Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#601 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

...so why UVic thinks we need another one is beyond me.

Revenue, for sure.

Campuses are captive markets. Expect far more corporate presence in the years to come.

But have we confirmed that this is a corporate store and not a franchise operation the likes of the one in the former wax museum that’s just licensed as a Starbucks?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#602 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

Revenue, for sure.

Campuses are captive markets. Expect far more corporate presence in the years to come.

But have we confirmed that this is a corporate store and not a franchise operation the likes of the one in the former wax museum that’s just licensed as a Starbucks?

Statements from UVic indicate that this is a franchise location and the staff will continue to be part of the campus workers union. UVic has also said that a corporate option is one of the biggest feedback requests they get from visitors to campus, such as athletes, convention and conference attendees, and move-in-day parents.

I was only at UVic for one year myself, back in 2007/08, but that Starbucks by Gyro was always packed with UVic kids. The demand is definitely there.

#603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

Ah ok, so the only thing corporate will be the provider of the coffee and some snacks. Big deal.

I'm willing to bet there'll be a lot of Nike's worn to that UVic anti-corporate coffee protest  :whyme:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#604 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:35 PM

Nike is all over the Vikes branded clothes too... its not like big corporate isn't already at UVic.

#605 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

Geez Louise, you’re absolutely right.

Know it all.

#606 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

I think there is a demand for both locally-roasted coffee and Starbucks at UVIC, so why can’t the campus accommodate both? UBC has at least two Starbucks on campus in addition to a completely independent coffee shop near the heart of campus. Two local chains (Blenz and Bean Around the World) are also on the edge of the campus.

I go to Starbucks sometimes and independent cafes sometimes so it’s nice to have a choice.
  • Nparker and zenbunny like this

#607 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

^ Yup, literally across the street in the SUB you can get Kicking Horse Coffee. The rest of UVic is supplied by Canterbury Coffee, I believe.

• zenbunny likes this

#608 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Murchies downtown makes a pretty good espresso. One time my daughter and I were in a Starbucks (no alternative) and they really didn't know what we wanted when we said an espresso please. I rarely drink coffee out, my own is better, lol.

#609 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

Another Serious Coffee location has closed: the Oak Bay location is now Fres Cafe (no H at the end of Fres).

That makes 3 Serious closures this year...

#610 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:03 PM

Cook Street Village, Oak Bay, and where was the third, again?

Know it all.

#611 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

James Bay.

#612 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:26 PM

Good riddance. Still a bunch left though. My money is on the Mayfair location to go next due to being surrounded by 3 starbucks and a timmies.

#613 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

Good riddance. Still a bunch left though. My money is on the Mayfair location to go next due to being surrounded by 3 starbucks and a timmies.

My guess is that the three strongest locations in terms of patronage are Esquimalt (in the country grocer plaza), Sooke, and the Broad Street location. Blanchard might be able hold on and wait for the build-out of the Hudson District. But the Public Market already has Shatterbox and 2% Jazz is a tenant in the same building.

I wonder if the corporate office is going to make changes to turn this ship around?

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 26 November 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#614 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

My guess is that the three strongest locations in terms of patronage are Esquimalt (in the country grocer plaza), Sooke, and the Broad Street location. Blanchard might be able hold on and wait for the build-out of the Hudson District. But the Public Market already has Shatterbox and 2% Jazz is a tenant in the same building.

I wonder if the corporate office is going to make changes to turn this ship around?

Maybe they'll go the Second Cup route and convert some stores to dispensary cafes... Second Cup has two in the works in Alberta, I believe.

Edited by Jackerbie, 26 November 2018 - 04:24 PM.

#615 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

Maybe they'll go the Second Cup route and convert some stores to dispensary cafes... Second Cup has two in the works in Alberta, I believe.I would prefer that they try to imrpove the quality of their baked goods and roasted coffee beans  Inothi

I would prefer that they try to improve the quality of their coffee and baked goods.  But methinks that franchised coffee shops are a challenging business model (witness the issues faced by Tim Hortons, despite the high volumes of revenue generated by their stores); owners of franchised coffee shops generally have to pay an upfront fee followed by ongoing royalties, costs that are generally not borne by their independent competitors

#616 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

[deleted]

Edited by Dinya, 05 December 2018 - 09:02 AM.

#617 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

Interesting. I noticed workers doing exterior work to the building a few weeks ago, including removal of the dated black tile along the bottom of the building. Has work there finished?

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

Who’s the new owner of the building?

Know it all.

#619 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:57 PM

[deleted] as its a non-existent issue now.

Edited by Dinya, 05 December 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#620 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

Someone has leased the former Serious Coffee in James Bay; perhaps it will become a new purveyor of espresso?

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 30 November 2018 - 03:38 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users