasonable lease in place with an adjacent parking space. Present owners work very limited hours so a new owner could expand the hours of operation.

The former guitar shop next to Monk on Blanshard.

#550 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8V8V8

Looking for a coffee shop that makes good money and will enjoy working in? This one has it all! Wonderful atmosphere with lots of windows and nice decorations. There's enough seating (45) to hold large gatherings or meetings - not many coffee shops have this kind of capacity. Shop serves tasteful baked goods along with a lunch menu. Newest kitchen equipment and appliances. Liquor license is in place as well. Don't miss this opportunity to own a great coffee house in a nice neighborhood!!

$448,888

https://cdn.realtor..../7/382507_4.jpg

382507_6.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 September 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#551 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Is this the place mentioned above?

1971 OBA.JPG

#552 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Salt Spring Coffee Company's flagship cafe in Ganges is closing, abruptly, due to staffing shortages and they will take the time to retool and renovate the space.

https://saltspringex...t/cafe-closing/

#553 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I've been in there just once before during a trip over to the summer market. From the wording behind the link it looks like they expect it to be short term, and are using the timely closing to get some work done. Wonder if the local market will be impacted in any significant way in the meantime.

Edited by grantpalin, 04 September 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#554 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

I'm looking to hire one of their bakers, if that's what you mean. :)

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#555 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

And no, it won't. The shortage of staff, I am told, is mostly due to the natural ebb of seasonal employees leaving at the end of the season. Back to uni, etc.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#556 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

Shatterbox Coffew is opening soon in Victoria Public Market.

Meanwhile, yet another location of Serious Coffee has closed: James Bay.

#557 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

Meanwhile, yet another location of Serious Coffee has closed: James Bay.

(cue the Vader noooo)

I frequent that place! It's often busy when I'm there, I can't imagine that there's a lack of business, though there is competition nearby already and an upcoming Good Earth at Capital Park. I wonder if it's a lease-based issue like the Cook Street Village location.

#558 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

I wonder if it's a lease-based issue like the Cook Street Village location.

IMO it's likely something to do with the quality of the coffee.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:29 AM

I like the coffee at Serious' Blanshard and Fisgard location...or maybe it's just the demerara sugar they have available.  ;)

#560 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

And/or the total lack of ambience of most of their locations, their branding (that font is horrid), etc.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users